TSH levels and free T3/T4

J

jdub1980

Awards
My doc put me on synthroid after seeing that my TSH was high before looking at free T3/T4. He plans on testing free T3/T4 along with thyroid antibodies and reverse T3 in one month. I will have been on synthroid .75 mg for 2 months by the time the other tests will be done. I am wondering how accurate the tests will be. I think he should have tested for T3/T4 before putting me on synthroid.

Does a high TSH usually mean low T3/T4?
Did my doc jump the gun by putting me on synthroid before running other labs?

Also, I am waiting on the results from a 24 hour saliva test for adrenal function. Will probably get those results when I go for bloodwork in 1 month. If adrenals are weak, could that be the reason my TSH was so high?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Your dr is very misinformed. You always test t4/t3, antibodies, rt3, ft4.ft3 before putting on thyroid medicine. Even elevated TSH you can have normal ft4 ft3 levels because your body may be in a stress condition where the pituary may be giving wrong readings, but thyroid levels are fine.

High tsh does not always mean low thyroid levels.
I have seen low tsh = low t3 and t4
Your dr assumed something that with out confirmation which is poor judgement.
I had a guy with high tsh and ft3 ft4 high range which ended up being peripheral thyroid deficeincy due to food allergies and low ferritin,

J

jdub1980

Awards
Thanks for the quick response Matrix. I have been on synthroid for one month. My next appointment for bloodwork is on June 8. I'm probably going to keep taking the synthroid at least until I go back for more tests to see if my TSH levels come down. If TSH comes down, I will know that there was something wrong with my thryoid. If TSH doesn't come down, I will know to look elsewhere (pituitary or hypothalamus). Does this sound like good logic?

J

jdub1980

Awards
Decided to lay off synthroid for 1 month before bloodwork. Will my t3/t4 levels be back to where they would have been before being on synthroid for 1 month?

D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Thyroid levels recover very quickly after coming off of thyroid meds. Sometimes as soon as 1 week.

J

jdub1980

Awards
Yeah, I read somewhere that synthroid stays in system for 8 days. Just didn't know if thyroid would have recovered by then. If new bloodwork shows that something is wrong, I am going to ask doc about a t3/t4 approach instead of just t4. Maybe desicated thyroid or armour.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 35 and Older 0
Kronic Supplements 2
Aesthete Anabolics 9
G Anabolics 3
M Weight Loss 0