Prolactin 1 point high, is this significicant?

jonko

Awards
I have had low t all my life, and gynocomastia since childhood. When I had my T tested 6 months ago prolactin was elevated by 1 point, the doc wasn't concerned because only 1 point.

Last week I had a complete blood test from Genova so I will have those results soon.
But I was thinking about that prolactin test. Does 1 point elevated signify anything serious?

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Not really. My prolactin has always been a few points over range and it has never caused me any problems. My doctor seemed to think that was very common for many males who work out.
Did your complete bloodwork include a test for estrogen? Many doctors will not test that for males because they don't believe it has any significance. If it isn't included, you need to get your estrogen level checked. Even if you have to pay for it yourself.
Elevated estrogen could be the cause for all of your symptoms.

jonko

Awards
Not really. My prolactin has always been a few points over range and it has never caused me any problems. My doctor seemed to think that was very common for many males who work out.
Did your complete bloodwork include a test for estrogen? Many doctors will not test that for males because they don't believe it has any significance. If it isn't included, you need to get your estrogen level checked. Even if you have to pay for it yourself.
No, my prior doctor was completely clueless about HRT. The only thingnhe ever check was total T and prolactin, lol.
I had a "real" blood test last week, waiting for the results from Genova Labs

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I've never heard this before. Any additional info on this?

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I've never heard this before. Any additional info on this?
Not really. Since I never had any problems with it, I never bothered to research it further.

To the original poster: If you are still concerned, SAMe, P5P and Vitamin E are all effective for lowering prolactin levels.

jonko

Awards
I take Lexapro and I read that will raise prolactin

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I take Lexapro and I read that will raise prolactin
Are you on HRT for the low testosterone? Low test can cause many of the symptoms that SSRI's are prescribed for. Some men can totally eliminate the need for SSRI's after starting HRT.
I would be more concerned about the negative effects that SSRI's have on sexual function than being 1 point high on prolactin. Very high prolactin can cause males to lactate, but not at your level.