How do people afford their healthy diet?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I had another thread regarding diet for energy and got some good advice and realized that I am taking in way too few calories. This seems like a reasonable diet to increase my energy levels:

Meal 1: 6:45 am
1 cup oatmeal
12 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2 large grapefruit
Meal 2: 9:30 am
1 cup oatmeal
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (or 12 egg whites)
1/2 large grapefruit
Meal 3: 12:30 pm
8-10 oz yam, white potato or 1.5-2.0 cups of brown rice
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz broccoli
Meal 4: 3:00 pm
8 oz lean sirloin, top round or flank steak
8 oz broccoli
Meal 5: 5:30 pm
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz asparagus
1 tbsp EFA oil or natural peanut butter
Meal 6: 8:00 pm
8 oz chicken breast or 1 can tuna or 8 oz Alaskan salmon Spinach and lettuce salad, cucumber, tomato
2 tbsp low calorie salad dressing
1 tbsp EFA oil

Natural Bodybuilder's Diet - My Bodyduilding Competition Diet, Meal By Meal

My primary question is...........it looks like this will cost $20-25 a day....what am I missing? There is no way everyone is spending that much.

If there is another board that is better suited, feel free to suggest.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had another thread regarding diet for energy and got some good advice and realized that I am taking in way too few calories. This seems like a reasonable diet to increase my energy levels:

1 cup oatmeal
12 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2 large grapefruit
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 large grapefruit
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz broccoli
8 oz broccoli
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz asparagus
8 oz chicken breast or 1 can tuna or 8 oz Alaskan salmon Spinach and lettuce salad, cucumber, tomato
1 tbsp EFA oil

My primary question is...........it looks like this will cost $20-25 a day....what am I missing? There is no way everyone is spending that much.

It is expensive, as well as excessive in terms of protein. 13 eggs???? That's like 78 grams of protein, about twice what you need. And 8 ounces of expensive meat every several hours??? Again, too much. You should be shooting for 30-40 grams of protein per serving, particularly given that you are supplementing in between meals. No need for more than 30 grams of protein for those snacks. You shouldn't need any more than 150 grams per day. Crank up the fat (good fat), eat less protein, and you will save boatloads of money, and probably respond better.

In addition to cost, I would think that you would be spending much of your day preparing and eating food. I would recommend muscle milk shakes between meals. 1 scoop and 10 ounces of milk is all you need. I'd recommend coconut oil and hemp oil for good fat sources. Some more fruit (low glycemic index) may be a good addition as well, as your diet seems awfully low in carbs.

Perhaps I am out to lunch, as I am not a bodybuilder.

Hope that helps.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
Yes it helped..thanks.....

And the last thing I want to be is a body builder, I think most of them look like frogs.

What I am trying to do is increase energy....thats all.

roughneck

Awards
Yes it helped..thanks.....

And the last thing I want to be is a body builder, I think most of them look like frogs.

What I am trying to do is increase energy....thats all.
Frogs? Thats kinda harsh don't you think?Designing your own exercise regimen and diet plan shouldn't include insulting the same people your asking advice from.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
your trying to increase short term energy or energy in terms of say a 5-8 hr hike?

also, what is your body size now?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
your trying to increase short term energy or energy in terms of say a 5-8 hr hike?

also, what is your body size now?
I have severe adrenal fatigue and am exhausted almost every day. I also crash when I get home at night and really cant do much more than lay on the couch. I am trying to give myself every opportunity to beat that.

I am 6 ft 215 and work out 4-5 days a week.....in decent shape but fatigue also makes working out hard difficult.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have severe adrenal fatigue and am exhausted almost every day. I also crash when I get home at night and really cant do much more than lay on the couch. I am trying to give myself every opportunity to beat that.

I am 6 ft 215 and work out 4-5 days a week.....in decent shape but fatigue also makes working out hard difficult.
I think you are overloading your adrenals, as well as the kidneys and liver, with all that protein. Fat and low glycemic indexed carbs in place of some of that protein may have you feeling a lot better. It likely will have a calming effect (from the serotonin), which will leave you less depleted. I strongly encourage trying coconut oil and muscle milk, for fat sources, as well as inter meal supplementation. Let us know how it goes.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

1 cup oatmeal
12 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2 large grapefruit
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 large grapefruit
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz broccoli
8 oz broccoli
8 oz chicken breast
8 oz asparagus
1 tbsp EFA oil

I just looked at the link, and highly doubt those guys are all natural. Maybe now, but not always. But hey, there are always freaks of nature. But that's not just because of diet. Good genes and they trained their asses off.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What constitutes 'natural' varies from one person to another. E.g. if someone isn't putting synthetic testosterone in their system now, when they may have for years before, then they would consider themselves natural because they aren't currently chemically assisted.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In order to afford the amount of food I eat, I try to limit the amount of times I eat out every month. Think about it, you and your GF/Wife go out once a week and spend $30-40, possibly more if you are like me and prefer Red Lobster (The caloric value of their cheddar bay biscuits is hard to pass up). By the time you look at it over he course of a month, I could buy lots of meat/rice for that money. As well as protein powder, eggs, Gatorade powder, what have you. It's all about budgeting. :food:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
costco, sams, buy in bulk.
Bingo!

boneless, skinless chicken breasts by the 10-lb bag
eggs - 18 for the grocery cost for 12
grapefruit by the 10# bag
rice by the 10#/25#/50# bag
veg by the half-bushel - fruit, too

Don't get your whey from them, though - and, generally, Costco is better than Sam's