Basic Thyroid Question

longrob

Awards
If TSH is good at 1.6, is there any need to measure T3 and T4?

My wife's doc says since her TSH is good, she does not measure T3 and T4. She was put on Synthroid, but is still gaining weight. Would knowing T3 and T4 help gain a clearer picture?
She is 47 and peri-menopausal, so we realize lots of expected hormonal changes are occuring.
-Rob

weierstrass

Awards

My wife's doc says since her TSH is good, she does not measure T3 and T4. She was put on Synthroid, but is still gaining weight. Would knowing T3 and T4 help gain a clearer picture?
She is 47 and peri-menopausal, so we realize lots of expected hormonal changes are occuring.
-Rob
TSH alone is not good enough. Type "TSH may not be a good marker for adequate thyroid hormone replacement therapy." in pubmed and print the abstract. Show it to her doctor. If the doctor ignores your concerns, find your wife a better doctor.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

-Rob
Yes when under stress the body responds inappropiate to TSH.
I had client tsh 1.2 had low totals and free t3 and t4 out of the ranges..
And was a fitness competitor to and had classic symptoms of hyopthyroid neurologically

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
privatemdlabs.com get a thyroid panel, its pretty cheap, if its low bring it to your doctor. quick results.

longrob

Awards
Would her oral temperature be an indication of thyroid probelms even though TSH is ideal?

[please pardon the question as I do understand this is the "Male" Anti-Aging forum]

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Would her oral temperature be an indication of thyroid probelms even though TSH is ideal?

[please pardon the question as I do understand this is the "Male" Anti-Aging forum]
Women levels can be affected by progesterone/e2 imbalance which affect thyroid response at the tissue levels. Also if adrenals are low then thyroid will not bind to thyroid receptors properly. Also check her ferritin levels must be >60 for thyroid to be optimal. Also check vitamin d 25 oh which in all patients are low drastically. Fixing this level can repair thyroid in many people when reaching optimal levels. If you need help pm me. Women hormones are alot more involved then males are ..