Question for the experts on Resveratrol

superone

Awards
  • Established
Ive read products claiming that is lowers estrogen and increases testosterone.

But ive read studies showing that is also acts as an estrogen AGONIST, can activate some estrogen receptors, is a phytoestrogen, increases progesterone, and lowers Cortisol.

That sounds like an absolute disaster. I dont want my Cortisol lowered, i definetly dont want my progesterone increased, and why would i want something that can act as a estrogen agonist?

And people are even using Resveratrol for their PCT??!!

Whats the real deal on Resveratrol? I would love something natural that would optimize my own Testosterone function WHILE keeping estrogen down, sounds too good to be true.

Phytoestrogen Resveratrol Suppresses Steroidogenesis by Rat Adrenocortical Cells by Inhibiting Cytochrome P450 c21-Hydroxylase

"Corticosterone production was inhibited 47% by 50 µM resveratrol in vitro and 20% ex vivo, while progesterone production was elevated to 400% of the control value in in vitro experiments"

chriswhat

Awards
Why would you not want to lower cortisol? I could not read the entire study you posted without a subscription. It did seem however to be in-vitro. See this study, and see if you think it would have any worthwhile effects one way or the other on estrogen.
ht tp://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/140/1/50#R10

spinn

Awards
  • Established
Why would you not want to lower cortisol? I could not read the entire study you posted without a subscription. It did seem however to be in-vitro. See this study, and see if you think it would have any worthwhile effects one way or the other on estrogen.
ht tp://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/140/1/50#R10
Why would you want to lower cortisol if you already have low cortisol?

texastea

Awards
Are you supporting your adrenal gland with Isocort or Hydrocortisone? That may be all you need to optimize natural testosterone production.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Are you supporting your adrenal gland with Isocort or Hydrocortisone? That may be all you need to optimize natural testosterone production.
Sorry if this is OT. There must be better ways to increase cortisol output without directly supplementing it. Licorice inhibits testosterone, so that's out. I've been taking 100mg PABA... I may need to increase the dose to see results. Ashwagandha may also be good for normalizing cortisol. Anything else known to effectively increase low cortisol?

superone

Awards
  • Established
Sorry if this is OT. There must be better ways to increase cortisol output without directly supplementing it. Licorice inhibits testosterone, so that's out. I've been taking 100mg PABA... I may need to increase the dose to see results. Ashwagandha may also be good for normalizing cortisol. Anything else known to effectively increase low cortisol?

Nope, ive tried them all, and i monitor my Blood Pressure doing the sitting/standing test at home and i find that Cortef and T3 are what gets me the best sitting to standing raises meaning my adrenals are supported.

I have high RT3 so thats why my doc put me on T3 only.

When you have low Cortisol then there isnt any Cortisol reserves there to be "output" or stimulated.

So the only thing that allows the adrenals to rest and repair, and build up your Cortisol reserves, or simply rest and heal your adrenals glands to they can put out normal levels of Cortisol again is Cortef.

TRUST me Cortef is the only thing ive tried them all. Also, if you have high RT3 caused by the adrenal fatigue then T3 only will also help the adrenals rest and repair because being hypothyroid causes tons of adrenal stress as done high RT3.

T3 is not hard on the adrenals it just clears Cortisol out of your system faster so just make sure you either take enough Cortef or instead of taking Cortef every 4 hours do every 3 hours.

I also just started taking a trace element called Indium which is supposed to help with Cortisol, thyroid, HGH levels,ect. I'll be monitoring my Blood Pressure to see if it helps.

I beleive that adaptogens like Ashwagandha in combination with Cortef are a good idea and can only help, but not on their own withour Cortef unless you barely have adrenal fatigue which you would find out by doing the 4 times per day Cortisol saliva test and DHEA-S test.

superone

Awards
  • Established
I also want to stress to get all the heavy metals and toxins out of your body, eat mineral rich raw food, use water thats totally clean and free of heavy metals and flouride, use shower filters, eat only organic with not too much sugar, supplement with some angstrom minerals if you are low in any of them, whole food vitamin c, b complex, b12,ect.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Resveratrol is a mixed agonist/antagonist in certain tissues,

you need an agonist on ERb for lipid and bone support (increase bone densitiy and lowers LDL and total cholest)

antagonist on the ERa for testosterone support. (works by blocking estrogen in hypothalamus and breast tissue)

the thing with isoflavones is they work where they are needed for the most part,

as far as progesterone, it can increase it, but i believe you need high doses for an extended period of time

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
as far as progesterone, it can increase it, but i believe you need high doses for an extended period of time
Hrm, this may have been the culprit for me in the past. I was taking 3-4grams of high-quality trans-res (plus bioperine + quercetin) for several months, and had progesterone 2x over range..but I attributed this to the PREG that I was taking at the time, but who knows which product was doing what. I stopped them both at the same time.

I'll have to say that a good quality trans-resveratrol, dosed properly with bioperine and quercetin, acts just like a SERM. I speak from experience. It's great at boosting test. I know it works simply from experience. :thumbsup:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Ashwagandha/schizandra/rhodiola combo. I'm trying this out soon to see how it treats me. Going to add some sublingual PREG + DHEA as well as more vitamin C and b5....oh and the most important part - cutting out all stims except for green tea and the occasional coffee when it's really needed.

Btw - superone, adaptogens don't normalize cortisol via utilizing cortisol reserves. They are non taxing on the adrenals.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to say that a good quality trans-resveratrol, dosed properly with bioperine and quercetin, acts just like a SERM. I speak from experience. It's great at boosting test. I know it works simply from experience. :thumbsup:
Can you name the product? STOKED?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I've used it (PCS, stoked, whathaveyou) in the past. Works great. I also use NP's T-Rez and take Now's Quercetin w/bromelain alongside it to increase it's active half-life. I only take 1 gram a day now though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
maybe this is why I love curry so much! lol! I have to look into this more..

superone

Awards
  • Established
Ashwagandha/schizandra/rhodiola combo. I'm trying this out soon to see how it treats me. Going to add some sublingual PREG + DHEA as well as more vitamin C and b5....oh and the most important part - cutting out all stims except for green tea and the occasional coffee when it's really needed.

Btw - superone, adaptogens don't normalize cortisol via utilizing cortisol reserves. They are non taxing on the adrenals.[/QUOTE]

Yep, i know this thats why i recommend to use them in combo with Cortef, but i dont respond well to rhodiola personally. I think its more of a stimulant or atleast has this effect on me. Ashwagandha is my fav one probabbly but none compare to Cortef when you have low Cortisol.