Most important Estrogen Tests?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I am having total and free testosterone tested with the suspicion that they are low. To head it off at the pass I want to test Estrogen levels to determine (if the tests does in fact turn out low) if that is the cause of low test or if I should look elsewhere? So what is the best estrogen testing to have done......? Total Estrogen? E2? Don't even really know what tests are out there and what are appropriate for a male?

Mr.50

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Ask for a male E2 test from your doc.

LabCorp = Estradiol, Sensitive
Quest = Estradiol, Ultrasensitive

Elevated estradiol (E2) is one cause of low testosterone, especially in middle-aged men. A prescription aromatase inhibitor (AI) such as arimidex can help in such cases.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Ask for a male E2 test from your doc.

LabCorp = Estradiol, Sensitive
Quest = Estradiol, Ultrasensitive

Elevated estradiol (E2) is one cause of low testosterone, especially in middle-aged men. A prescription aromatase inhibitor (AI) such as arimidex can help in such cases.
hey so a male shouldnt get total estrogen tested? What if a doctor tested total estrogen and estradiol was normal, but total estrogen was high(above the range)?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
hey so a male shouldnt get total estrogen tested? What if a doctor tested total estrogen and estradiol was normal, but total estrogen was high(above the range)?
Do not look at total estrogens.
Forget what you have seen.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do not look at total estrogens.
Forget what you have seen.

So are you saying just get the E2 test done? Or more importantly what tests would you reccomend with regard to Estrogen?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I am having total and free testosterone tested with the suspicion that they are low. To head it off at the pass I want to test Estrogen levels to determine (if the tests does in fact turn out low) if that is the cause of low test or if I should look elsewhere? So what is the best estrogen testing to have done......? Total Estrogen? E2? Don't even really know what tests are out there and what are appropriate for a male?

Mr.50
MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT ASK FOR FreeT test.

At Quest Diagnostics do these test:

Estradiol [4021X](13- 54 pg/mL)
Estrogens, Fractionated, LC/MS/MS (36742X)
Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS) Code: 14966X
Dihydrotestosterone
----------------------------------------------------------------

If you have ability to get the tests, I will give you longer list.

Same long list, covered by insurance cost $3500, patient out of pocket $6

When you pay everything I can find the same list for $950

only in USA.