25yr Old Started Androgel for Low T

R

Rex32

Awards
Hey Guys,

I have a long standing issue with low testosterone. I've been very embarrassed by my fisique and overall body structure as it just isn't masculane at all. Whenever I gain weight it heads right for my ass, hips and worst of all TITS! I finally spoke to my doctor about this as it was causing me so much anxiety, I don't even go in swimming pools or the beach.

Anyway I got my levels checked and the results showed my total T levels around 380 nd/Dl which isn't too bad I suppose. My Free % was 2.64 with a free amount of 100.0 pg/mL. My doctor didn't want to start me on anything at those levels.

I was still really worried and frustrated because I know something just isn't right. I have no body hair on my chest and only 'peach fuzz' on my chin. So I had my levels rechecked in March. They only check my total but at this point it was 229. At this point I started on 5G of Androgel. That brought my levels up to 333, so I was increased to 7.5G. I forget what that brought me to but I was upped yet again to 10G, where I am now.

I'm happy with the Androgel dose, and I do have a bit more energy but that's about the only affect I've noticed thus far. I want to learn more about what is going on with my body and how to better treat it and I thought this forum might help me do that.

I also think I need to have more complete labs done, but I'm not sure what that would entail. I also thing I should be doing something to keep my Estrogen low and maybe something so my testicles don't stop producing T all together, correct?

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,

Rex

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Before jumping on the HRT bandwagon you need to look at why your T is low in the first place. You need to look at biological, emotoinal, lifestyle, and environmental imbalances before being given a drug. Condeming a guy to HRT with out a reason is just being lazy. Dr's are too lazy to dig for the reasons why you are having these issues. Give a drug then need another drug to counteract it side effects when it may not be needed in the first place.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
You definitely need your E2 levels checked. Most of those issues sound estrogen related, and starting up trt, especially androgel is only going to make matters worse for you if you don't run an AI or something for your estrogen.

R

Rex32

Awards
Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually just moved home from out West so I need to find a doctor here to treat this issue. What type of doctor should I look for? I have a shrink appointment tomorrow so I can ask him for referrals.

As for having levels tested, is that something I can go and have done on my own or do I need a doctor to write an order or something?

Thx,

Rex

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually just moved home from out West so I need to find a doctor here to treat this issue. What type of doctor should I look for? I have a shrink appointment tomorrow so I can ask him for referrals.

As for having levels tested, is that something I can go and have done on my own or do I need a doctor to write an order or something?

Thx,

Rex
What state are you in?

R

Rex32

Awards
I found a doctor who is near my house on TuneUpYourT.com that I saw a link to in one of the stickys, would this doctor be a good place to start?

Thx,

Rex

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
Why are doctors STILL prescribing Androgel ?????? It's all over the Net, it's been proven in several clinical studies that Testim gel has a 33% better absorption rate than Androgel. My test jumped from the 500's to 787 just by switching to Testim.

Call your doctor and change your script!!! Tell him I said so!!!

R

Rex32

Awards
Man I just had my Androgel script written a week ago, I could have had it switched then as a friend wrote the script so I wouldn't have to go off of it until I find a doctor in DE.

Damn it!

Rex

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Man I just had my Androgel script written a week ago, I could have had it switched then as a friend wrote the script so I wouldn't have to go off of it until I find a doctor in DE.

Damn it!

Rex
We are located just outside of philadelphia..
Sounds to me like an antiaging clinic which are majority a waste of time.

D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
You definitely need your E2 levels checked. Most of those issues sound estrogen related, and starting up trt, especially androgel is only going to make matters worse for you if you don't run an AI or something for your estrogen.
Not necessarily. Many men are able to run testosterone without an AI. The key is to dose it frequently and not use more than you actually need.
As a group, we TRT users seem to get caught up in the numbers.
Everyone believes they need to be in the upper quartile without realizing if you use more than your individual chemistry can handle, you are just converting it to estrogen.

The OP definately needs to get with LabCorp and have his e2 checked. He can get some DIM and deal with estrogen naturally while he is figuring everything else out.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily. Many men are able to run testosterone without an AI. The key is to dose it frequently and not use more than you actually need.
As a group, we TRT users seem to get caught up in the numbers.
Everyone believes they need to be in the upper quartile without realizing if you use more than your individual chemistry can handle, you are just converting it to estrogen.

The OP definately needs to get with LabCorp and have his e2 checked. He can get some DIM and deal with estrogen naturally while he is figuring everything else out.

I was under the impression that specifically with gel based test, estrogen is almost always a problem for everybody, not the case?

D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that specifically with gel based test, estrogen is almost always a problem for everybody, not the case?
No. Generally the opposite because gels raise DHT more that other test sources and DHT helps suppress estrogen levels.
If we were all able to absorb test gel properly, TD would be the superior choice for HRT. The problem is, some males just don't absorb it optimaly.

D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I was still really worried and frustrated because I know something just isn't right. I have no body hair on my chest and only 'peach fuzz' on my chin.
I'm happy with the Androgel dose, and I do have a bit more energy but that's about the only affect I've noticed thus far.
I also think I should be doing something to keep my Estrogen low and maybe something so my testicles don't stop producing T all together, correct?

Rex
Androgel is your best choice IF you are going to have to do HRT because the body hair issue is controlled by your DHT levels not testosterone.
How long have you been on HRT? What effects are you looking for that you haven't experienced yet?
Never treat estrogen until you have blood tests showing you need to treat estrogen. Low levels of estrogen are just as devastationg to a male as elevated levels.
Did your doctor try to raise your test levels through other means before jumping on HRT?
You sound like you want HCG, but I don't think anyone realizes the problems HCG causes with estrogen levels.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Androgel is your best choice IF you are going to have to do HRT because the body hair issue is controlled by your DHT levels not testosterone.
How long have you been on HRT? What effects are you looking for that you haven't experienced yet?
Never treat estrogen until you have blood tests showing you need to treat estrogen. Low levels of estrogen are just as devastationg to a male as elevated levels.
Did your doctor try to raise your test levels through other means before jumping on HRT?
You sound like you want HCG, but I don't think anyone realizes the problems HCG causes with estrogen levels.
I know first hand waht hcg does to e2. Why i stopped it because its not worth the rollerocoaster ride. Now I have reduce hcgin many dr patient to 100 ius every 3 days and it works wonders with out e2 increases, but still results in benefits on LH receptors through out the body. When on hrt i no longer use hcg to boost T levels but just to replace the deprived LH

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I know first hand waht hcg does to e2. Why i stopped it because its not worth the rollerocoaster ride. Now I have reduce hcgin many dr patient to 100 ius every 3 days and it works wonders with out e2 increases, but still results in benefits on LH receptors through out the body. When on hrt i no longer use hcg to boost T levels but just to replace the deprived LH
From what I have read, obviously you can use hcg the entire time, but that if you don't want to, you don't really NEED to start worrying about needing hcg until possibly as long as 6 months down the road on trt. Is this correct?

R

Rex32

Awards
!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice and input.

This low-t thing has been bugging me for years and I pushed my doctor pretty hard to just put me on something to raise it. Doctors out West are kind of a push over!

The main benefits I'm trying to derive are to look more masculine overall. I get very little facial hair and just on my chin, and it is all blonde... I have brown hair. I also don't have any hair on my chest or anything.

I also just don't have the body of a 25 year old guy. I get fat to my boobs and ass all the time. It is really hard for me to put on muscle and really hard to loose the last 10 - 15lbs I feel I need to. And when I gain a pound it goes right to the tits!

I tried Androgel first in January but I only used it once because my doctor was really far away and it was just such a huge process. Now that I am back East, I have been on it with 100% consistently for 5 weeks. I know I'm not going to see anything amazing in a little over a month, but I wanted to make sure I was doing things properly and not just making things worse.

TheMatrix - I'm a little confused by your post, but I'm going to shoot you a PM.

I think I touched on all your guys questions, but if I missed anything please let me know!

Thx again for all the help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!

-Rex

W

WerdUp

Awards
Hmmm. Many things I do not like about this. You realize exogenous testosterone will only REDUCE your natural ability to produce your own test. Your test levels pulse throughout the day. When was your bloodwork done? They should be the highest in the morning. I very much agree you need a full hormone panel done including all estrogens.
I went to get my bloods done post cycle and BAM! doc wants to put me on HRT. I knew better and now my test levels are back to normal, it just took some time.

Also, what is your history with anabolics, PH, etc. No one has asked and if you are on this site, i'm sure you've gone through the anabolics section.

R

Rex32

Awards
I've actually never done any type of steroids before, I just was looking around for what I thought we be a good forum to seek advice. I have taken Clen once but that was years ago to loose a bit of weight.

I also have my labs done first thing in the morning before I eat.

I also agree that the Androgel may just be putting a bandaid on the problem rather than addressing it and I'd really like to figure out why my test levels are so low and ultimately fix that.

It could be a pseudo effect but I'm pretty sure my tits have gone down a bit...

-Rex

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice and input.

This low-t thing has been bugging me for years and I pushed my doctor pretty hard to just put me on something to raise it. Doctors out West are kind of a push over!

The main benefits I'm trying to derive are to look more masculine overall. I get very little facial hair and just on my chin, and it is all blonde... I have brown hair. I also don't have any hair on my chest or anything.

I also just don't have the body of a 25 year old guy. I get fat to my boobs and ass all the time. It is really hard for me to put on muscle and really hard to loose the last 10 - 15lbs I feel I need to. And when I gain a pound it goes right to the tits!

I tried Androgel first in January but I only used it once because my doctor was really far away and it was just such a huge process. Now that I am back East, I have been on it with 100% consistently for 5 weeks. I know I'm not going to see anything amazing in a little over a month, but I wanted to make sure I was doing things properly and not just making things worse.

TheMatrix - I'm a little confused by your post, but I'm going to shoot you a PM.

I think I touched on all your guys questions, but if I missed anything please let me know!

Thx again for all the help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!

-Rex
Dude if your already growing breast, extra test will only make them bigger. Your problem seems like estrogen. You need to reduce your estrogen, (which will boost test as a side effect). Lowering body fat can reduce estrogen. There are also ways, both supplemental and perscribed, that reduce estrogen. You might wanna see a doctor about why your estrogen mght be high. If you can reduce your estro for a few months, and you still have tits, you might wanna research what you can do about that. The good news is that surgery wouldnt be the only option.

M

MusicMan

Awards
I have had testosterone readings ranging from 298-323 and was told that this was "perfectly normal". I AM 28 YEARS OLD! Even an endo told me that it was absolutely fine. How is it that I know more about testosterone than a board-certified endocrinologist? He also explained to me that testosterone cannot effect mood or sleep patterns and that I needed to see a therapist for my "emotional issue". Are you f-ing kidding me!?!?! I am 28 years old, have no energy or libido, difficulty getting/keeping erections, terrible sleep, and depressive mood and I have a "normal" t level of a 70 year old! So, I am taking matters into my own hands. I'm going to order the Androforte 5% and get my own lab tests done every few months. My e2, DHEA, prolactin, etc. are all in range.