How do you diagnose hidden Vitamin B12 deficiency?!?

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
I have done a lot of research and now realise all my symptoms could be from a hidden Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Either from lack of intrinsic factor needed to absorb the B12,Low stomach acid, leaky gut, candida or a combination of all of those.

More severe cases can give vitamin b12 deficiency symptoms, which include:

Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Poor balance
decreased ability to walk
sore tongue
swollen tongue
Insomnia
Overwhelming fatigue
Weakness (general and muscular)
Loss of memory
Dizziness
Lack of balance
Depression
Digestive problems
Dizziness
Liver enlargement
Eye problems
Headaches
Hallucinations
Inflamed tongue
Breathing difficulties
Loss of memory
Palpitations
Neurological damage
Tinitus or ringing in the ears

(I HAVE HAD EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE SYMPTOMS ALMOST!)

And i bet some other people on the forum should look into this for their symptoms.

I have read that 50% of patients with B12 deficiency have normal levels of B12 in their blood!

On hair mineral analysis my cobalt level was 0.2 range (0.2 - 0.60)

Now i know EXACTLY what the doctor i saw meant who is a traditional chinese medicine practitioner " You don't absorb properly and all your symptoms come from that, poor circulation etc. "

How can this be diagnosed PROPERLY?!?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have done a lot of research and now realise all my symptoms could be from a hidden Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Either from lack of intrinsic factor needed to absorb the B12,Low stomach acid, leaky gut, candida or a combination of all of those.

More severe cases can give vitamin b12 deficiency symptoms, which include:

Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Poor balance
decreased ability to walk
sore tongue
swollen tongue
Insomnia
Overwhelming fatigue
Weakness (general and muscular)
Loss of memory
Dizziness
Lack of balance
Depression
Digestive problems
Dizziness
Liver enlargement
Eye problems
Headaches
Hallucinations
Inflamed tongue
Breathing difficulties
Loss of memory
Palpitations
Neurological damage
Tinitus or ringing in the ears

(I HAVE HAD EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE SYMPTOMS ALMOST!)

And i bet some other people on the forum should look into this for their symptoms.

I have read that 50% of patients with B12 deficiency have normal levels of B12 in their blood!

On hair mineral analysis my cobalt level was 0.2 range (0.2 - 0.60)

Now i know EXACTLY what the doctor i saw meant who is a traditional chinese medicine practitioner " You don't absorb properly and all your symptoms come from that, poor circulation etc. "

How can this be diagnosed PROPERLY?!?
You check for functional defieincy via urine cobalt usually mean low b-12 or its not being broken down, or transported to the tissue. There is an enyzme that is needed to carry from the blood to the tissue called transcobalamin II that some times due to genetic or heavy metals, virus can be dysupted.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Try sublingual b-12 (the B-12 extreme from Pro Health) and see if your symptoms start to change. It has a major dose of all forms of B-12.

http://www.prohealth.com/vitamin_b12.htm

From looking at another site i have different information regarding the possible danger of using such a supplement...

Freddd - wrongdiagnostics.com

"Pro Health B12 contains substantial amounts of inactive b12s and especially cyanob12 which can be dangerous for some people. Those with Leber's neuropathy deposit cyanide around the optic nerve from cyanob12 killing the optic nerve and leading to blindness. Further there is some evidence that cyanob12 blocks active b12s when present. It makes me much worse. As both active b12s have to be converted by the body to the only two active b12s before they have any positive effect, and as many folks are impaired in one or more of the conversions, we stick with what works best for the most people and will damage nobody. I consider that to be a very inferior formulation because of the inclusion of the two inactive cobalamins.

I have performed tests with 5 hypersenstives and found that two brands of 10 methylb12 tested were top notch 5 stars (Jarrow 1mg, 5mg and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg), one brand was zero stars (totally inactive) and 7 brands 1-3 stars, mediocre. We only tested one brand of adenosylb12 and it was 5 stars as well.

We have found that sublingual methylb12 and adenosylb12 work far better for most people and sometimes methylb12 injections if obtainable and not deteriorated to hydroxyb12. Most causes of b12 deficiency are never found, only a couple of them can be determined by tests. As the answer is the same anyway, supplement supplement supplement, it doesn't make much difference wherther you know or not. Many causes are heritable, and then there is just plain aging related causes which can start being a factor in mid 30s or so in judging from when a lot of people start showing up.

Urine MMA is what is usually checked for b12 deficiency and indicates adenosylb12 specifically if it is elevated. There are also a number of cofactors that will help with the efficacy of both active b12s. The active b12s are about 100 to 10,000 times more active than the inactive cobalamins like cyanob12. With active b12s and basic and critical cofactors most people get good reversal of most symptoms."

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
FWIW...works fine for me and I can see fine, definitely didn't cause blindness :) Cyanocobalamin is the most popular form of b12 in the supplement world. I haven't heard of any cases of blindness from cyanocobalamin. Sounds like a rare combo to cause such a side effect. Never heard of Leber's neuropathy.