Varicocele and lifting ...

useyourhead

Awards
Hey guys I've read some threads here in the past regarding Varicocecles and I just got diagnosed with one today. I had a testicular ultrasound done because of frequent urination and a slight aching in my left testicle. The doctor came back and said I had a varicocele and to make an appointment with a Urologist - which I have done. I feel like I acquired this from lifting, or it got worse because of my routine. I never have done strenuous ab work outs but started too a couple of weeks ago and now this.

My question is ... is it a bad idea for me to be lifting weights right now. Will it make the varicocele worse? I'd prefer to continue with my routine if it is not going to make a difference good or bad

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
I have had bi-lateral varicoceles since i was a teenager and never knew it. I was physically active in highschool, but didnt lift then, and through my 20s was lazy and just sat around drinking beer. In my 30s i started lifting and pushed myself very hard, and the mass in my nuts never changed. Varicoceles are theoretically caused by bad valves in the veins and occurred long before I ever did a 400+ lbs squat or deadlift.

btw any exercise that requires you tighten your abs/core up will cause the varicocele to momentarily swell. so in addition to ab exercises add almsot all leg exercises, almost all compound exercises and so on.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I've had a varicocele for 40 years and I've been working out for 35.

useyourhead

Awards
hey guys. sorry to bring back on old threat but i know a little more now. I saw the urologist today. He did a physical exam and said that my varicocele was extremely moderate, and should just be checked on a couple of times a year. Is there conclusive evidence that varicocele get progressively worse faster if you actively lift weights? Now I am paranoid that I am going to have to quit lifting unless I get surgery.

southpaw41

southpaw41

Awards
hey guys. sorry to bring back on old threat but i know a little more now. I saw the urologist today. He did a physical exam and said that my varicocele was extremely moderate, and should just be checked on a couple of times a year. Is there conclusive evidence that varicocele get progressively worse faster if you actively lift weights? Now I am paranoid that I am going to have to quit lifting unless I get surgery.
Unless you are having pain or discomfort while lifting/exercising I wouldn’t worry about it. Try not to fret about varicoceles too much like I did it’s not that big of a deal.

Leon Kennedy

Awards
Unless you are having pain or discomfort while lifting/exercising I wouldn’t worry about it. Try not to fret about varicoceles too much like I did it’s not that big of a deal.
According to this study, it is an issue - Google this title as the forum won't let me post links yet:
Differences in the clinical characteristics between young and elderly men with varicocoele S.-S. Chen

I do worry, not because the pain is unbearable, but cos I fear what it might be doing to my nuts, and also, the chance that weights might make it even worse over time.

Leon Kennedy

Awards
Did you get your v operated on?

southpaw41

southpaw41

Awards
Did you get your v operated on?
yea in feb 2010, i have a grade 2-3 on left side. i would say the veins deflated a bit post surgery but can still easily see them when standing so idk how effective the surgery really was. im 24 now and lifted since i was 15 or so and continue to do so about 3 times a week. i have not noticed a "worsening" of the varicocele by lifting pre or post surgery and both nuts seem to still be the same size.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
According to this study, it is an issue - Google this title as the forum won't let me post links yet:
Differences in the clinical characteristics between young and elderly men with varicocoele S.-S. Chen

I do worry, not because the pain is unbearable, but cos I fear what it might be doing to my nuts, and also, the chance that weights might make it even worse over time.
I would not worry about that too much all it does is demonstrate that after 30+ years of varicocele you see degraded testicular function....it doesn't look in any way at whether high blood pressure (chronic or momentarily high from lifting) increases varicocele size.