Ideal ferritin

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.54%

Ideal ferritin

Does anyone know what an ideal ferritin level is for a man? My doc says 75 is a lot, 100 too much. I'm around 50 right now and taking iron EOD to boost it up.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by LeanGuy View Post
    Does anyone know what an ideal ferritin level is for a man? My doc says 75 is a lot, 100 too much. I'm around 50 right now and taking iron EOD to boost it up.
    Most metabolic enzymes shut down below 25% the mid range if it goes up to 370- Most athletes are in the 130-175 range no supplementation. Enyzme can shut down after 130..
    Healthy women with optimal thyroid, adrenals, hormones, are testing 115 (10-200 ) What does that tell you.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.71%

Hello Matrix,

I'd like to learn more about ferritin and enzyme activity. Do you have a reference or can you explain it a bit?

Thanks
    Last edited by nuker; 10-20-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

Quote Originally Posted by nuker View Post
    Hello Matrix,

I'd like to learn more about ferritin and enzyme activity. Do you have a reference or can you explain it a bit?

Thanks
    Low ferrtiin below enyzmatic reactions causes elevated nitric oxide which causes an intracellular folate, b-12 defieincy. This also can be elevated from endotoxins or carbon monoxide as well. I beleive this is a hidden factor with alot of faigue and metabolic nightmares. Nitric oxide shuts down methione synthase causing a CNS b-12 defieint resulting in decrease on intracellular folate levels as well. This then causes more insult to the fire because it causes oxygen depletion slowing down ATP function resulting in thyroid/adrenal dyfunction. Some people 40% are suspectible to this mutaation of the MThfr. This mutation causes detoxifcation to slow down even more adding more stress to the body..eventually frying out thyroid and adrenals. So nitric oxide shuts down cortisol levels by imparing the methione synthase affecting thyroid, anf other hormonal imbalnaces, as well as low dopamine, serotonin, norpepherine, epinipherine.. As you can see all can start with low ferritin levels..
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.54%

I've been taking twinlab iron 18mg/ED for 6 months... ferritin has gone from 45 to 58... not a huge gain, but better than nothing. I'm hoping to get at least >100... at this rate it will take a couple years, LOL. I am afraid to increase the daily dose because of increased serum iron.
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

I've been taking twinlab iron 18mg/ED for 6 months... ferritin has gone from 45 to 58... not a huge gain, but better than nothing. I'm hoping to get at least >100... at this rate it will take a couple years, LOL. I am afraid to increase the daily dose because of increased serum iron.
    your b-12 and folate issues will cause high serum iron
    go with ferritin not serum levels
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.54%

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    your b-12 and folate issues will cause high serum iron
    go with ferritin not serum levels
    Can't high serum iron be dangerous... ie. "thick blood"?
  8. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

Can't high serum iron be dangerous... ie. "thick blood"?
    only if your hemocrit and hemogloblin get to high
    If thicking of blood is a concern you may want to talk to your dr about adding in 81 mgs of aspirin if platelets are not too low.

Similar Forum Threads

1. When is the ideal time to take your bp?
    By Delta Force in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
  2. Low ferritin, low thyroid
    By The Matrix in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:24 AM
  3. Low Ferritin
    By steve999 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM
  4. Is 2.5 mls IGF ideal?