Temporary HRT for a heart patient.

tonyjaafan

Awards
Hi,
I realise this is a tricky question and rather a trivial one..but there are many knowledgeable people here whose opinion I wanted to seek.
This question is for my father. He is 55 years old and has had a bypass done 3years back. His heart efficiancy is at 40% right now and his cardiologist i very happy with it. The problem right now is that since November he has been on Dialysis three times a week and lately his legs have been paining a lot..I am guessing this is due to Muscle wasting due to dialysis..He has lost a fair bit of weight as well on it. Luckily for us my mother's kidney is a goodish match and we are going in for transplant sometime around March 20th.

Im going on Monday to consult his Nephrologist and Cardiologist as well but was wondering If we could give him Test Undeconate (Andriol) for the time being to reduce the muscle wasting ? His legs pain a lot and he has to take a sleeping pill just to get some sleep. His BP is normal (130/80 at times 130/90) and infact his BP medication has been halved due to BP becoming low (110/80).
He is getting an injection twice a week (Heprix If Im spelling it correctly) to increase RBC as well. His RBC were around 9 last mont

What is everyone's opinion ?
Appreciate the input.
Thanks.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hi,
I realise this is a tricky question and rather a trivial one..but there are many knowledgeable people here whose opinion I wanted to seek.
This question is for my father. He is 55 years old and has had a bypass done 3years back. His heart efficiancy is at 40% right now and his cardiologist i very happy with it. The problem right now is that since November he has been on Dialysis three times a week and lately his legs have been paining a lot..I am guessing this is due to Muscle wasting due to dialysis..He has lost a fair bit of weight as well on it. Luckily for us my mother's kidney is a goodish match and we are going in for transplant sometime around March 20th.

Im going on Monday to consult his Nephrologist and Cardiologist as well but was wondering If we could give him Test Undeconate (Andriol) for the time being to reduce the muscle wasting ? His legs pain a lot and he has to take a sleeping pill just to get some sleep. His BP is normal (130/80 at times 130/90) and infact his BP medication has been halved due to BP becoming low (110/80).
He is getting an injection twice a week (Heprix If Im spelling it correctly) to increase RBC as well. His RBC were around 9 last mont

What is everyone's opinion ?
Appreciate the input.
Thanks.
I bet that you father have may things off.
Low testosterone
high estradiol
high cholesterol (or statin use)
thyroid and adrenals

at any age proper adjustment may be beneficial.

Any testosterone or anything else must be done in proper way.
Test first
figure plan of action
implement that plan
test/verify
and so on

do not give him testosterone without testing.
for all I know his test may be ok, he may need to lower his E2 (for example).
You will newer know whath hi needs until he does testing.

tonyjaafan

Awards
Thanks for the replies..
I hadnt thought of HCG at all..nice suggestion.
Jansz..thanks..I didnt think of that..I would get his blood Test levels done..he regularly gets his cholestrol and tgl levels done.. they are ok..a little high but good considering his previous record (TGL has dropped from 400 to 199).

But overall is it ok for a heart bypass patient to take low dose TRT ? As in no adverse effects on the heart ? Mostly intriguied by this to slow down the muscle wasting he is having due to Dialysis..though hopefully next month we would get the transplant done..