Prolactin

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone hear know at what prolactin level above the norm for a male will start affecting testosterone levels?? I was doing some reading and I found that for males prolactin should be under 20ng/mL. I started sifting through my first set of labs back from 2006 when I was on zero meds and hadnt begun TRT and found that my prolactin levels were 30ng/mL. Is that high enough to affect my testosterone levels.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
After some more research on a fertility site updated in 2009, for a male anything over 15ng/mL can cause testosterone problems and with mine being 30ng/mL I will be getting it checked out.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
oh yes, that will def cause problems. My levels ranged from 20 to 26 recently and I have been having problems.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What really gets me is that I went to an endo and this totally slipped his mind. You go to doctors to get there expertise but in the end you have to do the research yourself.

S

spinn

Awards
  • Established
What really gets me is that I went to an endo and this totally slipped his mind. You go to doctors to get there expertise but in the end you have to do the research yourself.
MOST endos should be sentenced to life in prison in that supermax prison in Coloroado and spend the rest of their lives underground, but I digress.....

If ones prolactin is high, as I suspect mine is, how does one lower it?

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
It takes two of you to progress. Doctors only know so much. The way I do it is that I take information in that I have read and researched. My doc will take what I bring in and take a day or so to research that. In the end, we will come to some common ground.

When we are talking every day issues, that's different. However, some issues are not basic everyday issues.

Research for yourself, work with your doctor to come to a solid end.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well from what I have read, bromocriptine and cabergoline will help lower prolactin, with cabergoline being more effectice. I will be ordering some blood work tomorrow to see what the prolactin levels are now.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Well from what I have read, bromocriptine and cabergoline will help lower prolactin, with cabergoline being more effectice. I will be ordering some blood work tomorrow to see what the prolactin levels are now.
make sure to keep us updated because I am in the same exact situation as you and would be interested in what you find out

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just want to think outloud for a moment in regards to high prolactin levels

1. I responded well to both clomid and hcg raising my testosterone to the high 700's
- does that mean that if I get my prolactin under control that my body would begin to produce testosterone similar to what I got while on clomid or hcg?
2. If not what else could be desensitizing my leydig cells to not respond to lh, or is that the very definition of hypogonadism? But since I respond well to clomid and hcg I am confused.
3. Has there been any studies as to how to modulate the negative feedback loop of testosterone for hypogonadal males?

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anyone get a chance to look over those 3 questions I asked in the above post?

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
well if you responded well to clomid and to HCG, then your leydig cells arent desensitized IMO

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
Pms won't go thru

Hey bigironkiller
Canadapost which turns over to usps

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey, no worries they did get thru. Thanks for checking thou, good man.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Should have the blood tests results on Monday when I see my endo, and will go from there. Will keep you updated....

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Still waiting on the results, but both my endo and psychiatrist said they would prescribe dostinex if prolactin is higher than 15. On a side side note, immediately after I gave blood I started taking high dose B6 and am already experiencing a major increase in scrotum/testicle size. Will be updating again soon.........

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Still waiting on the results, but both my endo and psychiatrist said they would prescribe dostinex if prolactin is higher than 15. On a side side note, immediately after I gave blood I started taking high dose B6 and am already experiencing a major increase in scrotum/testicle size. Will be updating again soon.........
wait how long has it been since you started taking the B6 and how much B6 are you taking?

ugh... i wish my testicles/scrotum would increase in size!!! lucky you man, hope you're on your way to recovery

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Got my blood drawn on last Tuesday and immediately after I took a high initial dose just to flood my system. Exactly what dose I am unsure off, but it is just store brand and I'm taking 4 caps every day. It took about 2 days tops till I started to see a difference. It is most profound at night but still a huge improvement during the day also. Hope this isn't too much info, but before I started taking the B6, my scrotum/testicles looked like a pre-pubescent child and cause of great embarrasment. Now I feel like a new man so to speak junk wise. Will run by my doc today and get the results.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Got my blood drawn on last Tuesday and immediately after I took a high initial dose just to flood my system. Exactly what dose I am unsure off, but it is just store brand and I'm taking 4 caps every day. It took about 2 days tops till I started to see a difference. It is most profound at night but still a huge improvement during the day also. Hope this isn't too much info, but before I started taking the B6, my scrotum/testicles looked like a pre-pubescent child and cause of great embarrasment. Now I feel like a new man so to speak junk wise. Will run by my doc today and get the results.
Naw man, it's not too much info, any info is helping. Yeah my testicles are like that of a pre-pubsscent child as well :(. You got more than just prolactin tested right? Also besides your testicles being bigger, do you feel different? You said you feel like a new man, but what do you mean by that exactly?

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well for a while now I have been on HCG for my low test and have lost some strength on certain lifts but not all, and have even gained on others so that confuses me a little. I will chalk that up to over training and lack luster nutrition. Also being treated for major depression since 19 and that effects my appetite occasionally. Anyways about 1.5 mtgs ago I stopped the HCG and waited to see what happened. Strength isn't coming as easy as when I was on testosterone shots or a previously run sustain alpha cycle but I'm sure that's just because my T levels still aren't where they should be and the B6 won't cover it all, and hoping the Dostinex will give me that final push. So as far as feeling like a man I believe most of it has to due with the size of my guys and producing more on my own T naturally.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Well for a while now I have been on HCG for my low test and have lost some strength on certain lifts but not all, and have even gained on others so that confuses me a little. I will chalk that up to over training and lack luster nutrition. Also being treated for major depression since 19 and that effects my appetite occasionally. Anyways about 1.5 mtgs ago I stopped the HCG and waited to see what happened. Strength isn't coming as easy as when I was on testosterone shots or a previously run sustain alpha cycle but I'm sure that's just because my T levels still aren't where they should be and the B6 won't cover it all, and hoping the Dostinex will give me that final push. So as far as feeling like a man I believe most of it has to due with the size of my guys and producing more on my own T naturally.
ok so besides your testicles increasing in size, you actually feel your body making more natural test aswell??

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I still need to check on my T levels, but the way I am judging things is on strength in the gym, testicle size and general well being. 2 years ago thru my endo we tried a a restart progressing from T shots to HCG and then clomid for 6 wks and nothing happened. I lost all and I mean all strength felt like **** and had zero motivation. Got my prolactin levels a second ago and they were 45(15 being the max for a man). I talked with the doc and told her how I started the B6 and what I have been experiencing. What we have decided to do is continue with the B6 add in Ginko and Vitex and retest prolactin, estradiol, total and free T, dhea, cortisol, lh, fsh, shbg and others I can't remember off hand in 1.5mths. I really hope I can stay the natural route under docs care. Will be keeping seeking updates so don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

M

mqsymth

Awards
Your prolactin level of 45 is very high. You should ask your Endo for an MRI to check for a pituitary tumor. These tumors are almost always benign and can be taken care of with cabergoline 2x or 3x a week.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your prolactin level of 45 is very high. You should ask your Endo for an MRI to check for a pituitary tumor. These tumors are almost always benign and can be taken care of with cabergoline 2x or 3x a week.
You are absolutly correct, my doctor is a little hesitant about the MRI due to lack of other symptoms. I am with you about the caber but together we have decided to go the natural route first. I will retest in 1-2 months and go from there. But your input is greatly appreciated and understood.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
You are absolutly correct, my doctor is a little hesitant about the MRI due to lack of other symptoms. I am with you about the caber but together we have decided to go the natural route first. I will retest in 1-2 months and go from there. But your input is greatly appreciated and understood.
yeah a MRI of the pituitary gland would be nice. My last test had my prolactin at 26, I had a MRI done of my pituitary gland and no tumor was found. But it's good your doctor is working with you, whether its naturally or with medications. My doc isnt doing **** about my condition. Was prolactin all you got tested with this last test?

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah a MRI of the pituitary gland would be nice. My last test had my prolactin at 26, I had a MRI done of my pituitary gland and no tumor was found. But it's good your doctor is working with you, whether its naturally or with medications. My doc isnt doing **** about my condition. Was prolactin all you got tested with this last test?
well I got my prolaction tested by both my endo and psych. Other labs I got were thru my endo and we tested total/free T, estradiol, and some others kinda the bare minimum since prolactin was my target. But since I now how two docs working with each other and listening to what I have to say I believe things will start coming together. Next month or two I'm gonna be running the full gamet if blood work and will post them up.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
well I got my prolaction tested by both my endo and psych. Other labs I got were thru my endo and we tested total/free T, estradiol, and some others kinda the bare minimum since prolactin was my target. But since I now how two docs working with each other and listening to what I have to say I believe things will start coming together. Next month or two I'm gonna be running the full gamet if blood work and will post them up.
ok so the test that showed the 45 level reading for prolactin, what else was tested with that test?

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Still waiting for the endo bloodwork to come in but I will post as soon as I get them.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Still waiting for the endo bloodwork to come in but I will post as soon as I get them.
ok, didnt mean to sound like I'm rushing you. I was just confused on whether or not with this past test if you only tested prolactin or if you were just waiting for the other results.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No worries man, I'm always anxious awaiting test results.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am going to throw a wrench into the equation. I really don't know how this happened but I seem to have been mistaken when I attributed my feeling alpha male, increase strength, overall mood, increase in testicle/scrotum size to taking vitamin B6. It appears Mixed up my B vitamins and have
been taking Niacin. Let's move past the how I did
such a thing to why these changes are happening despite not addressing the prolactin issue and if
along with the prolactin issue I might be B vitamin deficient. Also let's open up another door, how can I find out if I am vitamin b deficient without stopping taking the niacin because like I have said this whole thread I feel great since taking it, and have spent the day making sure nothing else has changed and nothing has changed.

R

RavensFan2k3

Awards
well all b-vitamins apparently help increase dopamine, which lowers prolactin...so what could explain everything going on for you

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Got back my lab results and the only things not normal are my estradiol level of 54(should be between 20-30) and low total testosterone of 206(not even in the lab range). Gonna ask doc for armidex then retest in 6wks. Next test will be sure to be more comprehensive.

D

DrtyDiverDave

Awards
Hey BigIron... Not to scare you, but I had the same types of symptoms (well, a lot worse, actually), and my Prolactin Level was 3,500 - that isn't typo.

I had a 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm Prolactinoma brain tumor on my Pituitary. It was so big that it was starting to compress my carotid vein on the left side. I was probably a few months or so from stroking out...

Had it removed, and all is well now, finally, a year and a half after surgery.

They told me this is one of the least-diagnosed conditions in men. Usually, it hits you when you're older, and affects your mood and sex drive, which most of us dudes chalk up to getting old...

Get an MRI just to make sure - I was on Bromocryptine for 6 months before surgery, and all it did was cause my tumor to get hard and purple (according to the surgeon who removed it) - I'm told that if it starts coming back, I'll have to go on Cabergoline.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Dave.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey BigIron... Not to scare you, but I had the same types of symptoms (well, a lot worse, actually), and my Prolactin Level was 3,500 - that isn't typo.

I had a 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm Prolactinoma brain tumor on my Pituitary. It was so big that it was starting to comeress my carotid vein on the left side. I was probably a few months or so from stroking out...

Had it removed, and all is well now, finally, a year and a half after surgery.
They told me this is one of the least-diagnosed conditions in
men. Usually, it hits you when you're older, and affects your mood and sex drive, which most of us dudes chalk up to
getting old...

Get an MRI just to make sure - I was on Bromocryptine for 6 months before surgery, and all it did was cause my tumor to get hard and purple (according to the surgeon who removed it) - I'm told that if it starts coming back, I'll have to go on Cabergoline.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Dave.
Well unfortunately I have a bigger issue right now. I just reported my doctor to the FDA for possible malpractice, for ignoring my high estradiol levels, refusing to prescribe an AI like Armidex and instead prescribing EVISTA. Evista is not even approved for use in males and wouldn't do anything to lower my esto levels.

D

DrtyDiverDave

Awards
Hard to imagine a "bigger issue" than a Brain Tumor, dude...

:laughing:

Dave.

B

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's not what I
meant but, yeah it sounded like I didn't care :)

gotta find a new doc first

B

billcat

Awards
Have an MRI to check for prolactinoma just in case.
But if you have elevated prolactin levels, but are showing none of the symptoms of such, you might have macroprolactinemia. This is not an uncommon cause of high prolactin levels and is caused by heavier prolactin variants in the blood. These will accumulate and give a high prolactin level on an ordinary test. They can be separated out of the sample for a special test so one can test for simple prolactin. Whether macroprolactin is biologically active at all remains controversial.

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What dosage Vitex, B6 and Ginko does one use for prolactin problems during a PH cycle?