Low ferritin, low thyroid

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Low ferritin, low thyroid

How specifically does low ferritin affect the thyroid ?
    All articles say it effects the active t3 binding, but they do not explain does this mean t-3 actually doing its job at the receptor or the conversion of t4 to t3.
    There is speculation that with low ferritin that thyroid can not be activated at the tissue level. Is this really true because I thought cortisol was responsible for this function. Reason being is that I have ferritin of 40 and my hair keeps falling out. I have had low ceruloplasm and copper serum for 5 years now but no one can give me an explanation to why this is. I even supplemented thinking I was low 5 mgs a day reducing zinc down to 30 mgs a day and retested in 2 months. While taking the supplement up to night before the test it still tested low. How can this be..With out ceruloplasm iron does not get transported to the tissue as indicated on alot of my functional test as well as hair analysis copper, iron, molybednum were all low and have been for years. I;m just confused. I have alot of signs of wilsons disease but can not get an accurate diagnosis. I do take iodoral and I have heard this can deplete iron levels but even taking 50 mgs a day I test ferritin at 42 even taking iron night before the test. When was my healthiest ferritin was 166. Could the copper transport defect be causing low ferttin despite proper supplementation? I do have low thyroid which I am working on to get numbers in optimal range. My last numbers where good but the lab did not test the total levels so they basically where useless for me. From my research and healthy people (no thyroi/adrenal issues) I tested who do not take iron supplementations ferritine levels range from 130-200.
    _
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.47%

Did you ever do the 24h urine copper to rule out Wilsons? Aside from a liver biopsy (ouch), it is the definitive test. It sucks that your ceruloplasmin doesn't come up... mine went back up as soon as I reduced zinc and started taking copper separately.

Per Dr M, optimal ferritin for thyroid and dopamine is mid-range (150 for men)... has me taking ferrous sulfate 2x day until I reach this level. I take with vitamin C to enhance absorption.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.11%

Per Dr M, optimal ferritin for thyroid and dopamine is mid-range (150 for men)... has me taking ferrous sulfate 2x day until I reach this level. I take with vitamin C to enhance absorption.

150 for Ferritin??? they seems a bit high
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.53%

nope because when I have tested people with no issues it average 150-175 ferritin.
    Too much zinc can lower ferritin. I reduce zinc to 30 mgs and adding in 2 mgs of copper
    with 100 mgs of iron chelate working to get up to 150 as well..my dopamine and catecholamines are all in the crapper and i know iron is important in these reactions

i notice when ferritn levels are low my tongue is beef and coated.

With out copper your liver detoxifaction and methylation is altered.
    Could this be the key that alleviates my estrogen issues..From my research it should be once i get methylation rolling..How long did it take to get your copper up? and did you feel different when you did
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.53%

low ferritin causes thyroid hormone to be less effective at tissue causing excessive stress to already stressed adrenals. By increasing ferritin levels this will make thyroid more optimal reducing stress on adrenals. Does this make sense of why I am experiencing hypo and hypo adrenal symptoms because low ferritin is stressing on both.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.11%

i had low copper, ferritin and zinc
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.53%

Quote Originally Posted by engival View Post
    i had low copper, ferritin and zinc
    also have low thyroid which can affect zinc, ferritin metabolism
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.53%

What is the best way to get ferritin up?
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.53%

Quote Originally Posted by superone View Post
    What is the best way to get ferritin up?
    take iron 50 mgs BID with vitamin C 500 mgs away from all calcium, copper, zinc, 2 hours or more
    match sure you have a balance of minerals other wise you will fuk something else up. i find that guy take more then 30-40 mgs of zinc a day with out proper iron, copper, manganese to balance it out ferritin level drops and over time so does cholestesterol levels as well.

I find 100 mgs iron bisglycinate, 30 mgs picolate zinc 2-3 mgs of copper chelate, 15-20 mgs of manganese gluconate should cover all your basis. Lean guy made a good point take each one of them in sepreate form not in multivitamin ..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ideal ferritin
    By LeanGuy in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
  2. Low Ferritin
    By steve999 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 02:46 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
  4. Thyroid PCT