Why use oil as base for testosterone

keithdolby

Awards
Hi,

I was wondering why they use oil for a base for testosterone. I was reading in a anatomy&physiology book that fat is one of the few substances that can readily pass the blood/brain barrier, while most other substance have a hard time getting through the bbb in a realitevely healthy person. Since oil is a fat, I assume the oil in the testosterone will cross the bbb. I know the brain is mostly fat, but that still seems like alot of oil crossing the bbb especially if you are on test injections for the rest of your life. I must not know something or be misinformed because I know many of you would not be doing trt if it were not considered that safe. thanks

BALifter

BALifter

Awards
In simple terms...the oil you inject will have no different effect on your body or brain that if you drank it. No, that doesnt mean you can drink your testosterone.

keithdolby

Awards
So the brain wont have like an extra pound of oil in it after prolonged testosterone therapy? My physiology book says fats easily pass the blood brain barrier, so doesnt it make sense that the brain would become filled with oil after a while.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Why use oil as a base for testosterone?

It tastes better on salads. :wave2:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So the brain wont have like an extra pound of oil in it after prolonged testosterone therapy? My physiology book says fats easily pass the blood brain barrier, so doesnt it make sense that the brain would become filled with oil after a while.
Not all of the injection is oil, either. Oil is used as a base because test (and all hormones) are lipophilic, which means that they're fat loving. Also, the ester attached to the test molecule is there to slowly disburse the active testosterone.

keithdolby

Awards
Ok, Thanks. Still dont understand what happens to the extra oil or ester. Does it stay in the body or brain? I don't want to be filling my brain or body up with pounds of oil over the course of years if I am going to be on trt.