Low t

3djedi

Awards
I had total testosterone of 188 (250-1100) with a low normal free t. Lh, prolactin, and ACTH were all normal. This means testacles and pituitary are working fine, correct? And if they are, why the low t? I've never used steroids. Maybe my nuts are low producers? Does this make me a candidate for trt? What are my options?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
it probaly makes you a candidate, but if your free T is fine, then you are fine. Trt will probably throw some of those other numbers off anyway.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I had total testosterone of 188 (250-1100) with a low normal free t. Lh, prolactin, and ACTH were all normal. This means testacles and pituitary are working fine, correct? And if they are, why the low t? I've never used steroids. Maybe my nuts are low producers? Does this make me a candidate for trt? What are my options?
no that means you're testicles are NOT working fine

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Dr.'s make me dam mad if your in the normal range for LH this dose not mean your ok if your low normal with T levels like this you need to look into your Pituitary for a tumor. If your Lh numbers are high end of normal this means your testis are not making enough T and your pituitary is asking for more T by sending a lot of LH to them.

Don't go on TRT until you figure out why your low there are many things that can do this and if you figure them out and fix them your levels can go back up. If you go on TRT this shuts down your Pituitary and it's hard to find out why your so low.

Poor Diet and over doing it in the weight room will do this a fatty liver, Thyroid with bad Adrenals or low Cortisol levels will lower your T levels. The list is long.

3djedi

Awards
Thanks for the info. I went to my gp today and he said everything looks pretty good. Total t was a little low. Lol a little?! Anyway, he is sending me to a urologist for further eval.

My lh was 3.3 (1.9-8.9)

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Do you have low T with normal free T or low Free T

3djedi

Awards
Low total test 188(240-1100). Free test 50.8(35-155)

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
There are many factors that can lead to low total testosterone levels, but yours is quite low. Mine was in the mid 300's and I went on TRT after further blood tests and consultation.

I suggest the first thing you do is re-test to ensure there wasn't an issue at the lab. Then speak with an endo if your levels are still off. You are definitely a candidate for TRT with a 188. That's dangerously low.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
There are many factors that can lead to low total testosterone levels, but yours is quite low. Mine was in the mid 300's and I went on TRT after further blood tests and consultation.

I suggest the first thing you do is re-test to ensure there wasn't an issue at the lab. Then speak with an endo if your levels are still off. You are definitely a candidate for TRT with a 188. That's dangerously low.
When Testosterone is low it is more likely a symptoms of the cause rather then the cause it self. Please have the thyroid, adrenals properly evaluated before condeming your self to tRT. If they would have identifiy the stressor then I would not be doomed for life on HRT. Find the cause not treat just the symptoms. Too many Dr's are just plain lazy. For good HRT DR that will look to the cause PM ME.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Hard is right and to have a level of TT of 188 with a level of 3.3 for LH tells me your pituitary is not sending the messages of LH and FSH to your testis so your testis might be good and work. You need to get with a good Dr. to go over all of this before doing any kind of TRT. Also high levels of Estradiol will lower ones LH and FSH making it look like it's a Pituitary problem when it's not. So get your Estradiol levels down check your Thyroid and Adreanls then see how Testosterone levels look.

3djedi

Awards
I posted the lh wrong. Here is all the current labs

total t 188(250-1100)
free t 50.8(35-155)
estradiol 23 (13-54)

tsh 2.34(.4-4.5)
free t4 1.0(.8-1.8)
free t3 330(230-420)

ACTH plasma 32(7-50)
lh 3.9 (1.5-9.3)
prolactin 12.8 (2-18)

symptoms:

anxiety/ panic
lightheaded dizzy sometimes
shortness of breath feeling sometimes
poor memory
kind of sad feeling alot
grumpy
no joy or excitement
apathy
low confidence
no motivation
brain fog
slow pulse (44 bpm sometimes)
fatigue tired all the time
flushing
low sex drive
borderline high blood pressure
metabolic syndrome
low body temp (96.8 upon waking)
tinnitus

that's everything I can think of. I thought for sure it was hypothyroidism but my labs look pretty good according to doc.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I am not a Dr. but have been helping people with thyroid problems for yrs. Your TSH is on the high side and your Free T4 and T3 are low to mid range. And if this was a morning blood test your ACTH is on the low side. I feel your Secondary and before going on TRT you need to do more testing on your Thyroid and Adrenals. Read this link.
http://livingnetwork.co.za/hormones/adrenal-fatigue/
You can go on TRT but if your Cortisol and Thyroid levels are low your not going to feel better.
Doing this self test will tell you if your Thyroid is low this is how they checked it before labs and it's still a good way to tell if you might have a thyroid problem.

3djedi

Awards
Thanks for the info! I will check it out when I get home. What kind of dr do you recommend? Endo, uro, do, or would I be best served at an anti-aging type clinic? Thanks again!

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I don't like Endo's and most Uro's are not good at hormones you need a good Dr. that is up on and treats a lot of men for hormones. One good way is to Call and ask questions like how many men dose he treat for low Testosterone and does he check to see why one is low. Does he check for high Estradiol levels and treat with Arimidex. Will he all HCG to a mans TRT does he test and treat for Adrenal Fatigue and so on. I feel DO Dr.'s are the best for this.
http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15451

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Your symptoms are suggestive of hypothyroidism, but don't get your hopes up getting thyroid medicine from most docs since you're numbers are still "in range".

An LH of 3.9 with testosterone at only 188 suggests your pituitary gland is not properly reading your hormone levels. Normally, it would raise your LH to tell your testicles to make more T.

Getting an MRI to rule out a pituitary tumor is not a bad idea.

Also, prolactin/testosterone ratio is too high. That's a libido killer.

Hope you find a doc that can give you the proper treatment.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Hard is right and to have a level of TT of 188 with a level of 3.3 for LH tells me your pituitary is not sending the messages of LH and FSH to your testis so your testis might be good and work. You need to get with a good Dr. to go over all of this before doing any kind of TRT. Also high levels of Estradiol will lower ones LH and FSH making it look like it's a Pituitary problem when it's not. So get your Estradiol levels down check your Thyroid and Adreanls then see how Testosterone levels look.
Yeah, he should definitely retest because when your test is low, with a healthy pituitary gland it increases LH and FSH, but its not consistantly increased, it pulsates. By this I mean you could test one day and it be normal, and then the next time you test is it may be at the top of the range. It doesnt stay elevated...

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Yes do test for this I was told for 23 yrs that I am Primary meaning my testis don't work but 4 yrs ago when I added HCG to my TRT my Total T levels doubled so I am Seconday now I treat all the hormones that are low normal that are controled by my Pituitary and today I feel great.

Just going on TRT and not knowing why your low does not fix the problems.

3djedi

Awards
I went to a new doc today and he looked at my labs and said my testosterone was fine and not the problem. He saw my lipid panel and said I was probably glucose intolerant or insulin resistant. He wants me to come in for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. What do you guys think about this?

I found this guy through the college pharmacy website. He is known for test pellet implants.

My chol does suck. Chol total 219. Hdl 28. LDL 135. Trig 280

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I am not a Dr. but dam man anyone can see you have low Testosteone and your levels of LH tell me your having problems with your Pituitary not your dam sugar.

WTF is this Dr. looking at.
total t 188(250-1100)
free t 50.8(35-155)
estradiol 23 (13-54)

tsh 2.34(.4-4.5)
free t4 1.0(.8-1.8)
free t3 330(230-420)

ACTH plasma 32(7-50)
lh 3.9 (1.5-9.3)
prolactin 12.8 (2-18)

You don't get labs this low having a sugar problem high or low.

3djedi

Awards
Yeah, he said my free t was normal and that's what is important. I think I might go ahead and do his glucose test because he probably right about that and need to change my diet. I will look for another doc for the low t.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
You need to understand about Free T it is only 2% of all the testosterone you have in your body do the math 2% or your low level of Total T is nothing.
Here is a cut and paste about this from this link.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_science/the_big_t;jsessionid=D35939D7D0C2482A3BA3DFD938D83057.hydra
You men need to learn about this before you see a Dr. most Dr.'s are not up on this and Pellet Dr.'s are corcks the give men pellets for a dam lot of money telling them they last 4 months and giving a man 700 mgs of pellets for $1500 will not last a month. One need 1500 mgs to evern last near 3 months.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_science/the_big_t;jsessionid=D35939D7D0C2482A3BA3DFD938D83057.hydra

I have been there done that.

====================================
As I said, bioavailable T represents the Testosterone that is not SHBG bound, while free T represents the Testosterone that's not bound to any blood proteins at all. It's tricky, I know, but I hope that it's now evident that although only about 2% of the T in blood is technically considered free T, there is a larger percentage of T (about 40% or so) that is bioavailable because it's only weakly bound to non SHBG blood proteins.

3djedi

Awards
I just did some research and I found out that "testosterone greatly reduces insulin resistance". Seems like doctors always want to treat the symptoms and not the cause. I won't be returning to that doctor.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
What I tell all men is you need to learn all about this do when your seeing a Dr. you know your getting the best care you can get. A lot of men with high sugar levels find going on TRT for low Testostoene helps this problem to get better.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
What I tell all men is you need to learn all about this do when your seeing a Dr. you know your getting the best care you can get. A lot of men with high sugar levels find going on TRT for low Testostoene helps this problem to get better.
Balancing lifestyle, proper nutrition, and stress management can also reduce insulin resistance. These should be primary before comensing TRT. As well as looking at the adrenals and thyroid can also have a huge impact on insulin managment. Improper sleep will also affect insulin imbalances as well ..Low dhea needs to be evaluated too.