Updated labs - low testosterone, high estradiol, low Vit D, and other fun stuff...

J

jambi227

Awards
Some interesting results back from the lab today! Turns out I've got high estradiol, Vitamin D deficiency, as well as Adrenal Fatigue with corresponding low cortisol levels. Here's my 2 sets of lab tests to date:

1st round of tests, 4/15/2010, 9 AM:
Testosterone, total - 253 ng/dL - (250 - 1100)
Testosterone, free - 46.7 pg/mL - (46 - 224)
Testosterone, bioavailable - 108.3 - (110 - 575)
SHBG - 18 nmol/L - (7 - 49)
Albumin, serum - 5.1 g/dL - (3.6 - 5.1)
LH - 5.6 mIU/mL - (1.5 - 9.3)
FSH - 5.3 mIU/mL - (1.6 - 8.0)
TSH - 3.38 uIU/mL - (0.4 - 4.50)
T-4 (thyroxine), free - 1.1 ng/dL - (0.8 - 1.8)

At this point, I was put on Androderm 5 mg and found myself a new doctor. The new doctor ran the following tests, performed just 2 days after starting Androderm (so it shouldn't have had much, if any, effect)

New tests, 4/30/2010, 10 AM:
Vitamin D 19 ng/mL (20-100)
DHEA 152 mcg/dL (110-510)
Estradiol 64 pg/mL (0-54)
Prolactin 3.6 ng/mL (2.1-17.7)
Free T3 364 pg/dL (230-420)
Cortisol, A.M. 4.8 mcg/dL (4.0-22.4)
PSA, Total 0.30 ng/mL (0.00-4.00)

I was referred to an endocrinologist to further evaluate my hormones, and was told he is experienced in male hypogonadism. I was told to stay on my Androderm 5mg until then (now on day 9 of treatment). I should be able to see this endocrinologist within 2 weeks

I am now beginning to take Vitamin D 5,000 IU every night, Synthroid 25 mcg daily, and Adren-All daily.

Since my estradiol is so high, is my current Androderm simply going to fuel my aromatase even more, ramping up my estrogen even higher? Would stopping the Androderm be a good idea, or just wait to speak to the endocrinologist?

The adrenal fatigue surprised me... however, I have been taking Adderall 10 mg 3-5 times a week for the past ~3 years during school for ADD. I know almost nothing about cortisol and what my low levels indicate or mean exactly.

Anything else that you guys see interesting going on here? Other supplements I may consider, or comments I should make with the endocrinologist when the time comes?

S

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I dont have a good answer other than to say you can not trust endocrinologists, ever. Spend the next 2 weeks looking for a good hrt dr in your area. Where do you live?

You could also consider a phone consult with a real dr, like dr John. Taking a minimal amount of test will probably end up lowering your test as your body will stop producing it.

R

RLDriver

Awards
Experience: 23 years as an MD. Experience: I've never seen adding Androgel lower anyone's testosterone level ever.
And, a heart doctor would laugh and ask you to go find a family doctor or internist and not come back until they find an issue. Heart doctors want you to have heart problems, not a little lab issue.
Just my 2c.