Nutiva Coconut Oil -- Organic, Cold Pressed -- Is the BOMB!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Man, this stuff is delicious! Way better than butter, IMO. I can hardly wait to cook with it. Taste great on a pita cracker.

Hopefully, this experiment in sat. fat yields a productive outcome. Last time a doctor suggested sat. fats, I went on the egg, cheese, bacon diet, which he endorsed, and that one did not look so hot according to my blood work.

Anyone else getting good results with coconut oil?

I also bought some hemp oil, for salads. Time to get out the tie dye.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Coconut oil is great for many uses. It's also the only saturated fat that will lower cholesterol I think (because it helps boosts thyroid function).

I use it all the time to cook and in shakes. Just be careful using it a lot if you are insulin resistant... I've heard conflicting things about it...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Actually scratch that, whomever said it's bad for insulin resistance before was pretty wrong. I just researched for myself in several places, and each tell me this:

If you are a diabetic or borderline diabetic, consumption of most fats should be avoided. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is different. Because it helps stabilise blood glucose levels and aids in shedding excess body weight, it is probably the only oil a diabetic should eat.
I'm going to stick with this train of thought

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Actually scratch that, whomever said it's bad for insulin resistance before was pretty wrong. I just researched for myself in several places, and each tell me this:

I'm going to stick with this train of thought
Thanks GP. I'm prediabetic according to my fasting glucose levels. But it's likely a function of my elevated catechols.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not to get too off topic, but how does one get elevated catechols and also test for this? Is it mostly from commercial / chemical products such as perfumes, cologne, pesticides, etc?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not to get too off topic, but how does one get elevated catechols and also test for this? Is it mostly from commercial / chemical products such as perfumes, cologne, pesticides, etc?

It's our thread at this point, so it's free game . . .

The primary catecholamines are epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and dopamine.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catecholamine

They can be measured by serum, which can be unreliable because of adrenaline surge from being cathed, or 24-hour urine.

Most common reasons for elevated catechols are adrenal tumor (pheocromocytoma) and acute anxiety/mania. Autonomic dysfunction can also cause this, as is the case with me, from an overactive sympathetic system, or an underactive parasympathetic system.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Coconut oil is great for many uses. It's also the only saturated fat that will lower cholesterol I think (because it helps boosts thyroid function).

I use it all the time to cook and in shakes. Just be careful using it a lot if you are insulin resistant... I've heard conflicting things about it...
How do people mix coconut oil into their shakes. Do you microwave it for a few seconds before adding it?

I just scooped it into a shake today, and noticed that some of it congealed on the side of the cup. Little was wasted, thanks to a straw, but I'm thinking I need to try another approach. It did make the shake taste better -- not an east feat given that I use 1/2 Muscle Milk, which is tasty IMO, and 1/2 ON Whey Gold Standard, mixed in skim milk.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's our thread at this point, so it's free game . . .

The primary catecholamines are epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and dopamine.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catecholamine

They can be measured by serum, which can be unreliable because of adrenaline surge from being cathed, or 24-hour urine.

Most common reasons for elevated catechols are adrenal tumor (pheocromocytoma) and acute anxiety/mania. Autonomic dysfunction can also cause this, as is the case with me, from an overactive sympathetic system, or an underactive parasympathetic system.

Ahhh I see. Damn I would have to stop most things I am taking to get a proper reading then.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No I blend it up for a while..seems to mix ok for me most of the time, sometimes it settles on top

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No I blend it up for a while..seems to mix ok for me most of the time, sometimes it settles on top
I'm gonna try melting it, and then mixing it, and will report back. It's possible that it will solidify once it mixes in the cold shake.

S

shyguava

Awards
Does one get any medicinal benefits out of Coconut cream or coconut milk? Or is the Coconut oil unique in its health giving properties? I have to order it online myself. No damn store locally stocks it. But the supermarkets are flooded in Coconut milk and cream. Not that this matters if that has no effect.

So whats the best way to use Coconut oil in ones diet. Its liquid I take it or a solid that needs melting? If its something one has to melt as you mention it can be used in some sort of microwaved milkshake.

Is it good for libido and pecker performance (lol). Well no sense beating around the bush. Thought I would ask.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
by having an imbalance in your autonomic system. This is the core of getting people back into balance..

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Does one get any medicinal benefits out of Coconut cream or coconut milk? Or is the Coconut oil unique in its health giving properties? I have to order it online myself. No damn store locally stocks it. But the supermarkets are flooded in Coconut milk and cream. Not that this matters if that has no effect.

So whats the best way to use Coconut oil in ones diet. Its liquid I take it or a solid that needs melting? If its something one has to melt as you mention it can be used in some sort of microwaved milkshake.

Is it good for libido and pecker performance (lol). Well no sense beating around the bush. Thought I would ask.
You need to be on an organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil, which is solid, but melts at around 74 degrees. It spreads much easier than butter. You can blend it in a shake. I've microwaved a tbls for 10 secs, and that works even better for mixing with fluids. It also has a high burning temp, so you can cook with it.

Research it, and you will learn that it is a very good short/medium chain triglyceride, and that you neednt worry about the high sat fat content. It's free of cholesterol. This is not the "tropical fat" that many have warned about -- that's the refined, hydrogenated crap.

I bought 54 oz container (Nutiva) for $20. I would recommend a larger container -- 1 lb wont last long.

Last edited:
S

shyguava

Awards
You need to be an organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil, which is solid, but melts at around 74 degrees. It spreads much easier than butter. You can blend it in a shake. I've microwaved a tbls for 10 secs, and that works even better for mixing with fluids. It also has a high burning temp, so you can cook with it.

Research it, and you will learn that it is a very good short/medium chain triglyceride, and that you neednt worry about the high sat fat content. It's free of cholesterol. This is not the "tropical fat" that many have warned about -- that's the refined, hydrogenated crap.

I bought 54 oz container (Nutiva) for $20. I would recommend a larger container -- 1 lb wont last long.
thanks Jinxie. i found a local supplier to order from online nad they stock various sized containers up to about jerry can volume and beyond (multiple container packs eg 1kg x 20 etc - I guess for health food stores needing stock). I will start with 1kg and work up.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
thanks Jinxie. i found a local supplier to order from online nad they stock various sized containers up to about jerry can volume and beyond (multiple container packs eg 1kg x 20 etc - I guess for health food stores needing stock). I will start with 1kg and work up.

Nice work. I figured 54 oz. would last me months. Wrong. I ate 1/5 of it in a week. And I definitely am not gaining weight. It seems to stabilize glucose/insulin levels, and leaves you very sated after eating a dose. I always enjoy it on something, rather than eating it straight. It's great on flourless toast, or even a pita cracker. Killer on a sweet potatoe!

S

shyguava

Awards
Nice work. I figured 54 oz. would last me months. Wrong. I ate 1/5 of it in a week. And I definitely am not gaining weight. It seems to stabilize glucose/insulin levels, and leaves you very sated after eating a dose. I always enjoy it on something, rather than eating it straight. It's great on flourless toast, or even a pita cracker. Killer on a sweet potatoe!
Out of curiousity what improvements in general health and mood did you think it affected for you? i am hoping it gives a lift in the alpha male side of things. Help with alertness and morale so I can feel up to facing off the dorks I have to work with.

E

engival

Awards
  • Established
If you are a diabetic or borderline diabetic, consumption of most fats should be avoided.
HAHAH what are you serious? thats so wrong

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ya that part sounds pretty wrong lol...I am on a high fat high protein diet because I felt crappy with most carbs, so I definitely don't agree with that part of the quote...but from what I heard, something very rich in saturated fat can spike insulin as well. I just keep my diet high in MCT's and mono's, and moderate in saturated fats...while keeping my intake of oxbile and enzymes high to help properly digest and uptake saturated fat and other fats.

The part about coconut oil was what I was talking about. It's shown to regulate blood sugar. Not only that, but it helps support metabolism and your thyroid. Via bloodwork, it will actually show that it lowers cholesterol (which saturated fat typically increases - something that's necessary for horomone production) but this lowering of cholesterol only occurs with coconut oil because of it's effect on increasing the metabolism. I believe it also helps support hormone production.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ya that part sounds pretty wrong lol...I am on a high fat high protein diet because I felt crappy with most carbs, so I definitely don't agree with that part of the quote...but from what I heard, something very rich in saturated fat can spike insulin as well. I just keep my diet high in MTT's and mono's, and moderate in saturated fats...while keeping my intake of oxbile and enzymes high to help properly digest and uptake saturated fat and other fats.

The part about coconut oil was what I was talking about. It's shown to regulate blood sugar. Not only that, but it helps support metabolism and your thyroid. Via bloodwork, it will actually show that it lowers cholesterol (which saturated fat typically increases - something that's necessary for horomone production) but this lowering of cholesterol only occurs with coconut oil because of it's effect on increasing the metabolism. I believe it also helps support hormone production.
I've been taking it for a week, and it's my only dietary change, and I am definitely showing more definition, which is not from working out, as I am very limited due to recent surgeries.

S

steve999

Awards
After consuming about a tablespoon of coconut oil (the good stuff from LEF) in my morning oatmeal for a few months, I had some blood work done, including a lipid profile. My cholesterol levels had increased substantially. I've discontinued use and will have my lipid profile measured again in a couple of months.

Your results might vary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Supplements 3
J Supplements 9
C Company Promotions 0
B Supplements 31
C Supplements 55