Massive fatigue, what can it be now?

flipp

Awards
I am 55 years old, 6' and 180 lbs, and totally skinny fat. Skinny most places but fat in the gut, with love handles, and fat in the chest. I sleep 8 - 10 hrs nightly, don't wake up tired but am tired shortly thereafter. Extremely dry eyes. No motivation. Big mental fog.

I exercise in one way or another 4 - 7 days a week. Mostly, it's stand-up-paddle surfing, for up to 3 hrs in a day, which is one helluva cardio and muscle workout. On days that I don't surf, I am working through the Armstrong Chin Up program, throwing in some planks for ab work, and push ups for balancing things out. But here's the deal. I've been doing the surfing thing for 3 years, month in and month out, with NO change in muscle tone. What am I now I was before. All my friends, meanwhile, who've been doing the same thing, have seen tremendous changes. Weight loss, muscle gain, super-duper core. Why not me, I ask?

And then after any of these exercises, I'm beat. After push ups, it's a 1-2 hr nap. After surfing, I'm toast for the day and sometimes toast for the day after. Plain and simple, I'm not recovering well.

My diet is based on 2200 cals min, based on my 55 years and fear of flab. It's a standard lo-carb plan (50 carbs max daily, except before and after exercise, when I do carbo load a little). Lots of chicken, eggs, tuna, good oils, salads, nuts, etc etc.

What I do know, medically, is that I have hypothyroidism.
Latest test results:
T4: 6.9 (range: 4.9 - 9)
Free T4: 1.01 (.58 - 1.20)
TSH: 0.07 (.34 - 5.6)

These are all the tests my doc would give me and said for T3, etc. I'd have to go to an endo for the rest of it. I made an appointment ... but it's not until November. Sheesh.

I am on: 175 mcg Levothyroxine and 12.5 mcg Cytomel (but only for two weeks on the Cytomel, and one week before the test).

My doc says the reason why I can't put on muscle is genetics and it's never going to happen.

So, given all that, what do you think my next move could be, between now and when I see the endo? Anything I can do in the meantime? Should I try to convince my doctor to give me a hormone panel; and if so, what should that panel consist of?

Thanks much for any help you can offer!

spinn

Awards
  • Established
endos are worthless.....do not spend 5 months waiting for this appointment, in the hopes an endo will help you.

look for a DR of osteopathy

did I mention endos are incompetent crooks?

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Flipp, regardless of endo's, I'd consider getting a GP who is willing to work with you. If your GP prescribed T3 replacement for you without testing your total and free T3, I'd challenge him on it. Since your TSH is below the range, I'd also ask for tests to determine if you have anything wrong with your pituitary gland.

PHil

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I am going to make a few more assumptions about your seemingly endless and futile battel to feel "normal".

You have a lower sex drive, dry scalp or eczema, gassy bowel movements, dark or runny BM's, severe cravings, bloating after eating "certain" meals, flat muscles with low tone, you are irritable and weak, achy back or legs, headaches, you suffer seasonal depression, you are often irregular, poor coloring on the face and sometimes distended belly.

If any of these apply to you i can help you if you are serious about feeling better. I have been where you are now and i know how to "fix" it, its easy and at the base of almost all illnesses i have came across.

Let me know.

flipp

Awards
Flipp, regardless of endo's, I'd consider getting a GP who is willing to work with you. If your GP prescribed T3 replacement for you without testing your total and free T3, I'd challenge him on it. Since your TSH is below the range, I'd also ask for tests to determine if you have anything wrong with your pituitary gland.

PHil
Phil: Actually, I went in and asked for Cytomel, cited my reasons for wanting it, and he gave it to me. But, really, maybe I will look around for an osteopath to work with on this.

Somewhatgifted. Let's see ....

"You have a lower sex drive [YUP], dry scalp or eczema [NOPE], gassy bowel movements [NOPE], dark or runny BM's [NOPE], severe cravings [JUST FOR CARBS AFTER I START DRINKING ....], bloating after eating "certain" meals [ONLY AFTER I GIVE IN TO CARB DESIRE], flat muscles with low tone [ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY; LET'S TRY: NO MUSCLES, NO TONE], you are irritable and weak [NO TO THE FIRST, YES TO THE SECOND], achy back or legs [NO AND NO], headaches [NO], you suffer seasonal depression [NO, I'M DEPRESSED ALL THE TIME, OR AT LEAST I WOULD BE BUT FOR GOD'S GIFT OF ZOLOFT!], you are often irregular [NO], poor coloring on the face [I'M PALE. BUT I'M ALSO BLONDE] and sometimes distended belly [YUP, SOMETIMES]."

So that's the tally. Still think you can offer some helpful advice? If so, fire away!

Anyone else have any thoughts, especially as re testosterone, etc?

Just to be complete: one other thing I have is ideopathic peripheral neuropathy but that doesn't seem to be related to any of this....

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Well the solution you seek is in your diet, not in lab created chemicals. You need to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables as well as educate your self on the "acid/alkaline diet". You very likely have a food allergy and food allergies can accumulate over time when there is not enough diversity in your diet.

flipp

Awards
SG: thanks! I'll Google around.

Meanwhile ... anyone else care to weigh in? Don't be shy!

flipp

Awards
BTW / I found some old Total Testosterone test results from 5 years ago, when I was 49: 466. That's the only T test the doc did at the time and the doc said it was normal. Does that in itself suggest anything to you about why I'm the way I am now, tired and flabby?

Anyway, I hope to get new and more complete T tests soon.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
BTW / I found some old Total Testosterone test results from 5 years ago, when I was 49: 466. That's the only T test the doc did at the time and the doc said it was normal. Does that in itself suggest anything to you about why I'm the way I am now, tired and flabby?

Anyway, I hope to get new and more complete T tests soon.
Please have your thyroid, cortisol, and other hormones properly assessed by a competent dr who knows the hormone system. If you are in the northeastern USA I know of a good DR that would be able to get down to the source of your issue.

flipp

Awards
As it happens, I am in the NE -- Rhode Island, to be exact. That'd be great if you know of someone good. Thanks!