Androgel next steps

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
Regular bloodwork back in October revealed I had low test (can't recall the exact #'s but somewhere around the low 200 mark) so my Dr. gave me an RX for Androgel (5g/4-pumps). Felt great for a little over a week, then crashed. Just went and had my bloodwork done and my test is actually now lower than it was pre-androgel. Dr is going to set me up with an endo in a couple weeks to discuss options, but what should I do in the meantime? Should I continue to take it? Up the dose? Quit and wait? Ive been taking it for about 8 weeks.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Its because you're shut down, you probably didnt need it to begin with. Quit using it and ask for HCG injections to get you back, then dont fock around with any androgens. JMO

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Regular bloodwork back in October revealed I had low test (can't recall the exact #'s but somewhere around the low 200 mark) so my Dr. gave me an RX for Androgel (5g/4-pumps). Felt great for a little over a week, then crashed. Just went and had my bloodwork done and my test is actually now lower than it was pre-androgel. Dr is going to set me up with an endo in a couple weeks to discuss options, but what should I do in the meantime? Should I continue to take it? Up the dose? Quit and wait? Ive been taking it for about 8 weeks.
Post about your self. age, height, waist size, history of health, history of drug use, etc.

Endos are notoriously bad in helping with low testosterone.
Anti-aging clinics are notorious for taking lots of money for minimal help.
Often, individual osteopaths are (somewhat) helpful.
If you have insurance problems, you can get most of need tests without script for about 1/3 of a price.
The tests are legitimate, done by LabCorp.
You still need doctor to help you evaluate your situation, less $$ for testing is just so you can have some money left to pay rent on end of the month.

First it would be a good idea to asses your overall situation and health.

Situation is often much more complicated and solution is not only Androgel.
Btw, often the required dose is 10grams.
5grams is about enough to shut your own (remaining) testosterone production.

Be prepared for a lots of self learning.
Peruse my thread here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

Look closer at posts #44 and #137

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
Post about your self. age, height, waist size, history of health, history of drug use, etc.

5' 11"
36" waist

Did a cycle of 1/4 AD about 5+ years ago, was diagnosed with low test about 4 years ago, but the Dr asked me to change somethings in my diet and routine before looking at therapy.

Have been really struggling to shed pounds and build muscle for the last year with a pretty spot on diet and routine. Libido has been sufferring as well.

Be prepared for a lots of self learning.
Peruse my thread here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

Look closer at posts #44 and #137

Thanks!

reading now.....

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!

reading now.....
I will give you a "short-cut".
On post #44, there is a list of blood tests, between blue lines.
If you have insurance that would pay for that test,
print out that list, have doctor sign it into script,
go to Quest Diagnostics,
draw blood there.

Results from that list of tests will give you a fighting chance when talking with that or other doctors.

We could discuss those results here, if you post results.

That list is expensive, but it is not all.
Usually you may have to do also

Hair Analysis
FIA SpectraCell-5000
24hr urine Rhein analysis
insuline/glucose challenge test

after research period of time, you doctor will get (hopefully) idea of how to help you.

Your current use of Androgel will cloud the issue.
Specially is you would protest using (testosterone/HCG) forewer, and insist on attempting some kind of restart.

Successful restart would theoretically bring you back to "normal" state.
This is often tried and success rate is very low, but time spend on it and hopes are enormous.

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
We could discuss those results here, if you post results.

Here are my latest labs. This is 2 weeks after stopping Androgel

Testosterone (total) 249 ng/dl (ref 350-1030)
Testosterone (% free) 1.3 (ref 1.5-3.2)
Testosterone (free) 32 (ref 52-280)
SHBG 30 (ref 20-60)
Prolactin 76 ng/dl (ref 3-18)
LH 2.0 (ref 1.7-8.6)
FSH 3.2 (ref 1.5-12.4)
TSH 2.01 (ref .450-4.5)
Cortisol 14.5 (ref 2.3-19.4)
IGF-1 251 (ref 115-307)
Estradiol 7.5 (ref 7.6-42.6)

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
That prolactin number of 76 looks alarming. On a range of 3-18, that is waaay too high. I'd insist of the endo to get you set up for a head MRI to look for a pituitary tumor. High prolactin will stomp on libido.

Also, TSH by itself is stupid of docs to depend on solely to determine thyroid health. Get Total T3 and T4, and Free T3 and T4 tested. Try to get Reverse T3 tested also. If the doc won't test them, look for one that will, but in the meantime you can get tested cheap with Labcorp via privatemdlabs.com.

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
That prolactin number of 76 looks alarming. On a range of 3-18, that is waaay too high. I'd insist of the endo to get you set up for a head MRI to look for a pituitary tumor. High prolactin will stomp on libido.

Yup, she ordered me to get one (mri) ASAP

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
. Get Total T3 and T4, and Free T3 and T4 tested. Try to get Reverse T3 tested also
I did see t4 on my lab sheet, but no T3

T4 (Free) 1.11 ng/dl (ref .82-1.77)
T4 6.3 ug/dl (ref4.5-12)
Thyroid Peroxidas (TPO) 7 IU/ml (ref 0-34)

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
They did not properly do a thyroid panel. You need to see what your total and free T3 is.

Your total T4 looks lowish.