Support for GABA Receptors?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My GABA receptors have been compromised from taking sleep meds on a regular basis the last several years. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've tried GABA without noticeable success.

Adrenal support did not help. Cortef made me feel awful.

TIA

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My GABA receptors have been compromised from taking sleep meds on a regular basis the last several years. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've tried GABA without noticeable success.

Adrenal support did not help. Cortef made me feel awful.

TIA
5 htps, Melatonin, theaniine would have been my first line of defense as well as correcting lifestyle and nutritional imbalances. Numerous people I have consulted with have been able to reduce or even discontine anti depressants or sleep aids once thei body starts to achieve homeostasis. When are doctors going to wake up and smell the coffee. What before its too late to where there could be permanent damage that could occur. Many dr's live in a bandaid methodology approach. This is not their fought, but rather what is being taught in medical school. I wonder why because who funds all the research and funds medical school ... THE DRUG COMPANIES !! GO FIGURE

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
5 htps, Melatonin, theaniine would have been my first line of defense as well as correcting lifestyle and nutritional imbalances. Numerous people I have consulted with have been able to reduce or even discontine anti depressants or sleep aids once thei body starts to achieve homeostasis. When are doctors going to wake up and smell the coffee. What before its too late to where there could be permanent damage that could occur. Many dr's live in a bandaid methodology approach. This is not their fought, but rather what is being taught in medical school. I wonder why because who funds all the research and funds medical school ... THE DRUG COMPANIES !! GO FIGURE
Thanks Shawn. I already take 1.5 mgs of melatonin (with b-6 and a little theanine in it), as well as 100 mgs of 5HTP. It's not getting it done. Doesn't make me tired.

My meds have really done a number on me. I have to take muscle relaxants for my pain issues, as well as benzos/hypnotics for sleep issues (messed up circadian rhythm, frequent awakenings from post-surgical pain, and apnea that I have not been able to manage with CPAP, to date), all which have compromised my GABA receptors.

Is there anything that can be taken to actually re-sensitize the GABA receptors such that melatonin, 5HTP etc can get it done? The sleep deprivation is really tearing the ass out of me, exacerbating my pain and muddling my cognition and memory.

Thanks a lot, Shawn and anyone else.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Is there anything that can be taken to actually re-sensitize the GABA receptors such that melatonin, 5HTP etc can get it done? The sleep deprivation is really tearing the ass out of me, exacerbating my pain and muddling my cognition and memory.
Hey jinxie, I know how you feel... having severe insomnia myself... it sux. I think the only way to re-sensitize your GABA receptors is to stay away from any GABA-related supplements for awhile, and then use them sparingly afterward. For awhile I was using phenibut or temazepan too often for sleep. I recently switched to anti-histamines (benadryl or unisom) because I believe they are less harmful to use long term. Soon I hope to be off all this sh*t. The only real solution to sleep problems is to find the root cause; but its usually different for everyone! Take care bro.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hey jinxie, I know how you feel... having severe insomnia myself... it sux. I think the only way to re-sensitize your GABA receptors is to stay away from any GABA-related supplements for awhile, and then use them sparingly afterward. For awhile I was using phenibut or temazepan too often for sleep. I recently switched to anti-histamines (benadryl or unisom) because I believe they are less harmful to use long term. Soon I hope to be off all this sh*t. The only real solution to sleep problems is to find the root cause; but its usually different for everyone! Take care bro.
I did have one case where I completely recovered the guys adrenals by having a sleep study done.. He has to go through special permission, but he got xyrem which he took for 2-3 months to help reset his HPTA and had low testosterone and every thing. He's now off the xyrem and has gained back the quality of life that he was had. So it might be something further investigating.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks Lean Guy. I hear you. The problem is that my sleep architecture is already decrepit, and I am certain that the anti-histamines interfere with deep sleep -- not to suggest that the benzos do not to an extent, as well. So that's not really a practical solution for me.

I agree with you, chronic use of GABAnergics is no good. Unfortunately, in my case, it's not as simple as lifestyle changes. I know the underlying cause, and, unfortunately, it's not going away.

I'm hoping I can find something that helps replenish the receptors to some extent, short of an MAO-i.

Thanks again, and I wish you good health.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Lean Guy. I hear you. The problem is that my sleep architecture is already decrepit, and I am certain that the anti-histamines interfere with deep sleep -- not to suggest that the benzos do not to an extent, as well. So that's not really a practical solution for me.

I agree with you, chronic use of GABAnergics is no good. Unfortunately, in my case, it's not as simple as lifestyle changes. I know the underlying cause, and, unfortunately, it's not going away.

I'm hoping I can find something that helps replenish the receptors to some extent, short of an MAO-i.

Thanks again, and I wish you good health.
Repair cell membrane fluidity would be the most logical step..;people with adrenal issue have high nitric oxide levels which cause elevated fish oils levels in the blood..Fish oils may be making things worse for several people especially people with low adrenal out put.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Repair cell membrane fluidity would be the most logical step..;people with adrenal issue have high nitric oxide levels which cause elevated fish oils levels in the blood..Fish oils may be making things worse for several people especially people with low adrenal out put.
Thanks Shaun, You are one smart dude. I am taking 2000 IUs of fish oil per day. Perhaps that is part of the issue. I've seen some good doctors, with an expertise in adrenal issues, and no one ever suggested it. I will discontinue tomorrow. Can I stick with hemp oil?

Note, however, CT Scan revealed healthy appearing adrenals, and plasma cortisol levels are mid range, though saliva showed low morning, and elevated evening. I never responded well to Cortef; it destroyed my vision, even without thyroid. I could barely see. And it disturbed my sleep if taken after noon. So, I don't know that the thrust of my issues are adrenal.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Shaun, You are one smart dude. I am taking 2000 IUs of fish oil per day. Perhaps that is part of the issue. I've seen some good doctors, with an expertise in adrenal issues, and no one ever suggested it. I will discontinue tomorrow. Can I stick with hemp oil?

Note, however, CT Scan revealed healthy appearing adrenals, and plasma cortisol levels are mid range, though saliva showed low morning, and elevated evening. I never responded well to Cortef; it destroyed my vision, even without thyroid. I could barely see. And it disturbed my sleep if taken after noon. So, I don't know that the thrust of my issues are adrenal.
I would get a melatonin salvia test done to see what is going on with your nightly hormonal fluctuations. You may need more melatonin..Just a thought
Low cortisol in morning could possible be a result of melatonin spill over due to lack of sunlight in the morning because of the winner time. Hemp is fine to continue..may be adding alittle CLA might not be a bad idea as well. I do not know what type of nutritrional plan you are so balancing other things out is a shot in the dark. Again people with full blown adrenal are none to produce higher amounts of nitric oxde. If this applys to you with out proper testing I would not know. Suggest licorace root plus by metgenics to help with AM low cortisol because it slows down the break down of your natural production . Before bed try 300-600 mgs of phosphodyl serasine that should help out greatly with sleep issue if high cortisol is an issue. Plus what time do you work out? If you work out at night time then move it to earlier if possible. Working out later at night time can affect sleep patterms