OVer training enough to lower t levels?

jrvswim

Awards
I have a lower than normal testosterone level, and I have been alot about how over training can lower your testosterone.

I am trying to figure out if I am over training, and if yes, if it is enough to lower my t levels.

About me
6'2''
200 pounds
Maybe 12 percent body fat
I eat well.
43 resting heart beat

I was a college swimmer and I was also swimmer in high school, so I am use to working out constantly. Basically everyday day of the week, regardless as to whether I am tired or a little bit sick. I have been lifting for several years, but for the last two years or so I have barely gained any mass or strength. Although cardiovasculary I am getting better and better. I have not missed a daily workout in atleast five months, maybe longer, sometimes I feel like I have a workout disorder.

Heres is a typical week

Monday, Weds, Fri, Sun
Run 3 miles, Swim 2 miles

Tuesday, Thurs, Sat --- the actually lifting takes about an hour
Run 3 miles
bench 3 sets at 185 205 and 225
Regular pull ups 3 sets
Military pull ups 3 sets
Dead lifts 3 sets 205 225 225
Military Press with Free weights, 45 per arm, 50, 50
Bend over rows, 60 per arm, 3 sets
Shoulder raises, 3 sets, 25, 25, 30
Star jumpers, 3 sets of 10
Dips at own body weight, 3 sets of 15
Power Cleans 3 sets at 135 135 155
Occasionally Rock climbing after workout

I know I probably do too much...but is it way too much? Are my t-levels affected?

I would like to get stronger and bigger, but honestly those aren't my biggest concern, mainly I just want my t levels to get higher so I stop having symtoms of low t.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nobody will be able to tell from reading your points alone. That being said here are some things to consider;

- Overtraining will cause catabolism through a rise in cortisol.
- Cortisol could rise through a huge number of other factors, sleep, emotions, food, alcohol, cigarettes, alarm clocks etc.
- Overtraining tends to be a function of volume, rather than intensity. Nobody overtrains from a single 1RM effort but repeat it enough times and you can overtrain.
- Overtraining could also be called under recovering. I could overtrain from your routine if my eating was poor, sleep was inadequate, my T levels are poor etc.
- If someone is overtraining, cut back on volume first.
- Aerobics are particularly stressful to the adrenal glands.
- You could do an adrenal stress index test to assess cortisol levels, they are fairly cheap.
- Has your heart rate changed recently? If measured in the morning a drop in RHR can be a sign of overtraining.

There will absolutely be no definitive answer from someone on this board based on reading your circumstances alone. Hopefully this will give you something to think about and make an educated decision.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Nobody will be able to tell from reading your points alone. That being said here are some things to consider;

- Overtraining will cause catabolism through a rise in cortisol.
- Cortisol could rise through a huge number of other factors, sleep, emotions, food, alcohol, cigarettes, alarm clocks etc.
- Overtraining tends to be a function of volume, rather than intensity. Nobody overtrains from a single 1RM effort but repeat it enough times and you can overtrain.
- Overtraining could also be called under recovering. I could overtrain from your routine if my eating was poor, sleep was inadequate, my T levels are poor etc.
- If someone is overtraining, cut back on volume first.
- Aerobics are particularly stressful to the adrenal glands.
- You could do an adrenal stress index test to assess cortisol levels, they are fairly cheap.
- Has your heart rate changed recently? If measured in the morning a drop in RHR can be a sign of overtraining.

There will absolutely be no definitive answer from someone on this board based on reading your circumstances alone. Hopefully this will give you something to think about and make an educated decision.
Yep over training can start the cortisol cascade and also weaken your immune system making you vulnerable to any infections. It happen to me and almost killed me.

If over training sleep will get affected first

jrvswim

Awards
Thanks for all the input, I can still sleep pretty well. Since it seems like there really isn't a definite answer, I am going to start having one rest day from all exercise a week. If i don't feel any better I might take two. I have read that if you lift every other day, cardio in between is fine, but does really really intense cardio have the same effect on your body as lifting weights?

jrvswim

Awards
I have really cut back, have noticed anything yet, i am not sure how long it would take to see any effect.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have really cut back, have noticed anything yet, i am not sure how long it would take to see any effect.
Several months if you do not identify imbalance and support them
properly

jrvswim

Awards
Thanks, Matrix, ill keep cutting back and plus I am getting my reoccurent varicocele emobilized on weds. morning. So alot is going on right now hopefully I see some results.

jrvswim

Awards
I don't really understand what sleep disturbance is? Is it just taking a while to fall asleep and waking often?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It varies from person to person. It can be mild to moderate insomnia to frequent waking or interruptions.

A disruption in your normal sleep pattern would be considered a sleep disturbance.

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good to know I am not over training Dunn!
My sleep has been really good.. The little sleep I get at least.