Stress dosing HC

punxweb

Awards
I am on 25 mg of HC a day for adrenal fatigue. I have reduced my stressors a lot and really have no outside induced stress. The question I have is should I up my dose of HC when doing highly aerobic exercise, as in like racquetball? I played last night for the first time in a while, and I was completely exhausted when I finished. Would this help with the exhaustion?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
IMO..not really. I thought about this as well and tried a few different things.

Stress dosing didn't help me much with the same thing. Monitoring blood pressure and also increasing cardio helped me a lot. It's actually gotten better for me while I've reduced the amount of HC I've been using. Right now I am just taking Isocort and not stress dosing at all, and things are GREAT in the gym, but only because I've recently started doing things to help blood pressure and endurance. There are some good endurance supps out there that help (beta-alanine, citruline malate, creatine, bcaa's, luceine, these are all staples for me)

Just try to take one of your daily doses before the gym / heavy activity, but I don't think stress dosing is needed unless you've been really inactive and then decide to do something heavy.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
The way I look at this problem.

There is two limitations that we should abide by.

real time cortisol levels
and
24hr average cortisol levels

If you were able to do frequent saliva testing
keep your daily HC dose 40mg/day
and
divide it into 4 portions proportionally to your saliva cortisol level with out HC

40mg dose is a dose that can be taken continously (by men)
on top of this 40mg you can have occasional stress dose.

The 40 mg is acceptable as average without testing.

It is good idea to get 24hr urine test to evaluate your own average cortisol situation.

-----------

Since you are on 25mg/day HC you are in good shape.
When taking occasional additional dose HC it is best to observe how it affects you (rather than attempting tests).

/

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I don't feel we should do 40 mgs a day of HC unless it is getting killed in your stomach. To have to stress dose for Exercise means your over doing it and stressing your Adrenals even more. One needs to read up on this so you don't end up with Cushings.
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/faq/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/how-to-treat/

In the following link it's some of the best parts from Dr. William McK. Jeffries book Safe Uses of Cortisol. He is the man that started all of this using HC. He even tells you how to stress dose to stop the flu.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/safe-uses/

punxweb

Awards
I have the script for my 24 hour urine cortisol test. I guess I can judge my dosing by that.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I don't like going by 24 urine lags my BCBS will not even pay for it. I think your Cortisol levels on a 24 urine test only shows what your body did not use. I take my morning dose of 10 mgs cortef then go in at 8am and do my labs fasting my Cortisol levels are between 9 to 16 doing this and it tells my Dr. my Adrenals are not shut down and I am not on to much Cortef or getting Cushings.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like going by 24 urine lags my BCBS will not even pay for it. I think your Cortisol levels on a 24 urine test only shows what your body did not use. I take my morning dose of 10 mgs cortef then go in at 8am and do my labs fasting my Cortisol levels are between 9 to 16 doing this and it tells my Dr. my Adrenals are not shut down and I am not on to much Cortef or getting Cushings.

Quick question. Last time I was tested for cortisol, I had taken 10mg HC upon waking (7:30am), but then went for my bloodwork many hours later (fasted) at about 11:30am. My cortisol tested around 10.5. Does this mean my body is still making it's own cortisol?

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Yes and it means your not on to much HC or Cortef so your not going to get Cushings. Your fine.
Quick question. Last time I was tested for cortisol, I had taken 10mg HC upon waking (7:30am), but then went for my bloodwork many hours later (fasted) at about 11:30am. My cortisol tested around 10.5. Does this mean my body is still making it's own cortisol?