Study - Testosterone Decreases after Ingestion of Sugar

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.26%

Study - Testosterone Decreases after Ingestion of Sugar

I was doing some research on intermittent fasting and ran across this article. My doctor has never been concerned about doing a fasting test for testosterone, the results seem pretty dramatic

The authors found that the glucose solution decreased blood levels of testosterone by as much as 25 percent, regardless of whether the men had diabetes, prediabetes or normal glucose tolerance

Article

Men with low testosterone should have their hormone levels retested after they fast overnight because eating may transiently lower testosterone levels, a new study concludes. The results were presented at The Endocrine Society’s 91st Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.

“Both the incidence of low testosterone, or hypogonadism, in men and the annual number of testosterone prescriptions are increasing, likely as a result of the obesity epidemic and our aging population,” said study co-author Frances Hayes, MD, an endocrinologist at St. Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, who did the research at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston. “The decision to prescribe testosterone therapy is based on the result of a blood sample, so obtaining an accurate measurement of testosterone is key to making a correct diagnosis of hypogonadism.”

In current guidelines for evaluating men with hypogonadism, The Endocrine Society recommends measuring blood levels of testosterone—the major male sex hormone—on two or more occasions in the morning, when testosterone is highest. However, no guidelines exist on when to draw a testosterone sample in relation to food intake, Hayes said.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Insulin resistance causes low T no big secret there.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.26%

True - but when I read insulin resistance I always associate that with a diabetic/prediabetic situation. The quote in the study "regardless of whether the men had diabetes, prediabetes or normal glucose tolerance" just made me do a double take.

That plus the statement about doing a fasting test when checking T levels; a 25% difference is HUGE.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    True - but when I read insulin resistance I always associate that with a diabetic/prediabetic situation. The quote in the study "regardless of whether the men had diabetes, prediabetes or normal glucose tolerance" just made me do a double take.

That plus the statement about doing a fasting test when checking T levels; a 25% difference is HUGE.
    You need to look at the duration that it last to really be a factor.
    If there is a 2-3 hour decrease then yes

Simple put cut sugaing, sodas, eating natural food would reduce 70% of modern illness out there. Known fact sugar feeds cancer cells. Soda depeltes calcium making out bodies acidic as is. I never eat sugar I eat all natural 90% of the time so do all the people i have worked with. One guy had a small pituatary tumor automatically shrink for no reason. Onyl thing he changed was his eating habits and lifestyle. Tumor had been there for long time.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.33%

The level of knowledge on this site is impressive
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Quote:
    The authors found that the glucose solution decreased blood levels of testosterone by as much as 25 percent, regardless of whether the men had diabetes, prediabetes or normal glucose tolerance
    After ingesting glucose insulin is released.
    So reduction of testosterone may also be due to increase in insulin levels.

Wonder what would be a body reaction to just injecting insuline (without consuming glucose).

How much insuline one would have to inject and how often to get (some) desirable effects (if any).

I think that it should help with losing body fat.
    Testosterone dose would possibly have to be increased.
    -----------------------
    Only short acting insuline could be used for this type of project.

A problem with long acting insuline appears if it would continue acting while asleep: one might die if insufficient carbs had been taken.

------------------------
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Yep ... insulin and cortisol response is inverse to test

Its standard stuff. The problem I have here is the lack of regard for low GI food. The guys (and girls) around here have very impressive eating disaplines ... every few hours but white bread / white pasta ... However you don't catch them eating sweets (candy).

Similar Forum Threads

1. Subcutaneous Testosterone Injections Study
    By 1cc in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
  2. Heres a study on hgh and Testosterone
    By citystreets in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
  3. Study says risk of bone fracture higher in low testosterone men
    By goshawk in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1