trt and bones...............

redbishop123

Awards
Can trt make your bones thicker???...I know bones can't grow past a certain age but does that include thickness??..

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Test can cause abnormal bone growth.

joe143

Awards
Testosterone is important for bone health. Low T can lead to osteoperosis. Getting T into good levels should help with bone strength.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Test can cause abnormal bone growth.
Testosterone is important to bone health, but I don't think it causes abnormal bone growth. Aren't you thinking of GH. If not, can you share your research?

Thanks in advance.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Testosterone is important to bone health, but I don't think it causes abnormal bone growth. Aren't you thinking of GH. If not, can you share your research?

Thanks in advance.

No prob.

http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/3/401

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/82/8/2386?ijkey=97dca9b0cd31de07acf343a3d3ca8a6dd3adb181&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/72/10/2629

http://xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?DocID=5238

"abnormal bone growth" Is listed by nearly every manufacturer. these were just some of the first things that came up when i ran a quick search.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but I don't see how these studies show that TRT causes skeletal growth. I know it's beneficial to bone mineral density - one of the reasons I started therapy. Your studies show the results of large amounts of testosterone injected into the growth plates of immature animals. Testosterone does raise IGF levels, and IGF can cause skeletal growth, but only in significant amounts. I doubt that testosterone replacement therapy can generate enough IGF to achieve those results.

My baseline IGF is 139 ng/ml. On 1 IU of GH per day it goes to 299. When my total testosterone is 1100 ng/dl, and I'm off of GH my IGF level goes to 185 ng/ml as a result of increased testosterone. That's probably not enough to significantly impact cell growth let alone skeletal. Body builders have reported cases acromegaly from GH injections of 6 IUs or more daily. I don't know how high their IGF levels go, but I assume they are significant and unachievable on testosterone alone.

redbishop123

Awards
So what are you guys saying??...testosterone can make bones thicker at any age??..thicker not longer right??....

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
So what are you guys saying??...testosterone can make bones thicker at any age??..thicker not longer right??....
I assume you're referring to TRT. In other words hormone replacement. Healthy levels of testosterone in the upper range can help bone and mineral density, but don't confuse that with thickness. Your wrists won't get any wider.

redbishop123

Awards
Damn I was hoping that they would I have some skinny embarassing ass wrists......maybe my muscles will look bigger though.........

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Damn I was hoping that they would I have some skinny embarassing ass wrists......maybe my muscles will look bigger though.........
Bishop, I mean this constructively: I believe you would be well served by reading up on TRT for an afternoon, including combing this and other boards for information, and then asking informed questions. These are more likely to lead to meaningful, productive dialogue.

TRT is not going to make your johnson larger, or your bones thicker, though it may make them both firmer in a sense. And most certainly, your muscles will respond better to training.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but I don't see how these studies show that TRT causes skeletal growth.
They dont specifically, you are correct. But why would every producer of testosterone, and every medical source i've read, list "abnormal bone growth" as a possible side effect?

I dont have any specific studies showing exogenous testosterone stimulating acromegaly, but I doubt medical providers would list it as a possible complication, if it were not true.