My Test Results - What is "Normal" for Me?

Bob34

Awards
I'm 41, have worked out for 20+ years, eat a pretty good diet, and not over weight. Over the last year or so I have really noticed some changes/Symptoms in the way I feel physically and emotionally. Reduced energy, difficulty focusing, libido loss, grumpy, irritable, and working out has become a real struggle. As a result I did some research and looked into the possibility of my test levels being the cause. My Dr, who is an internist, states they are normal. My question is, test ranges seem pretty broad for "Normal", so am I within norms for my age? Or am I normal for a 75 year old? Is there any reliable info out there about where test values should be by age? Here are my numbers: I should also mention I'm Type 1 Diabetic for 30 years under good control. These were taken fasting at 9AM by Quest. Thanks for any advise.

Dihydrotestosterone 45 ng/dl (25-75 ng/dl)
Testosterone, Total 340 (250-1100 ng/dl)
Test, Free 61.3 (46.0-224 pg/mL)
Test, Bioavailable 126.1 (110-575 ng/dl)
SHBG 26 (9-45 nmol/L)
Albumin, Serum 4.5 (3.6-5.1 g/dL)
T4, Free 1.1 (.8-1.8 ng/dl)
TSH, 3rd Generation 2.16 mIU/L (.40-4.5 mIU/L)
PSA, Total .8 (< or = 4.0)
T3, Free 285 (230-420 pg/DL)
Hemoglobin A1c 6.2

Cortisol - Morning 4.7
Cortisol - Noon 1.4
Cortisol - Evening .3 (Low)
Cortisol - Night .3 (Low

Estradiol, ultrasensitive <2 pg/ml (< or = 29)
DHEA Sulfate 201 (45-345 mcg/dl)
Insulin 3 (<17 uIU/ml)
LH 4.0 (1.5-9.3 mIU/ml)
Prolactin 5.3 (2.0-18.0)

Total Cholesterol 175
HDL 39 (A bit Low)
Triglycerides 98
LDL 116
Chol/HDLC Ratio 4.5

Zinc 67 (60-130)
Creatinine 1.07 (.78-1.34)
Sodium 139
Potassium 4.5
Calcium 9.3
Protein, Total 7.0
Albumin 4.5 (3.6-5.1)
Globulin 2.5 (2.1-3.7)
Bilirubin, Total .4
Alkaline Phosphatase 52
AST 18
ALT 16
Chloride 103
Carbon Dioxide 24

There are more results from the CBC, but they were all well within the normal ranges and the list is too long to post.

Thanks Again

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
At first glance... T is definitely sub-optimal... adrenals too. But you should really include the ranges. E2 test is likely invalid... you could have high E2 and not know it, which in turn reduces T. LabCorp Sensitive E2 is better than Quest.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pretty low total test levels.. Your about on par as an 85 year old... I would get on TRT/HRT..

Bob34

Awards
Pretty low total test levels.. Your about on par as an 85 year old... I would get on TRT/HRT..
That's what I feel like a lot of times as well. Do you have any links that show test ranges based on age?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
From one diabetic to another, are you working out hard most every day in an effort to manage your health? Do you also find it difficult to get a restful night's sleep?

Could be as simple as training too hard for too long...

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
My levels were that low. I felt the same symptoms. Sadly all the idiot doctors said it was normal. I'm only 21.

I finally realized its not anywhere near "optimal" to be that low.

Now i'm on TRT and its HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.

Bob34

Awards
No, the days of hitting it hard are long gone. My routine has changed to more toning and cardio 3-4x a week. Sleeping is one thing I keep getting better at with age : ) One thing I do notice is my blood sugar is getting harder and harder to manage. Part of me wonders how/if low T can affect this and if I might see improvement in that area if I were on TRT.

Bob34

Awards
[quote=gamer2be08;2393794
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm right on par with my great grandpa. Thank god that's normal for a 41 yr old.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
again, don't embark on TRT without knowing your true E2 level

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Your zinc is low. Gonads need that stuff to function properly. I would wager your vitamin D3 is also low. Ditto on the functioning part.

Get those fixed, and also deal with your A1C (6.2) - it looks pre-diabetic. I have type II diabetes, and without meds (just diet and exercise) my A1C's have run between 5.5 and 6.0.

Bob34

Awards
Your zinc is low. Gonads need that stuff to function properly. I would wager your vitamin D3 is also low. Ditto on the functioning part.

Get those fixed, and also deal with your A1C (6.2) - it looks pre-diabetic. I have type II diabetes, and without meds (just diet and exercise) my A1C's have run between 5.5 and 6.0.
Thanks for the input. I've slacked on the vitamins and should probably get back on them. Will a regular Calcium/Vit D supplement help for the D3 levels? I am a type 1 Diabetic, so the 6.2 A1C is well within norms. They like to keep you under 7.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. I've slacked on the vitamins and should probably get back on them. Will a regular Calcium/Vit D supplement help for the D3 levels? I am a type 1 Diabetic, so the 6.2 A1C is well within norms. They like to keep you under 7.
These things will help your body overall a tiny bit, but dont expect adding zinc and vitamin d to triple your testosterone.

You really should strongly consider testosterone replacement with those levels. I promise you, you'll have so much more pep in you step.

It can be as simple as applying a gel once per day, and taking a tiny HCG shot EOD (insulin pin). The HRT will incease your insulin sensativity so you won't need as much and rev up your metabolism, sleep, sex drive, energy, well being, and muscle mass.

One thing I do not see on the test is estrogen...high E2 can cause insulin insensativity as well. Lowering you E and increasing your T will dramatically increase your sensativity. Loosing bodyfat will also exponentially increase your insulin sensativity if you are over 20% BF.

southpaw41

southpaw41

Awards
Is there a "trt for idiots" guide on this website (or anywhere online)? I dont know much about this subject. I'm 22 and just got over recovery from a grade 2 varicocele and think my natural t levels are f'd so I'm considering it.

Gonna get my blood tests done in the next few weeks. I wanna know the risks associated with long term trt use are (androgel, shots, etc). I dont wanna end up bald, full of acne, and have cancer when I'm 30.. Also I would like to know how trt will affect my fertility.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
Is there a "trt for idiots" guide on this website (or anywhere online)? I dont know much about this subject. I'm 22 and just got over recovery from a grade 2 varicocele and think my natural t levels are f'd so I'm considering it.

Gonna get my blood tests done in the next few weeks. I wanna know the risks associated with long term trt use are (androgel, shots, etc). I dont wanna end up bald, full of acne, and have cancer when I'm 30.. Also I would like to know how trt will affect my fertility.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Won't make you anymore bald then you would already go if you had normal T levels. Wont cause cancer...all that crap is B.S. Maybe if you ran extreme doses which yielded insanely high DHT then MAYBE you would develop these issues.

Fertility is a big factor. You will become infertile while on testosterone. HCG will keep your balls alive and functioning, but sperm count should reduce over time. However, If you remain on HCG, you should easily be able to throw in HMG (synthetic FSH) to produce sperm again when you are ready.

Go to allthingsmale.com and read the write up.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Try to keep your A1C below 6. Below 7 is too loose of a standard.

Get a good soft-gel type D3 (cholecalciferol) supplement, and try 8000-12000iu per day for a month and retest.

Monsterbox is correct, resolving nutritional issues could never triple your testosterone levels. Whoever made that assertion is nuts.

However, resolving these issues will at least show you what your own body can naturally produce. And if it goes up enough to make you feel better, you might be happier with those levels instead of going on lifelong TRT.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Your test levels are right on par with mine. My doctor says that this is good but I disagree. I take test boosters on a regular basis. I also take DHEA daily. DHEA is the one supp that I can actually feel working. It increases my energy levels, improves my attitude and gives me that "alpha-male" feeling. I love the stuff. My personal recommendation is DTP. This supp has a host of goodies as well as DHEA and pregnenalone. I take one tab daily along with some other test booster. I keep several test boosters on hand at all times and rotate them so my body doesn't adjust to any one product. For instance, I usually have Testopro, Primal Male and Activate or Formadrol on hand at all times. Each have either I3C or DIM as a form of natural estrogen control and each work on a different axis so I can rotate them regularly without attenuation. I’m 60 years old but I feel like I’m 30 and still do all the same things I did at 30, some even better because my strength is better. I didn’t start working out until I was around 40..

southpaw41

southpaw41

Awards
Won't make you anymore bald then you would already go if you had normal T levels. Wont cause cancer...all that crap is B.S. Maybe if you ran extreme doses which yielded insanely high DHT then MAYBE you would develop these issues.

Fertility is a big factor. You will become infertile while on testosterone. HCG will keep your balls alive and functioning, but sperm count should reduce over time. However, If you remain on HCG, you should easily be able to throw in HMG (synthetic FSH) to produce sperm again when you are ready.

Go to allthingsmale.com and read the write up.
Thanks for the response Monsterbox I appreciate it. This will probably be the biggest decision of my life so far and have so many questions about trt. I guess first off what are the absolute necessary tests I need done before making the trt decision?

Is a testosterone blood serum test enough? What’s E2 and how do I get that measured? What about measuring estrogen levels? Thyroid testing? Basically what figures do I need to make a good decision to go on trt or not? Going to call my Doc on Monday and need to know what tests I should request.

Will I have a problem having my doctor write a script to get these tests done or are they all pretty basic tests? Should I contact my general doctor or the urologist who just did my varicocele surgery in February?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Bob34 sorry I don’t mean to bombard your thread if you want me out I’ll make a new topic but I feel I can relate to the symptoms you are having from low t.

Thanks

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the response Monsterbox I appreciate it. This will probably be the biggest decision of my life so far and have so many questions about trt. I guess first off what are the absolute necessary tests I need done before making the trt decision?

Is a testosterone blood serum test enough? What’s E2 and how do I get that measured? What about measuring estrogen levels? Thyroid testing? Basically what figures do I need to make a good decision to go on trt or not? Going to call my Doc on Monday and need to know what tests I should request.

Will I have a problem having my doctor write a script to get these tests done or are they all pretty basic tests? Should I contact my general doctor or the urologist who just did my varicocele surgery in February?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Bob34 sorry I don’t mean to bombard your thread if you want me out I’ll make a new topic but I feel I can relate to the symptoms you are having from low t.

Thanks
Its all about finding the doctor that specializes in HRT for men. If you go to generic endo's or urologists, they have no idea how/what to do with low-T.

My doctors ran 1 blood test with the same tests the guy has above along with E2 which is the primary estrogen.

Then they will prescribe you enough testosterone to get up to around 700-900ng/dl. They will work to get you Free-T up to the top of the range and your E2 down to a reasonable level. It may take 1-2 more blood tests to find your optimal dosage of Testosterone and estrogen inhibitors (if needed). If you wish, you can also use HCG to keep your testicles functioning.

Bob34

Awards
Its all about finding the doctor that specializes in HRT for men. If you go to generic endo's or urologists, they have no idea how/what to do with low-T.

My doctors ran 1 blood test with the same tests the guy has above along with E2 which is the primary estrogen.

Then they will prescribe you enough testosterone to get up to around 700-900ng/dl. They will work to get you Free-T up to the top of the range and your E2 down to a reasonable level. It may take 1-2 more blood tests to find your optimal dosage of Testosterone and estrogen inhibitors (if needed). If you wish, you can also use HCG to keep your testicles functioning.
I thought this result was for the Estrogen? What is this telling me?
**Estradiol, ultrasensitive <2 pg/ml (< or = 29)

Bob34

Awards
I thought this result was for the Estrogen? What is this telling me?
**Estradiol, ultrasensitive <2 pg/ml (< or = 29)
Can anyone give me some thoughts on this? I want to understand the difference between this result and the E2 levels that seem so important.

Thanks!