Cortisol and building muscle...

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I'm taking Isocort and DHEA as apart of a regimine to heal my faituged adrenals. I was alittle concerned about the isocort raising my cortisol too high and prohibiting me to gain muscle. Is this true? I'm taking 8 pellets of isocort and 25mg of DHEA twice daily. Will this keep me from making muscle gains?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
The normal dose of isocort is 4 tablets, twice per day.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Yes, I know...thats what I'm taking. So thats not too much cortisol? And it wont interfere with other supplements and more importantly inhibit muscle growth?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No it's not too much.

It's hard to build muscle with a fatigued CNS anyhow. Supporting your CNS will benefit training, and will likely bring test levels back higher too. I'm no expert though..

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Isocort is not standardized and compared to real HC (which I just started), it feels night-and-day different. IMO isocort has very little cortisol, which is why its OTC. It can help, but it depends how fatigued your adrenals are. Without enough cortisol I would need to stop working out.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
No it's not too much.

It's hard to build muscle with a fatigued CNS anyhow. Supporting your CNS will benefit training, and will likely bring test levels back higher too. I'm no expert though..
Isocort is not standardized and compared to real HC (which I just started), it feels night-and-day different. IMO isocort has very little cortisol, which is why its OTC. It can help, but it depends how fatigued your adrenals are. Without enough cortisol I would need to stop working out.
Ok so I understand cortisol is important. So what I'm doing with the 4 pellets of Isocort 2x a day and 25mg of DHEA 2x a day is perfectly fine and this isnt too much cortisol and I should be able to build muscle, perhaps even better than if I weren't taking them if my adrenals really are fatigued?

DHEA counter acts cortisol, correct? What time of the day should I be taking these, since I'm taking them twice a day? Does it matter? Does it matter if I take it anywhere near my workout. I thought that if I took it near my workout, it'll hinder my gains because the cortisol I'm taking would inhibit muscle growth.

If one is trying to heal their adrenals, should they not lift weights? I mean since i stresses the adrenals? Pretty much my main question and concern is will I be able to build muscle normally while taking Isocort(and DHEA)?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also I feel this would apply to you, even if your adrenals are weakened; training over 45-60minutes leads to a sharp rise in Cortisol levels, which is what you're worried about. So I would suggest having shorter workouts, no more than 45 minutes if you are worried about the damaging effects of cortisol.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Also I feel this would apply to you, even if your adrenals are weakened; training over 45-60minutes leads to a sharp rise in Cortisol levels, which is what you're worried about. So I would suggest having shorter workouts, no more than 45 minutes if you are worried about the damaging effects of cortisol.
I understand that, but I'm worried about the cortisol that I'm putting into my body, you know? Since no one seems to know how much is in Isocort I dont want 6 months of intense trainning to pass and I have nothing to show for it because of the cortisol I've been putting into my body.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I understand that, but I'm worried about the cortisol that I'm putting into my body, you know? Since no one seems to know how much is in Isocort I dont want 6 months of intense trainning to pass and I have nothing to show for it because of the cortisol I've been putting into my body.
There's supposed to be 2.5mg cortisol in each pellet, if that. The maximum safe dose is 20mg per day according to a book by Dr. Jeffreys "Safe uses of cortisol". Cortisol is going to increase any time you work out, isocort or not. IMO the best time to take it is before a workout because you'll burn it up and blunt the spike in your natural production which is what tires out the adrenals.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
There's supposed to be 2.5mg cortisol in each pellet, if that. The maximum safe dose is 20mg per day according to a book by Dr. Jeffreys "Safe uses of cortisol". Cortisol is going to increase any time you work out, isocort or not. IMO the best time to take it is before a workout because you'll burn it up and blunt the spike in your natural production which is what tires out the adrenals.
Ok cool. So I me taking isocort I have nothing to worry about? And i'll be able to build muscle just like everyone else?

Also since I'm on the isocort and DHEA, am I able to take supplements sust as testosterone boosters and what not? I am avoiding stimulants and the like, but a testosterone booster doesnt fall under than category, does it? Also it wont negative interact with the DHEA, will it? Making either one of them useless?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Ok cool. So I me taking isocort I have nothing to worry about? And i'll be able to build muscle just like everyone else?
Dude you may be able to build *more* because you'll have more energy. I know several bodybuilders who are on 10mg cortef (prescription HC).

Also since I'm on the isocort and DHEA, am I able to take supplements just as testosterone boosters and what not? I am avoiding stimulants and the like, but a testosterone booster doesnt fall under than category, does it? Also it wont negative interact with the DHEA, will it? Making either one of them useless?
Can't think of any supps that would interfere, except maybe something like testofen (fenugreek) that works via DHEA pathway. When in doubt, check with your anti-aging doc, hopefully you have one.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Dude you may be able to build *more* because you'll have more energy. I know several bodybuilders who are on 10mg cortef (prescription HC).
Oh ****...lol. I didnt even look at it that way. I just see cortisol as bad, and thats it. So me taking something that increases to me is like a big no no.

How long are the people you know on Cortef? It isnt life long, right?

Can't think of any supps that would interfere, except maybe something like testofen (fenugreek) that works via DHEA pathway. When in doubt, check with your anti-aging doc, hopefully you have one.
Ok, so things that are through the DHEA pathway I should lookout for. Something like T-Bol shouldnt be a problem right?

Oh and I actually dont have an anti-aging doctor...so I'm on this on my own. Thats why I'm not on cortef, and I'm on something like Isocort.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol is not bad... without it you would die. Its bad to be too high or too low. Some people just need extra for a little while, allowing the adrenals to rest and repair. If the adrenals get too far gone, then yes they can require HC for life. How do you know you have adrenal problems, have you done a 4x saliva test? Its not good to guess, especially without a doctor.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to think it was bad also, and used to do long runs of cortisol-supressants. Little did I know that I've already been living with low cortisol for years from stimulant abuse and little sleep coupled with a stressful lifestyle.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Cortisol is not bad... without it you would die. Its bad to be too high or too low. Some people just need extra for a little while, allowing the adrenals to rest and repair. If the adrenals get too far gone, then yes they can require HC for life. How do you know you have adrenal problems, have you done a 4x saliva test? Its not good to guess, especially without a doctor.
I used to think it was bad also, and used to do long runs of cortisol-supressants. Little did I know that I've already been living with low cortisol for years from stimulant abuse and little sleep coupled with a stressful lifestyle.
So would it be better for me to just stop lifting weights and let me adrenals heal because I'm assuming the weight lifting will slow down the healing process...Or will me adrenals heal just fine with the isocort, DHEA, maca, and various vitamins and minerals I'm taking all while still doing heavy weightlifting?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
So would it be better for me to just stop lifting weights and let me adrenals heal because I'm assuming the weight lifting will slow down the healing process...Or will me adrenals heal just fine with the isocort, DHEA, maca, and various vitamins and minerals I'm taking all while still doing heavy weightlifting?
Some people need to rest for awhile. I had to cut down on my workouts due to adrenal fatigue... the isocort/hc has allowed me to not stop completely.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Some people need to rest for awhile. I had to cut down on my workouts due to adrenal fatigue... the isocort/hc has allowed me to not stop completely.
You say some people need rest...I'd know this because my body would be physically fatigued and inable to work out right? So you're on isocort/HC? How much are you taking?

Oh and you asked how do I know I have adrenal fatigue...I had ALOT of the symptoms and after research, I found a protocol which involved isocort and 50mg of DHEA daily for a year. Well I've been on that for almost 5 months now. And just about all of the symptoms have gone away.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's good that isocort worked for you, it did nothing for me. I just started on some HC in the am, and I no longer have that morning grogginess.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
That's good that isocort worked for you, it did nothing for me. I just started on some HC in the am, and I no longer have that morning grogginess.
word. 5mg HC has done way more than isocort for me too. It feels like a good cup of coffee but without the jitters.

RavensFan, at some point you should do an adrenal test. This is a bargain:
Amazon.com: Saliva Hormone Test Analysis- Adrenal Stress Panel (5 Tests) DHEA & 4 Diurnal Cortisol: INCLUDES the newly released book SLIM, SANE AND SEXY: Health & Personal Care

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had forgotten what a good cup of coffee feels like. Normally it raises my heartrate without giving me any energy or helping alertness. I mostly drink one in the morning now out of habit now and for the taste and to keep the headaches away from caffeine withdrawl

I'm doing my adrenal test soon, it's sitting at home...I'm just not wanting to stop the HC now that I've tried it. But I will have to ween off it soon. Only doing 5mg in the am and using 4 tabs of isocort mid-afternoon to late afternoon.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing my adrenal test soon, it's sitting at home...I'm just not wanting to stop the HC now that I've tried it. But I will have to ween off it soon. Only doing 5mg in the am and using 4 tabs of isocort mid-afternoon to late afternoon.
i have an adrenal test sitting here on my desk (the one I linked). how long do you need to stay off HC to do it?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not completely sure...the adrenals are down regulated when on HC, so I'm not entirely sure how long you have to stay off it before testing natural levels.

thenxtgrt1

Awards
I'm taking Isocort and DHEA as apart of a regimine to heal my faituged adrenals. I was alittle concerned about the isocort raising my cortisol too high and prohibiting me to gain muscle. Is this true? I'm taking 8 pellets of isocort and 25mg of DHEA twice daily. Will this keep me from making muscle gains?
Would regular DHEA supp or 7-keto DHEA be best for him in this situation?

How did your saliva cortisol results look? Were your levels high or low?

rippedintexas

Awards
For those of you on HC, did/do you have any side effects other than more energy in the morning? I am supposed to start HC 5mg, but mine is compounded sustained-release.

I have the same beliefs as the OP about taking supplemental HC, in that my body seems to be in a catabolic state as it is since I have trouble building muscle.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm in the middle of cutting on a CKD, but I can let you know when I start my bulk.

I don't think 5mg of HC is going to cause problems. If you think about it, it's not going to be a supraphysiological dose, it's just an aid to already low/sluggish adrenals. It's not like you're causing big spikes like what happens with stress.

Also, if you think about it, as long as your test/cortisol ratio is favourable, you're going to be able to build mass. If you're always stressed out and have low test, it might be a little hard to build.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I'm in the middle of cutting on a CKD, but I can let you know when I start my bulk.

I don't think 5mg of HC is going to cause problems. If you think about it, it's not going to be a supraphysiological dose, it's just an aid to already low/sluggish adrenals. It's not like you're causing big spikes like what happens with stress.

Also, if you think about it, as long as your test/cortisol ratio is favourable, you're going to be able to build mass. If you're always stressed out and have low test, it might be a little hard to build.
I'm always stressed out...AND i have low test. Also is it okay to take a testosterone booster while taking isocort and DHEA?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah it should be a good combo... depends on why you have low test though. Don't take a test booster for more than 8 weeks, they only work for about 6-8. They don't work for everyone though. Which one were you thinking of?

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I'm just starting Thermolife's T-Bol.

So there wont be any alterations in the effects of the test booster, even tho I'm taking DHEA and Isocort? I think I'm about to stop taking them(isocort and DHEA). If you saw my other thread, it surely didnt help my total testosterone levels.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You were taking androgel though I though, no? Or you were given a shot of test?

DHEA and isocort shouldn't have a huge impact on overall test levels. Maybe at really high levels DHEA could be a little suppresive over time...

RavensFan2k3

Awards
You were taking androgel though I though, no? Or you were given a shot of test?

DHEA and isocort shouldn't have a huge impact on overall test levels. Maybe at really high levels DHEA could be a little suppresive over time...
No, I was never taking an exogenous source of testosterone...

I think I'm about to stop taking them. Is it better to wean off of them or can I just stop taking them?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you taking them for legitamite adrenal fatigue?
There's no harm in just stopping them. Isocort isn't powerful. How much dhea are you taking?

I noticed it only when I switched from isocort to hydrocortisone and missed a morning HC dose one day...I was falling asleep at my desk.

Why do you want to stop taking them?

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Are you taking them for legitamite adrenal fatigue?
There's no harm in just stopping them. Isocort isn't powerful. How much dhea are you taking?

I noticed it only when I switched from isocort to hydrocortisone and missed a morning HC dose one day...I was falling asleep at my desk.

Why do you want to stop taking them?
By legitamite adrenal fatigue, you mean tested for? Then no...

I'm taking 25mg of DHEA twice a day, so 50mgs daily. 4 Pellets of isocort twice daily, so 8 pellets daily.