Lifting and Liver Panels

  1. Registered User
    southpaw41's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    71
    Answers
    0

    Lifting and Liver Panels


    Iíve been getting blood tests for liver functions to track my recovery from mono which I had back in August-September and got a question. Can lifting/gym activities skew liver panels? Specifically ALT(SGPT) and AST(SGOT)?

    I feel like the effects of mono have subsided but the following tests show something is still going on. Iíve been hitting the gym pretty hard over the past month and want to know if I should stop. I havenít been consuming alcohol. I have an appt with a hematologist coming up but wanted your guyís input.

    12/10/2010:
    ALT(SGPT): 74 (0-65)
    AST(SGOT): 87 (0-45)

    2/16/2011
    ALT(SGPT): 67 (0-65)
    AST(SGOT): 162 (0-45)

    Thanks

  2. Registered User
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,142
    Answers
    0


    Yes it can, especially if you have trained within 24 hours of the test

  3. Registered User
    ConcreteConny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,054
    Answers
    0


    From my understand and my doctors point of view liver values can be higher than normal if you train very hard and intense very often. I lift Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. And I train MMA Monday, Wednsday, Friday. So basically Saturday is my only OFF day.

    I have had elevated liver values coz of this + high protein intake.

    My doctor recommended me to slow down but pff, like I'd do that

    Just thought I'd share.

    //CC
    SNS - Serious Nutrition Solutions
    My advice is exclusively my own and may not correspond with the views of SNS
    Questions or concerns? → conny[@]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw41 View Post
    I’ve been getting blood tests for liver functions to track my recovery from mono which I had back in August-September and got a question. Can lifting/gym activities skew liver panels? Specifically ALT(SGPT) and AST(SGOT)?

    I feel like the effects of mono have subsided but the following tests show something is still going on. I’ve been hitting the gym pretty hard over the past month and want to know if I should stop. I haven’t been consuming alcohol. I have an appt with a hematologist coming up but wanted your guy’s input.

    12/10/2010:
    ALT(SGPT): 74 (0-65)
    AST(SGOT): 87 (0-45)

    2/16/2011
    ALT(SGPT): 67 (0-65)
    AST(SGOT): 162 (0-45)

    Thanks
    Body is not just recovering
    Once a person has heptitatis or other viral infection liver enzymes may end up being high for a prolong peroid of time even up to years.
    I be looking at magnesium deficiency, subclincal hypothyroidism, overtraining or bodies ablity to not recovery properly. May be advisableto run CPK as it will give an indication of muscle break down which could be a sign to slow down and slower recovery.
  5. Registered User
    southpaw41's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    71
    Answers
    0


    ryansm- yea I lifted the night before the bloodwork and the sample was drawn the next morning. So yea I am assuming there was some impact but the range being almost 3x the max range has be concerned. Is it possible foe someone with an already healthy liver to have similar results if they are lifting a lot?

    ConcreteConny: I dont lift that much and prob not as intense as you do. I'm in the gym 3-4x week working back/bi's, chest/tri, legs/shoulder on a rotation. My protein intake i would say is on the high side. I want to continue lifting but am worried that doing so could cause damage..

    Matrix: As you know I've been feeling bad even before the mono. I really do beleive hypothyroid is a very real possibility for me. My mom's side has thyroid issues and the symptoms here hit the nail on the head http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...-symptoms-men/. I'm gonna schedule another appt with my endocrin and get a full look at thyroid.

    Do you guys think it's safe for me to keep lifting or should I take a break? Obviously I dont want to continue if I risk damaging my liver. I though just alcohol and contact sport were an issue but apparently I may be wrong.
  6. Registered User
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw41 View Post
    ryansm- yea I lifted the night before the bloodwork and the sample was drawn the next morning. So yea I am assuming there was some impact but the range being almost 3x the max range has be concerned. Is it possible foe someone with an already healthy liver to have similar results if they are lifting a lot?

    ConcreteConny: I dont lift that much and prob not as intense as you do. I'm in the gym 3-4x week working back/bi's, chest/tri, legs/shoulder on a rotation. My protein intake i would say is on the high side. I want to continue lifting but am worried that doing so could cause damage..

    Matrix: As you know I've been feeling bad even before the mono. I really do beleive hypothyroid is a very real possibility for me. My mom's side has thyroid issues and the symptoms here hit the nail on the head http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...-symptoms-men/. I'm gonna schedule another appt with my endocrin and get a full look at thyroid.

    Do you guys think it's safe for me to keep lifting or should I take a break? Obviously I dont want to continue if I risk damaging my liver. I though just alcohol and contact sport were an issue but apparently I may be wrong.
    I work out night before my blood work and I have no issues even with liver enzymes. As a medical profesional one would wonder what look for other explaination why which could be your prolonged infection..
  7. Registered User
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,142
    Answers
    0


    Ya I agree with the Matrix, go back to the doc and get some extensive blood work done. Express your concerns and even bring up what you heard here<can't hurt. By the way what medications are you taking if any, and did you take any OTC drugs prior to the test?

  8. Registered User
    SufferingEd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    359
    Answers
    0


    First off don't panic. I get blood work done every other week and have for the last year and a half. Doctors will tell you as will the lab rats, that even though there is a normal range for everything it is not uncommon for someone to be high one week and low the next. I've even seen it a lot on my blood work, liver enzymes running a little high then down then high. It has to do with what you eat, activites ,ect. Lots of things can raise your liver enzymes, as long as they don't go extremly high and stay there then you should be fine. Take some milk thistle if your worried it will help. But as every one suggested it is always good to talk to your doc too just to make sure everything is fine.
  9. Registered User
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SufferingEd View Post
    First off don't panic. I get blood work done every other week and have for the last year and a half. Doctors will tell you as will the lab rats, that even though there is a normal range for everything it is not uncommon for someone to be high one week and low the next. I've even seen it a lot on my blood work, liver enzymes running a little high then down then high. It has to do with what you eat, activites ,ect. Lots of things can raise your liver enzymes, as long as they don't go extremly high and stay there then you should be fine. Take some milk thistle if your worried it will help. But as every one suggested it is always good to talk to your doc too just to make sure everything is fine.
    Lab work done every other week..I bet your insurance company loves you unless you are getting it done on your own. Your dr would not have medical justification for doing lab work every other week.
  10. Registered User
    SufferingEd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    359
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Lab work done every other week..I bet your insurance company loves you unless you are getting it done on your own. Your dr would not have medical justification for doing lab work every other week.
    Dr. no, Onoclogist yes. Batteling cancer since Oct. 09 so I get blood work done every other week. I still take supps just have to keep an eye on my blood work. I dont take creatine right now, too hard on the liver. My oncologist say I'm the only patient she has thats still putting on muscle while doing chemo.
  11. Registered User
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SufferingEd View Post
    Dr. no, Onoclogist yes. Batteling cancer since Oct. 09 so I get blood work done every other week. I still take supps just have to keep an eye on my blood work. I dont take creatine right now, too hard on the liver. My oncologist say I'm the only patient she has thats still putting on muscle while doing chemo.
    I have used glutamine with chemo people and works great
    Little info dr's know LOL. i was going to come back with you either have aids or cancer..
  12. Registered User
    SufferingEd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    359
    Answers
    0


    Thanks for the info. I nver heard that but I actually do take glutamine, cycling 5 days on two off so I dont' get acclimated to it. Also do veggie juicers, and try to stay away from processed foods and foods containing preservatives. Though, hey, I'm only human I still enjoy my fast food every now and then.
  13. Registered User
    southpaw41's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    71
    Answers
    0


    I got some info on blood work done last saturday for mono and the epstein bar virus (EBV). I no longer have mono (thank god) but one of the 2 ebv tests were out of range (cant post the labs dont have them yet my mom called in for them). I believe back in august I had EBV first which turned to mono. EBV stays dormant in the system for life which sucks.

    Im taking vitamin d, dhea cream, p5p, and zinc supplements everyday. Was taking a multivitamin but ran out and didnt re-order any. Been taking all of this for a while now.

    I have appts with a hemotoligist and endo coming to discuss thess issues and also hypothyroidism.

    I just really hope I can continue lifting. It's really my only outlet for all this **** i've been going through for a while now. If that gets takn away idk what I'm gonna do..
  14. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Answers
    0


    I work as a biochemist in a hospital medical laboratory - just because youre outside the reference range doesnt always mean theres an issue. Were human, we dont always fit the mold. In your case the ALT seems normal for a man who is in constant physical activity and I imagine you have a diet that correlates which would insinuate that naturally you have higher liver enzymes to support your metabolism. In addition, fighting the infection would cause an increase as a response trying to fight it. BUT that AST=162 raises an eyebrow. Are you taking any medications? When I see a liver panel thats relatively normal with the exception of AST thats my first instinct.
  15. Registered User
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    I work as a biochemist in a hospital medical laboratory - just because youre outside the reference range doesnt always mean theres an issue. Were human, we dont always fit the mold. In your case the ALT seems normal for a man who is in constant physical activity and I imagine you have a diet that correlates which would insinuate that naturally you have higher liver enzymes to support your metabolism. In addition, fighting the infection would cause an increase as a response trying to fight it. BUT that AST=162 raises an eyebrow. Are you taking any medications? When I see a liver panel thats relatively normal with the exception of AST thats my first instinct.
    90% of Americans test poSitive for Epstein bar so that is not a biggie
    elevated enzyme I be checking with a liver specialist. If you walked into my offfice with those results and Ultrasound would be the next step now since your mono is gone recheck adrenals as they may have been low but where juSt testing normal because the infection was masking it. If that is true then adrenAl support would be needed. If you have good insurance then nutra eval is also in check. I would also seen high liver enzyme i'm bacterial infections of the gi tract. Again further evaluation is needed. I do not think and Endo or other specialist would even know where to begin, but I have a suspectiom what it may be because your symptoms and patterns match another patients that I have been dealing for 2 years and we finally hit gold last week to put a lid on his case
  16. Registered User
    southpaw41's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    71
    Answers
    0


    OrganicShadow: I'm only taking what i stated above (vitamin d, dhea cream, p5p, and zinc supplements)

    Matrix: Yea my primary said the hemotologist he is referring me to will most likely want to get an untrasound of the liver and additional blood work. I am going to see my endo for thyroid and prolactin issues primarily but I will touch on this
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
  2. Liver Question: Mono & Lifting
    By southpaw41 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
  3. Liver panels before and after epistane??
    By clint3612 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in