High Prolactin

Vidal Baboon

Vidal Baboon

Awards
I have high Prolactin as I have mentioned in another couple of threads.

Level seems to be 500 miu/l in a range of 86-324 miu/l

My other levels are reasonable but I have always found it hard to gain much muscle [even though I'm naturally fairly big without training] and extremely hard to drop bodyfat without starving myself.

My question is does lowering prolactin with meds such as cabergoline lower bodyfat levels? Maybe increase muscle growth with training?

For all I know when I eventually get an appointment through with an endo he may blow it off and say that level is'nt too bad and does'nt need treatment. I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of high prolactin?

Thanks

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
If it is that much higher than normal ranges, I don't see how a doc could blow it off as not a concern?

Vidal Baboon

Vidal Baboon

Awards
If it is that much higher than normal ranges, I don't see how a doc could blow it off as not a concern?

Yeah thats what I figure but I'm just aware sometimes what is considered "normal" can be very wide ranging. Particularly with hormone levels, like some of the guys who's test levels are in the toilet but are told its just the way they're made.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Can't remember where I read it but Bromocriptine is said to help with fat loss, and even have some sexual enhancing properties.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
You need to get an MRI of your head to rule out a pituitary problem. With your prolactin level almost double the upper limit your doctor might be an idiot. My endo told me since my prolactin was only slightly elevated a pituitary tumor is unlikely, however if it was a few hundred over range then it might be a problem. I take bromo to help lower it, but I am thinking of dropping it. For you it might work wonders maybe you should see an endo. High prolactin can screw you up low libido, lactating, low test........

HQProperty

Awards
were you fasting when you did the blood work? did you blow a load the nite before? if u did then it elevates the prolacin but you definitely need to rule out a pituitary tumor. so get that MRI done. Find another Endo. My prolacin was slightly elevated:

Prolactin, Serum 22 ng/mL
Normal Level Should be 3-18

i was taking bromocripine for 4-5 months but started feeling side effects so i stopped taking it. Also i didnt fast and had sex the night before so maybe that is why my prolactin was high.

good luck

Vidal Baboon

Vidal Baboon

Awards
were you fasting when you did the blood work? did you blow a load the nite before? if u did then it elevates the prolacin but you definitely need to rule out a pituitary tumor. so get that MRI done. Find another Endo. My prolacin was slightly elevated:

Prolactin, Serum 22 ng/mL
Normal Level Should be 3-18

i was taking bromocripine for 4-5 months but started feeling side effects so i stopped taking it. Also i didnt fast and had sex the night before so maybe that is why my prolactin was high.

good luck
I've had my prolactin tested twice. First time it was over 635 miu/l on a range of 86-324.

Second time was 543mIU/l same scale.
I had sex the morning of the second test but no idea if I did on the first one.

I think there is definately an issue there though so I am trying to book an endo appointment. I will also let them know my brother had a pituitary tumour which caused him to have acromegaly [too much GH] so I will look to get an MRI of my head done as there may be a link?

What sides were you getting from the bromo guys?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

HQProperty

Awards
I've had my prolactin tested twice. First time it was over 635 miu/l on a range of 86-324.

I think there is definately an issue there though so I am trying to book an endo appointment. I will also let them know my brother had a pituitary tumour which caused him to have acromegaly [too much GH] so I will look to get an MRI of my head done as there may be a link?

not sure if others got any sides but i did. my body started feeling really warm and my head started feeling cold after taking the bromo. I happend a few times so i told my endo and he told me to stop taking it for now.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established

Sometimes I get a little dizzy and sometimes nauseous, but its not that bad it is minor and infrequent. I am almost sure the benefits will out weigh any sides for you. Your prolactin levels are high. If Bromo doesn't agree with you try Cabergoline.

Vidal Baboon

Vidal Baboon

Awards
Thanks fella's.

What sorts of effects were you getting from the high prolactin?

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
What sorts of effects were you getting from the high prolactin?
Low libido and not sure if it was prolactin but kind of tired and even depressed maybe?

I was on bromo also got a bit dizzy at times but nothing major

Vidal Baboon

Vidal Baboon

Awards
Low libido and not sure if it was prolactin but kind of tired and even depressed maybe?

I was on bromo also got a bit dizzy at times but nothing major

Sounds like me mate.

Often tired despite lots of sleep, Poor libido [although that has improved a bit since having a varicocele embolization], terrible recovery time from sex,
zero motivation for most things. A tick box list for what I thought was a testosterone deficiency.

For years I have been wondering what the hell is up with me and maybe this is it?

docall18

docall18

Awards
I had prolactin over-range in two tests. My last test found it mid-range.
I think it went over-range from being slightly hypothyroid, and once i got that optimised it seems to have came down..

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Often tired despite lots of sleep, Poor libido [although that has improved a bit since having a varicocele embolization], terrible recovery time from sex,
zero motivation for most things. A tick box list for what I thought was a testosterone deficiency.
I feel you Bro. No matter if I slept 12 hrs I would still feel tired. About motivation I would find myself starting new projects but never finishing them, would lose interest really fast. Libido sucked too.

For years I have been wondering what the hell is up with me and maybe this is it?
Maybe, have your prolactin checked again and if it is out of range visit your endo. Mine was very high but I didn't continue the treatment therefore, symptoms are still there, I have been thinking about having some more bloodwork done and paying another visit to my doc. High prolactin can really mess you up, so visit an endo asap.