TRT and sports

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
If you need trt, because of a deficiency is it considered steroids? Say you have hypogonadism and you want to play in the NFL or fight in the UFC and you get injections how do they deal with that? Or what if you only use HCG because you are secondary? I mean technically as long as you are in range it should be okay right?

Awards
I don't think their tests can tell if the Testostereone is endogenous or exogenous, so they just test ratios of maybe total Test to something else, so as long as your ratio is within range you are fine. Not 100% sure about this though

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
That's a good question. I read somewhere that they can tell the difference because exogenous testosterone is derived from plant based sources which has a different ratios of Carbon atoms.

Found the article
[1] For those who have forgotten high school science, the numbers refer to the number of protons and neutrons in the carbon atom. All carbon atoms have six protons. Most also have 6 neutrons; that's carbon-12 or 12C. But some have seven neutrons; the 13C (carbon-13) isotope. Because a 13C atom is heavier than a 12C atom, some biochemical processes handle the different isotopes slightly differently, even though their fundamental chemistry is the same. This leads to a difference in the ratio of 12C to 13C between naturally-occurring human steroid hormones and the plant-derived precursors of synthetic steroids. - Ed.
www.cyclingnews.com - the world centre of cycling

So I think if you are using it for TRT they will still flag you if your levels aren't super high but your T/E ratio is out of whack.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
I mean I don't think it is fair if your body isn't producing enough naturally. I mean diabetics use insulin so what is the difference? Plus explaining yourself would not be fun in any public situation.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think their tests can tell if the Testostereone is endogenous or exogenous, so they just test ratios of maybe total Test to something else, so as long as your ratio is within range you are fine. Not 100% sure about this though
Yes, the tests can tell. Didnt you ever read about BALCO? They found a way to hide this, by also using epitestosterone. The science behind it is pretty complicated, and it would take a shitload of bloodwork to get right just for a single person to get away with it.