CLONIDINE & REBOUND HYPERTENSION

mcs5309

Awards
I've been Rx'd up to .5mg clonidine to help bring down an elevated sympathetic nervous system/norepinephrine since I tend to spike at night before bed. It is also purported to stimulate GH and is a hypotensive.

Sounded good to me up until I read about one major side: rebound hypertension since I'm already hypertensive. I've read that you must taper down slowly when coming off, but also heard it can be tricky and doesn't work all the time.

Anyone with knowledge and/or experience, please advise.

RPHMark

Awards
Is it to be used routinely or just when you have a spike? Clonidine can allow rebound, but it is often used for BP spikes and generally works well. It is not used routinely very often anymore, with the rebound potential being one of the reasons among others.

mcs5309

Awards
Is it to be used routinely or just when you have a spike? Clonidine can allow rebound, but it is often used for BP spikes and generally works well. It is not used routinely very often anymore, with the rebound potential being one of the reasons among others.
It is being used routinely to bring down norepi. This rebound effect is not something the doc brought up perhaps because the dosage is low, but I'm still concerned.