Reverse T3 (wilson's syndrome).... Is this a real/legit problem?

billytk03z

Awards
Is reverse T3 a real and recognized problem? I just had additional bloodwork drawn today and the doctor accepted my request/insistance on having Rt3 tested... If my rt3 comes back high, this would indeed explain why I am having the hypothyroid/adrenal fatigue symptoms that I am dealing...... keeping fingers crossed XXXXXXXXX

punxweb

Awards
Wilsons syndrome is not medically accepted as a true illness. It's symptoms are too broad to really pinpoint any really issue. High RT3 is a problem. RT3 blocks the receptor sites where T3 should be. I am dealing with high RT3 now. I have normal T3 and T4 levels but my RT3 and TSH is high.

billytk03z

Awards
Wilsons syndrome is not medically accepted as a true illness. It's symptoms are too broad to really pinpoint any really issue. High RT3 is a problem. RT3 blocks the receptor sites where T3 should be. I am dealing with high RT3 now. I have normal T3 and T4 levels but my RT3 and TSH is high.
What are you doing to combat the high rt3? are you using a T3 only protocol?

punxweb

Awards
Drop any T4 & T3 combo meds and just go on T3. I have not been able to talk my doc into upping my T3 dose high enough to do anything. I am going to increase it myself if he does not get on the ball.

billytk03z

Awards
Drop any T4 & T3 combo meds and just go on T3. I have not been able to talk my doc into upping my T3 dose high enough to do anything. I am going to increase it myself if he does not get on the ball.
10 days ago I started using HC at 20-25mg/day.... My body temperature is still between 96 to 97.5... Just today I started on T3 @ 50mcg (25mcg am/ 25mcg pm)..... so i will continue to monitor my body temps and hopefully I can get my body temps up and get rid of the fatigue, depression, hair shedding and hypoglycemia...

*** I am self dosing using meds that I have gotten from overseas pharmacies... does anyone know if Hisone (generic hydrocortisone) and Tiromel (t3) is legit? I just hope I am not using junk and wasting my time....

punxweb

Awards
So you suspect adrenal issues? Have you done a 4 part saliva cortisol test? May want to. The hisone is the real deal. I have been using that at 25 mg per day for some time now. I don't know about the Tiromel.

billytk03z

Awards
So you suspect adrenal issues? Have you done a 4 part saliva cortisol test? May want to. The hisone is the real deal. I have been using that at 25 mg per day for some time now. I don't know about the Tiromel.
I took the 4x saliva cortisol test about 3 years ago and my levels were low morning, low noon, high evening, high late evening... I have the numbers listed in my adrenal/hypo thread in this forum... About 4 months ago is when the hypoglycemia symptoms really started to hit me hard so i knew i had to take action.... with or without doctors help..

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
10 days ago I started using HC at 20-25mg/day.... My body temperature is still between 96 to 97.5... Just today I started on T3 @ 50mcg (25mcg am/ 25mcg pm)..... so i will continue to monitor my body temps and hopefully I can get my body temps up and get rid of the fatigue, depression, hair shedding and hypoglycemia...

*** I am self dosing using meds that I have gotten from overseas pharmacies... does anyone know if Hisone (generic hydrocortisone) and Tiromel (t3) is legit? I just hope I am not using junk and wasting my time....
You are fighting RT3
high levels of RT3 are made from T4 (by misguided deiodinase)
so you are trying to deplete your body of T4 because that will deplete RT3.

if you lucky, this process will deplete your RT3
and
reset your deiodinase
so latter it will produce only acceptable (low) RT3 levels

When you take 50mcg-T3/day that my already shut down TSH, TSH~0
Body will stop production of T4 when TSH~0
and
with time you will end up with low TT4 & FT4, you like that (for the time of RT3 therapy)
but
50mcg-T3/day
is not sufficient to produce good FT3 & TT3 levels
often
75mcg/day
is not sufficient
you may have to go to 100mcg-T3 or even higher

the only way to find out is by testing

but I would say that there is no need for testing until after you are on 75mcg-T3 or if you do not feel any thing unusual, 100mcg/day
------------

150mcg-T3/day is the highest known to me dose.

After certain time you will register RT3 below low range or even less.

Life on T3 only is vulnerable.
You must have assured daily supply of T3

I assume that 6-12 months period when you have RT3 level is sufficient.

Reverting from 100mcg-T3/day (or higher)
to
long term (T4 + T3)
can be started by switching to

100mcg-T4 + 50mcg-T3

you will stay 2-3 months on that level, then test and adjust accordingly.

billytk03z

Awards
I have been on 50mcg of t3 with no bad feelings or hyper symptoms for the past 2 days.... I will bump up to 75mcg starting tommorrow..... Also in the next day or so I should have my blood work back and find out exactly where Im at in regards to my Rt3 levels.

If im not mistaken from what Ive been told on this forum and from what Ive researched is that if one were to have any form of thyroid problem, Rt3 dominance would be the best to have because it is treatable and reversible.

Also, the cause of my rt3 is completely understandable/logical considering I was a hardcore dieter, gym rat (over-training), stimulant user for many years prior to my body slowly crashing to the point of where I am now....

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have been on 50mcg of t3 with no bad feelings or hyper symptoms for the past 2 days.... I will bump up to 75mcg starting tommorrow..... Also in the next day or so I should have my blood work back and find out exactly where Im at in regards to my Rt3 levels.

If im not mistaken from what Ive been told on this forum and from what Ive researched is that if one were to have any form of thyroid problem, Rt3 dominance would be the best to have because it is treatable and reversible.

Also, the cause of my rt3 is completely understandable/logical considering I was a hardcore dieter, gym rat (over-training), stimulant user for many years prior to my body slowly crashing to the point of where I am now....
You have to get on higher T3 doses slowly.

You have to wait for T4 to be depleted, it is slow process.
If you are not patient enough,
you may get hyperthyroid.

Watch pulse, bp
any night sweats

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
but
50mcg-T3/day
is not sufficient to produce good FT3 & TT3 levels
often
75mcg/day
is not sufficient
you may have to go to 100mcg-T3 or even higher
Hi Jan, I find this interesting about the amount of T3 needed.

Personally, I am taking 40-50mcg T3 per day. I take it in 10mcg doses, sublingually. My T3 is just slightly above normal range on my latest blodwoork, on this protocol. How can this be at such a low dose?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I have been on 50mcg of t3 with no bad feelings or hyper symptoms for the past 2 days.... I will bump up to 75mcg starting tommorrow.....
wow you are starting high and moving fast... most docs will tell you to change your dose after a couple weeks not a couple days... going hyper is no fun

billytk03z

Awards
ok finally got my blood work back from the doc.... I had been on 20mg cortisol per day for about a month and 50mcg t3 per day for about a week before I got my blood work drawn.... These tests are from Labcorp...

Tsh- 1.16 (Nov 09 was 2.36)

T4- 8.4 (4.5-12.0)

T3- 151 (71-180)

revT3- 281 (90-350)

PM cortisol- 8.1 (2.3-19.4)

***now keep in mind that I was using cortisol 20mg pr day for about a month and T3 @ 50mcg pr day for a week prior to/ and when getting blood drawn.... so i am sure it might of had an effect on lowering my TSH since Nov 09 blood test as well as possibly lowering my rT3 and highering my T3....

any thoughts... is my reverse T3 still high?

punxweb

Awards
Yeah, you want RT3 under 100. T4 is still high. It will take time. Dont think you can test cortisol while on HC. Not sure on that one, but have heard it before.

billytk03z

Awards
Yeah, you want RT3 under 100. T4 is still high. It will take time. Dont think you can test cortisol while on HC. Not sure on that one, but have heard it before.
What ideal ranges am I looking for in regards to T4, T3 and rT3?

punxweb

Awards
T4 at the low end or under reference range. T3 and FT3 at the upper or a little over reference range. RT3 around 100.

billytk03z

Awards
Obviously I should continue T3 therapy but should I increase from 75mcg up to 100mcg per day? Also should I continue with the the Hydrocortisone @20mg per day too?

my temps are still between 96.2-97.9....

punxweb

Awards
Changing your meds is trial and error. I have read that some people have gone up to 150mcg per day. You have to go by blood work and how you feel. I would not discontinue the HC. If and when you do, you need to do a slow, gradual taper.

billytk03z

Awards
Update on progress after 1 1/2 months on hc @ 20mg/day and 1 month of T3 (currently @ 75mcg/day)....

first amazingly, I have not gotten hypoglycemic in over a month.. I used to experience bad bouts of hypoglycemia at least once per day either before or after a meal and always immediately after I drank a cup of coffee or had anything with caffeine.. Now I when I drink a cup of coffee I dont get hypoglycemic and the energy/well being feeling I get after I drink my coffee has helped with my workouts. Also, I always used to wake up in the morning with pounding headaches and I have not had a headache in over a month. I used to get migraine headaches at least once a week for as long as i can remember and I have had only 1 migraine headache in the past 1 1/2 months.

Second, I am almost able to sleep the entire night without waking.. In the past I have not gotten a good nights sleep in I dont know how long I can remember. I used to constantly wake up at least 3 or 4 times a night in a sweat and never able to get back to sleep... this situation has not resolved but it is getting noticeably better.

Third, In the past 6 months to a year I had started to experience major hair shedding... I have no recession, no balding, and still have a full head of hair but just experiencing hair shedding as in hypothyroid sufferer pattern. As of now, the shedding is still happening but not as fast as before. I figure it will take a good 6 moths or so to see any progress or benefits.. So keeping fingers crossed..

fourth, My libido is still on the low. I am able to perform and still wake with morning wood but my desire is in the toilet. My latest blood test as of last week revealed that my Testosterone (total) is 480 (250-850)*, free test 10.8 (8.7-25) **LOW... so i suspect my sex drive is due to the low free test... E2 is 22 (0-54)

Does high rT3 affect libido and is it a possible cause of low free test...? what can I do to improve my free Test levels?

****one thing that has not improved at all is that Im always Irritable and tempermental..... I get frustrated very easily and I am short tempered (This is not me! Im not like this! I was never like this!!!) I feel so bad cuz I am very snappy and quick tongued with my wife and others.. I yell at my 3 dogs for stupid things.. I hate who i have become.... What is causing this?

rohit456

Awards
Hi JanSz,

I need you help to determine my proper course of action in my treatment. First give you some details on my symptoms/issues.
I have been suffering from Hypothyroid symptoms since 5 years . After multiple doctor changed , i finally found a doctor who tested my RT3 level, initially he first wanted t fix my B12 , Iron and Vitamin D low levels. Now that all my vitamin level are low but i still have High RT3 , my ratio of FT3/RT3 is 9.6 rather above 20. Here are my results

FT3 = 3.8
RT3 = 394
TT4 = 9.4
TSH 1.10
Ferritin = 174
Vitamin D = 55
B12 = 585

My doctor now started 15 mcg of Cytomel along with 88mcg of Levoxyl which i have been taking for last 2 years. I was reading all over the place to reduce RT3 i need to completely stop T4 , but my doctor said i have to add T3 rather stop the T4.
Please advice what would be my plan to reduce my RT3.
My symptoms are .
Brain fog
Joint and Muscles pain
Low sex drive /erection
Fatigue
low motivation.

PLease help.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Identify the source of the stress and deal with it there instead of manipulating thyroid . You will cause more issues but by doing so. Been there did it done it.

funick972

Awards
Stop looking at low or high hormones as an issue.It is not the cause but the markers of a specific biochemical reaction going on in your body.High Rt3 is seen in inflammation.Its a marker for high stress (biological and biochemical).

Guys for christ sakes, most of y'all don't have thyroid issues but "thyroid hormones conversion issues" affected by a specific mechanism.Find this mechanism and correct it.You can do it with a functional medicine expert.Go on the institute for functional medicine website.

Stop manipulating your hormones and do proper evaluation to see whats happening in your system:
Crp, cytokines, prolactin, serum iga, estrogen etc......Then find a functional medicine doctor for interpretion.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hormones imbalances are.just an expression of the cause. When are.drs going to wake up and realize this?

shbg82

Awards
My personal experience with T3 only was not very good. 80mcg of T3 only pushed my cortisol 20% above maximum levels, dropped my DHEA to less than 10% of range, and pushed my SHBG WAY WAy up. T3 killed my FT, E2, DHT, and I dropped 20lbs of muscle and bone in 8 months.

I opine with this article
tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My personal experience with T3 only was not very good. 80mcg of T3 only pushed my cortisol 20% above maximum levels, dropped my DHEA to less than 10% of range, and pushed my SHBG WAY WAy up. T3 killed my FT, E2, DHT, and I dropped 20lbs of muscle and bone in 8 months.

I opine with this article
tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html
I am now off T-3 and just using 3.5 grains NP thyroid and doing great. In next 6 months I am looking to get off thyroid meds completely. SHBG rising is due to thyroid meds, It may take over a year to come down, and people who do not think danazol has any purpose well think again. For people on thyroid who have this issue it may be necessary to over ride the SHBG increase. When I am dialed in at 16-20 e2 with 20-25 SHBG. I am popping boners non stop with good refractory time to. My SHBG is being driven up by inflamation in GI tract and liver. I am finally got the GI under control after months of researching the pieces are finally connecting. Liver will be rebalanced once the GI tract gets stable (4-6 months on the average), after 2 weeks bowel have returned to normal after 6 years of rabbit pebbles now kicking out lincoln logs.

funick972

Awards
I am now off T-3 and just using 3.5 grains NP thyroid and doing great. In next 6 months I am looking to get off thyroid meds completely. SHBG rising is due to thyroid meds, It may take over a year to come down, and people who do not think danazol has any purpose well think again. For people on thyroid who have this issue it may be necessary to over ride the SHBG increase. When I am dialed in at 16-20 e2 with 20-25 SHBG. I am popping boners non stop with good refractory time to. My SHBG is being driven up by inflamation in GI tract and liver. I am finally got the GI under control after months of researching the pieces are finally connecting. Liver will be rebalanced once the GI tract gets stable (4-6 months on the average), after 2 weeks bowel have returned to normal after 6 years of rabbit pebbles now kicking out lincoln logs.
If elimination diet can heal autism it can heal thyroid also (i mean the hormonal system)

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
If elimination diet can heal autism it can heal thyroid also (i mean the hormonal system)
Agreed!! people are so off the marker when it comes to health its disturbing. Since working with other physcians they are finally starting to see the light when dealing with patients by looking at it exoteric vs esoterically. Cause vs symptoms approach. I am finally making huge head way in the medical community. Need to get more Dr's on board, just going to be a matter of time before they catch on to direction medicine is going. Individualized medicine is the waive of the future where it is one stop shopping vs just dealing with one area (hormones only). Its the integration of the immune, neurological, hormones, structural, environment, psychological as well as lifestyles imbalances which will be the future patient model,

Cure is a strong word. Help relieve or improve symptoms for better quality of life is more suspectible. I never want to come of "curing" a person you are setting your self up for major legal issues. Getting a person well or improving quality of life is more politically correct.