Vitamin D

K

keithdolby

Awards
hello,

does taking high dose of vitamin d supplements ( around 8-10,000 iu daily) affect calcium levels or the parathyroid gland? I do not take any calcium supplements. Thanks

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
yeah it should actually increase it, because it increases the absorption of minerals

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin D will actually help absorption of calcium and help move it to the correct locations in your body i.e. bones instead of artery walls(plaque).

Vitamin D is fat soluble so you can take a pretty huge dose all at once, like 100,000 IU and not get another dose for 1-2 months, but what I do is 5000 IU every other day.

Really you should get a blood test to check your actual levels. The one you want is 25 OH vitamin D test which is pronounced 25 hydroxy vitamin D. This is the most active form of vitamin D in the blood so is the one you want to test.

The general suggestion is to have 75 ng/mL but some research is suggesting even higher levels towards 100 ng/mL may be beneficial.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with 8-10,000 IU per day?

K

keithdolby

Awards
thanks for the replys. I am taking around 8-10,000 ius daily to try to get my d3 blood test into the 75-100 range. When i was taking 4-5000ius daily my blood test of d3 was in the mid 50's. I know there is a relationship between calcium and vitamin d, but am not enterily sure the physiology behind it and why there is a realtionship, and trying to make sure I dont totally mess up calcium levels or somehow affect the parathyriod.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Some good information on how vitamin D can help calcium absorption in the small intestine. It's kind of technical though.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/11/3137

Basically they're saying that there are passive and active ways calcium is absorbed. Vitamin D can increase the active calcium transport channels in the ileum(part of the small intestine).

I'm not sure if overdoing vit. D would affect the parathyroid but as long as your 25-OH D levels are 75-100 there should not be any problem. This is a normal and recommended range by a lot of people and is safe.

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
Vitamin D will actually help absorption of calcium and help move it to the correct locations in your body i.e. bones instead of artery walls(plaque).

Vitamin D is fat soluble so you can take a pretty huge dose all at once, like 100,000 IU and not get another dose for 1-2 months, but what I do is 5000 IU every other day.

Really you should get a blood test to check your actual levels. The one you want is 25 OH vitamin D test which is pronounced 25 hydroxy vitamin D. This is the most active form of vitamin D in the blood so is the one you want to test.
Yep. I tested low and my doctor prescribed me 50,000 i.u. once a week and told me i could continue my multi everyday. Oh and she said to try and get at least 20 minutes in the sun per day.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
N

Nemesis RR

Awards
LEF magazine recently had a good article on Vitamin D. Level recommended is 5000ius

P

PPB

Awards
I noticed some D3 supps have soy bean oil listed as the first ingredient. Others use fish oil . I'm guessing the ones without soy bean oil would be better. Does it matter?

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
The amount of oil you'll be ingesting is tiny since the D pills are tiny. I wouldn't worry that much about it. The ones I have are olive oil. There needs to be some oil in the pills since Vit. D is fat soluble so they use it to dissolve the D into it.

P

PPB

Awards
Thanks Pmgamer18 and Eatingisfun for the info. That was helpful.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I use Bio-D Mulsion by Biotics Research Corp.
and I think this is the best out there each drop is 2000 IU's I do 6 drops a day. Some say if you do 2 drops at bedtime it helps you sleep.
http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=13835
Please be aware that there is TWO DIFFERENT strengths of Bio-D Mulsion by Biotics Research Corp.

Bio-D Mulsion Forte by Biotics Research Corp.---->2000 IU

Bio-D Mulsion by Biotics Research Corp.---------->400 IU

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You guys are taking heaps of vit D.

I got tested moderately low, I think 25 or something, I got prescribed 2000IU for the 1st month and 1000IU each day, its been about 3 months and getting follow ups soon, should have results in about a week.

P

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
On 6 drops or 24,000 IU's my labs were still under mid range on 7 drops I do great.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
How long after taking a set dose do you guys get blood work? It takes a couple months to stabilize I think.

I did feel better when I was taking 2000IU though, I think I will come back lowish in range even though its summer here now, if I do I will probably bump it up to 3000IU per day.

BTW its a good idea to take calcium with vitamin D.

The relationship isnt so simple between calcium and vitamin D, but if you are taking vit D you need to take calcium aswell if your not getting enough from your diet.

P

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I do labs every 8 weeks been doing this for 27 yrs now.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
You guys are taking heaps of vit D.

I got tested moderately low, I think 25 or something, I got prescribed 2000IU for the 1st month and 1000IU each day, its been about 3 months and getting follow ups soon, should have results in about a week.
what did your lab results come back as?

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
what did your lab results come back as?
53 nmol/L (51-140) and it was summer.
It was 30 (50-150) in winter before I started vitamin D.
So I am taking about 3000IU per day now even though I probably should be taking more.