Clomid for HRT???

B

bubblehead77

Awards
Hi all. Initially, my urologist was going to put me on test shots for hrt due to my total test levels being 230 ng/dL but he changed his mind at the last moment. Instead, he opted for clomid therapy (50mg - twice a week). He said he was worried about future fertility issues with me since I was so young (32 y.o.).

I am a bit disappointed , but I would like to get my levels up again. What is everyone's opinion on clomid therapy as a primary hrt? With such a low dosage will it help me out? Everywhere I've read, clomid should not be taken for an extended amount a time. I'm worried about the long term effects of this as well.

Thanks.

P

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Clomid can cause vision problems. I've read that long-term use is not good. If he's worried about your fertility, ask about hcg monotherapy (if you're secondary), or even testosterone+hcg.

However, before jumping feet first into anything, you need proper testing done. Point out that it would be helpful to know if your hypogonadism is primary or secondary. LH and FSH results should help ferret this out.

B

bubblehead77

Awards
Thanks for the reply. He did test my LH and FSH and they are 2.1 and 2.3 respectively. I guess that makes secondary?

Judging from i've read on this board people have had some luck with this form of therapy. If it is successful, what happens when you come off the therapy? I don't want to stay on this forever since it's somewhat toxic.

E

eger

Awards
I've been running Clomid just like I would after a cycle to try and avoid TRT, been on TRT for 2 years.

TRT was cutting it for me, I had a 279 test level. So I cut out the TRT and started clomid 2 weeks ago. My low test symptoms went away, had my libido back. It lasted all about 3 days and I went back to low test symptoms.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. He did test my LH and FSH and they are 2.1 and 2.3 respectively. I guess that makes secondary?

Judging from i've read on this board people have had some luck with this form of therapy. If it is successful, what happens when you come off the therapy? I don't want to stay on this forever since it's somewhat toxic.
When you testicles are not able to produce enough testosterone, then you have to be on TRT forewer.

If you use hcg, you should still be fertile.
In case of problems, add HMG for the duration unti she gets pregnant.

To be fertile you testicles must work at least little bit.
If you are total Primary, that would mean no sperm and no testosterone.

You are not there, so do not worry.

Actually,
you should try HCG first.
Some people get lucky and that is all that they need.

In any case, when you plan on using testosterone,
first thing,
you have to start with HCG first.
After you are cruising on HCG and do not have enough, add Test.

B

bubblehead77

Awards
Thanks for all the replies. If the clomid therapy doesn't work i'll see if the doctor will try hcg therapy instead. Is this the normal path in ruling out what's ultimately woring with me?