What is normal testosterone and prolactin levels? - AnabolicMinds.com

What is normal testosterone and prolactin levels?

1. New Member

What is normal testosterone and prolactin levels?

My testosterone level about 6 months ago was 412. My prolactin was 24 which is very high. My endocrinologist sent me to do a test and my testosterone level is 478 and my prolactin is 16.8.

I'm 23 male Asian if that matters. Does anyone know what is the appropriate range for someone my age range? I don't want something like 350-1100 because that is the range for people of all ages. She also told me that testosterone differs depending on ethnicity. If your asian according to her, it would be less. I googled that and it says that is false. Who is wrong here?

She would not put me on hormone replacement therapy b/c my T level is average according to her. Thoughts?

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by westell1 View Post
    My testosterone level about 6 months ago was 412. My prolactin was 24 which is very high. My endocrinologist sent me to do a test and my testosterone level is 478 and my prolactin is 16.8.

I'm 23 male Asian if that matters. Does anyone know what is the appropriate range for someone my age range? I don't want something like 350-1100 because that is the range for people of all ages. She also told me that testosterone differs depending on ethnicity. If your asian according to her, it would be less. I googled that and it says that is false. Who is wrong here?

She would not put me on hormone replacement therapy b/c my T level is average according to her. Thoughts?
    You would actually be wrong in saying that 3500-1000 is the normal Testosterone range for people of all ages; normal ranges vary between prepubertal (0-14 ng/dl), pubertal (84-480 ng/dl), and adult (300-1000 ng/dl) males.

For an ADULT male the following are the 'normal' ranges:
    * Total Testosterone: 300 – 1000 ng/dl (10.4 – 34.7 nmol/L)
    * Prolactin: 0-15 ng/dl

Hormonal levels are based on SEX.

Your Testosterone levels are within normal ranges, whilst your Prolactin levels are a little high.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. New Member

Do you know what i can do to lower prolactin levels? My endocrinologist just gave me Vitamin D because my Vitamin D was way too low. It was a 9 and she told me i have vitamin D deficiency. She told me to see her again in 3 months and thats it.

Does anyone know what i can do about my prolactin levels? You think it is still okay because it is a 16.8 since last time it was 24.0. Is there anything i can take whether it requires prescription or not to lower it?
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Do you know what i can do to lower prolactin levels? My endocrinologist just gave me Vitamin D because my Vitamin D was way too low. It was a 9 and she told me i have vitamin D deficiency. She told me to see her again in 3 months and thats it.

Does anyone know what i can do about my prolactin levels? You think it is still okay because it is a 16.8 since last time it was 24.0. Is there anything i can take whether it requires prescription or not to lower it?
    It's not as high as it was, but you should still try and get it between normal values. The prescription drug bromocriptine is often used to treat elevated Prolactin levels in men. NATURAL supplements/products that you can use to help decrease Prolactin levels that do NOT require prescriptions include Ginko Bilboa, Vitamin B6, or Vitex.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member

Do you know which one has the best rate of success out of those ? I'm checking out drugstore.com and they have vitamins for the ones with no prescription for a very cheap price.
  6. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Do you know which one has the best rate of success out of those ? I'm checking out drugstore.com and they have vitamins for the ones with no prescription for a very cheap price.
    If you're not going to go prescription drug use Vitex.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

7. New Member

Is there a reason why i read that vitex is mostly used by women and not many by men? I also read using Vitex increases the chance of you having a child. Is this all true?
  8. Professional Member

Do not use Total Testosterone levels to judge if you have enough.
    Best use BAT-BioAvailableTestosterone
    second best FreeTestosterone

Best,
    use test at Quest Diagnostics, (ONLY) this test:

Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS) Code: 14966X

On That test you want to have
    BAT~575

If that test is not available to you, use any other laboratory, and get:

TotalTestosterone
    SGBG
    Albumin

then use a dr Vermulen's chart
    this chart:
    http://www.andropause.org.uk/nomo_tas.pdf

On that chart you want to have
    FreeT(300-350)(I have seen dr Gordon's patient having FreeT~475 on that chart)

===================
    MOST DEFINITELY newer use FreeT tests that are widely available (and used).
    Those tests are crap shoot and nothing but trouble.

Also, there is, relatively new, test at LabCorp, that does BioAvailableTestosterone by direct testing.
    Results from that tests are often bad and misleading, stay away.

9. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Is there a reason why i read that vitex is mostly used by women and not many by men? I also read using Vitex increases the chance of you having a child. Is this all true?
    Vitex is used to normalize excessive Prolactin levels. Women use it because it helps deal with a lot of female issues, among which can include excessive Prolactin levels and infertility. There is no reason why men cannot use it if they are simply looking to decrease Prolactin levels.

I suggest that you see another endocrinologist or doctor, who IS going to make sufficient recommendations in balancing your hormones if your current one is not doing their job thoroughly.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

vitex and definitely vitamin b6 p5p.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

I think your testosterone is on the low side for your age. You need better testing tho, including LH, FSH, free test, shbg, and ultrasensitive estradiol to complete the picture. Based on free T, or LH/FSH, you could be hypogonadal, primary or secondary.

I've never heard of anyone having a Vit D level under 15. That's a serious problem. Vit D is a hormone. Deficiencies can cause a rash of side effects, including depressing. Go get some sun too.

Once you get Vit D and prolactin under control, you ought to do more complete testing. Those 2 could impact matters substantially, so I would think.

Good luck.

P.S. Low T cuz your Asian? Get a new doc.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  12. New Member

Yes my vitamin D is a 9. My endocrinologist gave me the report. I did it under Quest Diagnostics. I have the results here with me.

My total testosterone is 478.
    My Free testosterone is 86.1.
    My Free testosterone percent is 1.8%
    My FSH is 3.5

Yes i do feel depressed all the time. She gave me Vitamin D pill to take twice per week. I am also drinking a lot of milk now. Haven't drank milk in a long time.

I purchased some vitamin b6 on vitacost.com and it will probably come in 1 week- 10 days or so. Also purchased fish oil, zinc, vitamin e and l-arginine as well.

My endocrinologist saids my testosterone level was average for someone like me. She also mentioned that since I am Asian, average is around 400-500. I googled it and online tells me that ethnicity has nothing to do with it. She tells me it does though. She said for Asian its lower so yes thats what she said.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Yes my vitamin D is a 9. My endocrinologist gave me the report. I did it under Quest Diagnostics. I have the results here with me.

My FSH is 3.5

Yes i do feel depressed all the time. She gave me Vitamin D pill to take twice per week. I am also drinking a lot of milk now. Haven't drank milk in a long time.

I purchased some vitamin b6 on vitacost.com and it will probably come in 1 week- 10 days or so. Also purchased fish oil, zinc, vitamin e and l-arginine as well.

My endocrinologist saids my testosterone level was average for someone like me. She also mentioned that since I am Asian, average is around 400-500. I googled it and online tells me that ethnicity has nothing to do with it. She tells me it does though. She said for Asian its lower so yes thats what she said.
    You should get the p5p b-6, from Vitacost or Swanson. You can take the regular at mid day, and the p5p in the morning.

Since your tt is close to 500 (hypogonadal is lees that 320 I think), and your FT is about mid 80s (about 40 over what it takes to be deemed hypogonadal, you will need to find someone that thinks outside the box and thinks something is wrong with your levels for your age, and that with drugs, you can be optimized. My FT is 45, and that was the basis of my dx; and I am secondart based on my LH and FSH numbers, and my HUGE response to hCG. (Some do a clomid test.)

I would encourage you to see another doc after you resolve the prolactin and VIt. D. See above refuller tests. Something is amiss, and you deserve to feel better.
  14. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

My FSH is 3.5
    Normal Ranges Adult Male:
    * Total Testosterone: 300 1000 ng/dl (10.4 34.7 nmol/L)
    * Free Testosterone (21-40 years): 15.0 40.0 pg/ml (520 1387 pmol/L)
    * Percentage of Bioavailable Testosterone: 0.3-5%
    * FSH: 1.0 12.0 U/L

Your Free Testosterone levels are rather high (if they are in pg/ml), but your Free Testosterone percentage is within normal limits. All other levels are normal.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Normal Ranges Adult Male:
    * Total Testosterone: 300 1000 ng/dl (10.4 34.7 nmol/L)
    * Free Testosterone (21-40 years): 15.0 40.0 pg/ml (520 1387 pmol/L)
    * Percentage of Bioavailable Testosterone: 0.3-5%
    * FSH: 1.0 12.0 U/L

Your Free Testosterone levels are rather high (if they are in pg/ml), but your Free Testosterone percentage is within normal limits. All other levels are normal.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    I wouldn't call that "normal" for such a young pup. (Many docs consider TT under 350 to be borderline hypogonadal for dudes over 50. I'd call 600 or so "normal." In any event, it's most certainly not optimal.) TT is unquestionably on the low side, though the free test is pretty normal, and likely to go up once prolactin is addressed.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Prolactin Sides with Low Prolactin Levels?!?
    By Jarred28 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM
  2. very low libido, normal T levels.
    By Desh in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
  3. Fat Guys and Testosterone levels - effect of obesity on male hormone levels
    By SilkPhantom in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 06:17 AM