Reducing Refractory Period

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Is Mucuna Pruriens the best supplement to help reduce the refractory period?

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
I believe the prescription drug cabergoline is far more effective for those purposes. It is a powerful dopamine receptor agonist which counteracts prolactin.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I believe the prescription drug cabergoline is far more effective for those purposes. It is a powerful dopamine receptor agonist which counteracts prolactin.
Find out why you are having this issue..

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Are you referring to the protein refractory period Layne Norton discusses in much of his writings and research?

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Looking for something over the counter.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Are you referring to the protein refractory period Layne Norton discusses in much of his writings and research?
im assuming hes speaking in terms of when he can run another batch off lol

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Reduce refractory period?

I don't think so pal ...

Nature built that period in to force you to talk to her.

Suck it up!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Yes, exactly; suggestions?

Does Mucuna Pruriens help with something like this?
ive heard people say that powerfull helps but who knows. some people can go right away others cannot.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Nah, there are ways to minimize it :)

Anyone else using Mucuna Pruriens for this purpose?

Reduce refractory period?

I don't think so pal ...

Nature built that period in to force you to talk to her.

Suck it up!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you know what works? a new hot piece of as$.
The Coolidge effect

In biology and psychology, the Coolidge effect is a phenomenon—seen in nearly every mammalian species in which it has been tested—whereby both males and females exhibit continuous high sexual performance given the introduction of new receptive partners

The original experiments with rats followed this protocol:[6] A male rat would be placed into an enclosed large box with four or five female rats in estrus. He would immediately begin mating with all of the female rats repeatedly until eventually exhausted. Although the females would continue nudging and licking him to continue, he would not respond. However, if a novel female were introduced to the box, he would become alert and find the ability to mate once again with the new female. This phenomenon is not limited to Rattus norvegicus.[7] It is attributed to an increase in dopamine levels and its subsequent effect upon the limbic system.[8]

Human males experience a post-ejaculatory refractory period after sex. They are temporarily incapable of engaging in sex with the same female after ejaculation and require time to recover full sexual function. In popular reference, the Coolidge effect is the well-documented phenomenon that the post-ejaculatory refractory period is reduced or eliminated if a separate female becomes available.[9] This effect is cited by evolutionary biologists as a reason why males are more likely to desire sex with a greater number and variety of partners than females.[9]

While the Coolidge effect is usually seen demonstrated by males—that is, males displaying renewed excitement with a novel female—Lester and Gorzalka developed a model to determine whether or not the Coolidge effect also occurs in females. Their experiment, which used hamsters instead of rats, found that it does occur in lesser degrees in females.[3][4]

Ethologist Frank A. Beach is credited with naming the "Coolidge effect" in 1955, after one of his students suggested the term at a psychology conference.[5] He attributed the neologism to:

"... an old joke about Calvin Coolidge when he was President... The President and Mrs. Coolidge were being shown [separately] around an experimental government farm. When [Mrs. Coolidge] came to the chicken yard she noticed that a rooster was mating very frequently. She asked the attendant how often that happened and was told, “Dozens of times each day.” Mrs. Coolidge said, “Tell that to the President when he comes by.” Upon being told, President asked, “Same hen every time?” The reply was, “Oh, no, Mr. President, a different hen every time.” President: “Tell that to Mrs. Coolidge.”[5]

References1.^ Reber, A. S. & Reber, E., The Penguin dictionary of psychology (3rd ed.), London: Penguin, ISBN 0140514511
2.^ Brown, R. E. (1974), "Sexual arousal, the Coolidge effect and dominance in the rat (Rattus norvegicus)", Animal Behaviour 22 (3): 634–637, doi:10.1016/S0003-3472(74)80009-6
3.^ a b Lester, GL; Gorzalka, BB (1988), "Effect of novel and familiar mating partners on the duration of sexual receptivity in the female hamster", Behavioral Neural Biology 49 (3): 398–405, PMID 3408449
4.^ a b Pinel, John (2007), Biopsychology (6th ed.), Boston: Pearson Allyn and Bacon, ISBN 0205426514
5.^ a b Dewsbury, Donald A. (2000) "Frank A. Beach, Master Teacher," Portraits of Pioneers in Psychology, Volume 4, p269-281
6.^ Beach, F. A. & Jordan, L. (1956), "Sexual Exhaustion and Recovery in the Male Rat", Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 8: 121–133
7.^ Wilson, J; Kuehn, R. & Beach, F. A. (1963), "Modifications in the Sexual Behavior of Male Rats Produced by Changing the Stimulus Female", Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology 56: 636–644
8.^ Fiorino, D. F.; Coury, A. & Phillips, A. G. (1997), "Dynamic Changes in Nucleus Accumbens Dopamine Efflux During the Coolidge Effect in Male Rats", Journal of Neuroscience 17 (12): 4849–4855, http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/17/12/4849
9.^ a b Hergenhahn, B. R.; Olson, Matthew H. (2003), An introduction to theories of personality, Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, pp. 396–397, ISBN 0130992267
10.^ Koene J. M. & Maat A. T. (6 November 2007) "Coolidge effect in pond snails: male motivation in a simultaneous hermaphrodite". BMC Evolutionary Biology 7: 212. doi:10.1186/1471-2148-7-212
11.^ Häderer I. K., Werminghausen J., Michiels N. K., Timmermeyer N. & Anthes N. (12 October 2009) "No effect of mate novelty on sexual motivation in the freshwater snail Biomphalaria glabrata". Frontiers in Zoology 66: 23. doi:10.1186/1742-9994-6-23.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I like that last paragraph with the joke! That was funny!

From what I understand, after you orgasm, your dopamine levels take a hit. Because dopamine is the main antagonist to prolactin (which is responsible for breast milk and turning off sex drive), while your dopamine is low, your prolactin is high. Your dopamine then begins to rise again (which will begin antagonizing the excess prolactin production), and the time required to get your prolactin levels back to optimal range is your "refractory period".

Pramipexole, Cabergoline work the best from what I understand, as they are pharmaceutical dopamine agonists (emulate dopamine), so it is possible to inhibit prolactin to ZERO!

P-5-P, L-Dopa, and Vitex (Chaste-berry) are the best OTC for prolactin control (from what I hear, I've never tried any of these). Dopamine is made from L-Dopa, but I don't know how the others work. Hope I helped! As always, ask around, I'm not a professional!

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Being young helps. I don't know about refractory period but MP gives me morning wood like crazy.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
HA HA!

So anyone else using Mucuna Pruriens for this purpose?
Not for this purpose, but I have used it and it didn't do anything for that purpose.
I noticed a loss of size and strength while using it though.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Mucuna Pruriens contains L-Dopa, but in small quantities (and L-Dopa is a precursor to dopamine: see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-DOPA). If you supplement with it, the L-Dopa quantity needs to be concentrated. Also, it appears vitamin B-6 is essential for the conversion of L-Dopa to dopamine, so supplementing with it (or P-5-P I think may be substituted) may also be necessary. The increase in dopamine should reduce prolactin, thus decreasing refractory period, although there would be a biological limit to this effect, depending on the quantity of the enzyme necessary to convert the L-Dopa to dopamine, thus proving why there are pharmaceuticals to bypass this limitation.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
For what purposes did you use it for then?

Loss of size and strength????

Not for this purpose, but I have used it and it didn't do anything for that purpose.
I noticed a loss of size and strength while using it though.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
For what purposes did you use it for then?

Loss of size and strength????
Trying to increase dopamine levels for the positive influence on mood while avoiding the negative impact on sexual performance that seratonin causes.
I have used bromocriptine in the past for the same reason and suffered a loss of (muscular) size and strength on that also.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Trying to increase dopamine levels for the positive influence on mood while avoiding the negative impact on sexual performance that seratonin causes.
I have used bromocriptine in the past for the same reason and suffered a loss of (muscular) size and strength on that also.
That's really odd, because increasing dopamine has been shown to dramatically increase HGH. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm just trying to help), but there may be something else going on with you that you may want to look into if the bromocriptine decreased your muscle mass. I'm pretty sure that increasing dopamine should decrease prolactin, and since prolactin is involved in the HPTA negative feedback loop, testosterone should increase as well. Just tryin ta help, please don't take this post the wrong way! Have a great day!
--Brian

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
That's really odd, because increasing dopamine has been shown to dramatically increase HGH. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm just trying to help), but there may be something else going on with you that you may want to look into if the bromocriptine decreased your muscle mass. I'm pretty sure that increasing dopamine should decrease prolactin, and since prolactin is involved in the HPTA negative feedback loop, testosterone should increase as well. Just tryin ta help, please don't take this post the wrong way! Have a great day!
--Brian
I've used supraphysiological levels of GH in the past also (for more than 6 months). While I did maintain muscle with it, it did not help to add any new muscle, but I did lose fat.

Bob Jones

Awards
Hard ons come and go , just like girl friends and bosses .