Testosterone and Thyroid issues in 19 year old male(please help)

nick1990

Awards
After some blood work showing my total test levels to be 173 D:, but i got another two labs taken and the average of the two was around 425 and free was 91f.
Not sure why there was such a huge jump, but i guess that doesnt matter now.
It is still low, but at least it is not about to die test levels lol
(not entirely sure what 19 year old levels should be btw)

But my doc also noticed my thyroid is showing hypo-active tendencies.
T3 uptake ratio is 1.25H
T3 free is 2.2L
T4 is .8L
TSH is 2.26
DHEA 381.9
IGF-1 281
SHGB 27
Thyroglob Ab 2.2f

I also have high cholesterol
Not really sure if i need anything else, but from those numbers, my doc came to the above conclusion of hypo-activity

I was more concerned with the test levels, but my doc is saying we should take care of the thyroid first (says thyroid, testes and adrenal glands are all connected with thyroid being tops)
So, he wants to fix one at a time to see if the others pick up as a result
He actually has me trying to fix my thyroid naturally first (holistic MD), by taking iodine, selenium, tyrosine, zinc and vitamin d
if that doesnt raise my t3 or t4 levels, he is going to put me on desiccated thyroid meds (naturethroid)

I guess my question is, am i going about the situation in the best way?
Will my test levels ever get much higher without TRT?
Should i consider test boosters?
How long should i wait to see if the natural remedies work?
How can i tell if the pituitary glands are the cause?

Any other suggestions as to what i should do, or just any advice in general?

thanks guys

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you on any other medications? Good idea to start with thyroid, adrenals also. How is your diet, stress level? Do you drink a lot or drugs? Vitamin D also needs to be checked. Their are a lot of knowlegable people on this board and tons of info. Do some research and keep asking questions.

Taxi Driver

Awards
You don't mention your symptoms.

Will my test levels ever get much better without TRT?

If you find the cause and address it, yes.

Should I consider test boosters?

If you identify the problem and they address it, then yes.

How long should I wait to see if the natural remedies work?

Not sure. If you are seeing a knowledgeable doctor give it time you are young. I'd say if there is no improvement in a month to a few months you will need to take a different road.

How can I tell if the pituitary is the cause?

If you mean your low test you should test at least lh, fsh, and prolactin.

The fact that your doctor wants to treat thyroid and adrenals first is a good thing. Given your age there is no need to rush into TRT. If there is a need for you to take TRT for some reason there is no guarantee that your doctor is the best, but if YOU ARE COMFORTABLE, SEEING RESULTS and ARE ABLE TO DISCUSS AND BE INVOLVED IN YOUR TREATMENT you should be okay.

nick1990

Awards
Are you on any other medications? Good idea to start with thyroid, adrenals also. How is your diet, stress level? Do you drink a lot or drugs? Vitamin D also needs to be checked. Their are a lot of knowlegable people on this board and tons of info. Do some research and keep asking questions.
only other med i am on is accutane
My doc reassured me that this had nothing to do with my problems, and after my own research i came to the same conclusion
I NEVER drink nor do drugs

vitamin D 25-hydroxy 94
vitamin d-2 3.0
vitamin d-3 91
vitamin b-12 1266 (i take a b-100 complex daily)

You don't mention your symptoms.

Will my test levels ever get much better without TRT?

If you find the cause and address it, yes.

Should I consider test boosters?

If you identify the problem and they address it, then yes.

How long should I wait to see if the natural remedies work?

Not sure. If you are seeing a knowledgeable doctor give it time you are young. I'd say if there is no improvement in a month to a few months you will need to take a different road.

How can I tell if the pituitary is the cause?

If you mean your low test you should test at least lh, fsh, and prolactin.

The fact that your doctor wants to treat thyroid and adrenals first is a good thing. Given your age there is no need to rush into TRT. If there is a need for you to take TRT for some reason there is no guarantee that your doctor is the best, but if YOU ARE COMFORTABLE, SEEING RESULTS and ARE ABLE TO DISCUSS AND BE INVOLVED IN YOUR TREATMENT you should be okay.
okay thanks for the advice

If i find the cause for the low test, will my test levels ever get to 800+?
Will they only get this high when i address the prob and THEN do test boosters?
Or can it come naturally?

as far as the pituitary goes:

LH 3.5
Fsh 1.3
prolactin 3.7

my doc is actually giving me the choice on what i should do

He told me what he thinks is best, which is what i mentioned in the first post, but that if i wanted TRT, he would guide me through
Also if i wanted the desiccated thyroid, he would also help me with that

I decided that we should try the natural alternatives first

thanks for the replies guys

I have a bunch of lab results here, but not sure what i should post or not

vorsini

Awards
Thyroid and testosterone

When I was 8 months old doctors radiated thymus to save my live but thyroid and para thyroid were also radiated.
When I was 8 years old they have to give me "gonadotropine", and when I was 16 they started thyroid supplementation for two years.
Every thing was alright until I went to Moscow to study at 21. The lack of iodine (I am from the Caribbean) in continental lands dropped my thyroid levels and with it, also testosterone levels.

The Russian treatment was to give me doses 1, 2, 3, 0 tablets of thyroid and iodine a day. After a few weeks cycle my thyroid went up to high and they stopped the treatment. I had to keep on taking iodine while in Russia. If you take thyroid without iodine the TSH level will go very low and the treatment won't work.

At about 60 years old I had the thyroid problem again. Analysis were within the limits but I was too sleepy to have a normal live. I started to treat myself with thyroid and iodine. At 73, I had a prostate surgery and had to drink "finasteride". Testosterone levels dropped. Now I have started the 1, 2, 3, 0 treatment before I go to the doctor to ask for testosterone supplementation. At the end of the first cycle I was dreaming of sexual relations. I will keep my cycles and repeat the testosterone test. I will let you know the results.

Ad Fortitudo

Ad Fortitudo

Awards
EDIT: Somehow I missed that this was over 2 years old. My comments removed...