Low Testosterone in 27 Year old Male

sp00ked

Awards
Hi,
I have been experiencing symptoms of low testosterone for years, low sex drive, problems maintaining an erection, lack of interest, memory problems.
I finally got my levels checked by an endocrinologist and these are my test results.

Test Result Flag Normal Range

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 333 ng/dL (250-1100 ng/dL )
TESTOSTERONE, FREE 69.9 pg/mL (46.0-224.0 pg/mL)
TESTOSTERONE,BIOAVAILABLE 152.9 ng/dL (110.0-575.0 ng/dL )
SHBG 16 nmol/L (7-49 nmol/L)
ALBUMIN,SERUM 4.8 g/dL (3.6-5.1 g/dL)

CORTISOL, TOTAL 20.7 mcg/dL mcg/dL
Reference Range: For 8 a.m.(7-9 a.m.) Specimen: 4.0-22.0
Reference Range: For 4 p.m.(3-5 p.m.) Specimen: 3.0-17.0

FSH 2.8 mIU/mL (1.6-8.0 mIU/mL)
LH 3.0 mIU/mL (1.5-9.3 mIU/mL)

To my dismay, since my results were marginally within the reference range, my doctor said that he didn't think starting any treatment would be necessary. I wouldn't mind so much if I felt fine, but my symptoms fit and it would be a shame if there was a solution within reach but denied based on the result being within the reference range.

I would appreciate any advice on what additional tests I should do and what treatment options I can consider. I'm a 27 year old male with otherwise perfect health.
Thanks!

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
go to a different doctor and express your concerns. I would not down right ask them for juice. But explain what your symptoms are and ask to explore treatment options with him/her because you last doctor was not very helpful.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would simply advise you to seek out an anti-aging physician in your area and show them your test results.

sp00ked

Awards
Thanks!
I asked the endo about HCG while I was there and he had no idea what it was. His only treatment option was TRT, which I would rather not do since it would damage my natural production.

Should I try talking to the endo and checking if he's willing to put on on testosterone gel for a few months to see if that helps with the symptoms or just find an anti-aging doctor who is willing to do the entire HCG thing?

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
that's where you have to ask the doc. I can't comment on which medical treatment would be best for your situation. My suggestion, talk to both. Get 2 opinions... 3 opinions... whatever it takes to make you feel like you've come to the right conclusion.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!
I asked the endo about HCG while I was there and he had no idea what it was. His only treatment option was TRT, which I would rather not do since it would damage my natural production.

Should I try talking to the endo and checking if he's willing to put on on testosterone gel for a few months to see if that helps with the symptoms or just find an anti-aging doctor who is willing to do the entire HCG thing?
Do not talk to the endo, have him arrested and charged with impersonating a Dr, and a human being. Endos only treat diabetes and have never helped anyone. This stuff can be tricky and if you dont get it right you will regret it, Call a compounding pharmacy near you and ask. Where do you live?

sp00ked

Awards
Before going to the endo, I saw an anti-aging doctor who knew about HCG but was reluctant to treat me before getting my thyroid function checked out by a endo. I'm just slightly reluctant to go back to the anti-aging doctor since endocronologists are supposed to be experts and I don't want to screw up my testes with uninformed treatment. But I'm sure the advice I get here will help greatly.

I'm leaning towards a trial period of a few months on TRT gel, and if that raises my testosterone levels and eases my symptoms, then I'll try to find a doctor who will be able to get me on HCG and a more long-term solution. Would that be a good idea?

I'm in Minneapolis btq

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my observations if you desire to not receive TRT than I would go the route of pursuing a more progressive endocrinologist. JMO.

MrRobRage

Awards
if your production is already damaged... than TRT is the better choice.

I'm 28 and have been suffering from the symptoms of low T for a long time... got my levels checked and sure enough... 224 total.

now im being treated and i am very happy for it.

sp00ked

Awards
if your production is already damaged... than TRT is the better choice.

I'm 28 and have been suffering from the symptoms of low T for a long time... got my levels checked and sure enough... 224 total.

now im being treated and i am very happy for it.
What kind of treatment are you on?
How did you know your production was damaged? My FSH and LH levels are within the reference range, albeit in the lower range.

MrRobRage

Awards
my FSH and LH were low normal, and my Test had been down for a bit, looked over a couple tests.... AI's would drop my estrogen, but not raise my test. So, now im on test cyp... so far, so good.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
BEFORE going on TRT, rule out nutritional, thyroid, and adrenal issues first. Unless you just want to shut down your natural production and rely on needles.

Nutritional: At a minimum get your 25-hydroxy (Vitamin D), zinc, ferritin, and B12 tested.

Adrenal: 4x saliva cortisol

Thyroid: Total and Free T3 and T4, RT3, TgAb, TPO, and TSH

Sleep apnea can also lower testosterone levels.

Don't forget to get your E2 (estradiol) tested. If elevated, it could suppress LH and testosterone production. Won't hurt to get prolactin tested. If that's high, it could indicate a pituitary tumor.

If you do start TRT, get a PSA test first.

sp00ked

Awards
Thanks for the comprehensive list of things to test. Assuming the endo isn't willing to do the test, is there any way to get it done on my own?

sp00ked

Awards
I talked to the endo and he agreed to do a 2.5g gel for a 3 month trial. Seems like a low dose to me, will it make any difference at such a small dosage?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I talked to the endo and he agreed to do a 2.5g gel for a 3 month trial. Seems like a low dose to me, will it make any difference at such a small dosage?
I would be very careful. That will probably end up lowering your testosterone level. When you take test, your body senses it has enough and stops producing its own. Then your levels go down, that is very common. Your doctor has not tested your psas either. Probably, the best route for you is hcg only. Your levels are low but I have seen lower. Your body is probably capable of doing quite well on hcg.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Spinn is correct. 2.5 Androgel will probably shut down your hpta and not make up enough for it to raise your levels. They will probably drop.

Don't do the A-gel until your issues above are resolved. If you're lucky you may not have to go on TRT after all.