Basic Thyroid Question

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.14%

Basic Thyroid Question

If TSH is good at 1.6, is there any need to measure T3 and T4?

My wife's doc says since her TSH is good, she does not measure T3 and T4. She was put on Synthroid, but is still gaining weight. Would knowing T3 and T4 help gain a clearer picture?
    She is 47 and peri-menopausal, so we realize lots of expected hormonal changes are occuring.
    -Rob

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.32%

Quote Originally Posted by longrob View Post

My wife's doc says since her TSH is good, she does not measure T3 and T4. She was put on Synthroid, but is still gaining weight. Would knowing T3 and T4 help gain a clearer picture?
    She is 47 and peri-menopausal, so we realize lots of expected hormonal changes are occuring.
    -Rob
    TSH alone is not good enough. Type "TSH may not be a good marker for adequate thyroid hormone replacement therapy." in pubmed and print the abstract. Show it to her doctor. If the doctor ignores your concerns, find your wife a better doctor.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

-Rob
    Yes when under stress the body responds inappropiate to TSH.
    I had client tsh 1.2 had low totals and free t3 and t4 out of the ranges..
    And was a fitness competitor to and had classic symptoms of hyopthyroid neurologically
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.14%

Thanks for the help, guys
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

privatemdlabs.com get a thyroid panel, its pretty cheap, if its low bring it to your doctor. quick results.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.14%

Would her oral temperature be an indication of thyroid probelms even though TSH is ideal?

[please pardon the question as I do understand this is the "Male" Anti-Aging forum]
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Would her oral temperature be an indication of thyroid probelms even though TSH is ideal?

[please pardon the question as I do understand this is the "Male" Anti-Aging forum]
    Women levels can be affected by progesterone/e2 imbalance which affect thyroid response at the tissue levels. Also if adrenals are low then thyroid will not bind to thyroid receptors properly. Also check her ferritin levels must be >60 for thyroid to be optimal. Also check vitamin d 25 oh which in all patients are low drastically. Fixing this level can repair thyroid in many people when reaching optimal levels. If you need help pm me. Women hormones are alot more involved then males are ..
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

Similar Forum Threads

1. basic question
    By jcam222 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
  2. Basic question
    By jcaddict in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 12:11 AM
  3. Basic but serious question (cycles)
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7