Ketos diet and hormones

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Ketos diet and hormones

I did the Atkins diet about three years ago for three months except I never stopped ketosis, because the amount of weight I was losing. I averaged about a pound a day some days two pounds. In three months I lost 75 pounds. I stopped working out and I stopped the diet completely. Needless to say within a few months I gained back most of the weight. I Have been dieting and working out for the last two months. I have not lost any weight, but I know I have lost fat. I can see it and feel it in my clothes. Anyway if I do ketos again will it have a negative effect on my hormones or a positive one. I am pretty overweight now. Also is it possible to do a ketos diet lose weight and the slowly change diet back to normal without gaining weight while continuing exercising? I know slow is better and I need to be healthy, but which is worse ketos or being obese?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Search 'CKD' or cyclical ketogenic diet.

What's wrong with doing a short-term keto diet and then just easting healty after, getting carbs from good sources like fruits, vegetables, and healthy grains like quinoa, or at least low GI carbs? You're not going to gain the weight back fast unelss you're eating poorly.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Search 'CKD' or cyclical ketogenic diet.

What's wrong with doing a short-term keto diet and then just easting healty after, getting carbs from good sources like fruits, vegetables, and healthy grains like quinoa, or at least low GI carbs? You're not going to gain the weight back fast unelss you're eating poorly.
    I stopped exercising and went back to eating how I did before so yeah my fault. So right now I am exercising and "dieting" mostly just high protein. My weight is sitting, but my muscles are getting bigger and more toned and my clothes are looser except in the arms. Anyway if I go on the ketos diet and then come off and return to my routine now and diet will i gain the weight back?

My workout routine is:

Weight training complete body workout 5 times a week

Cardio Mountain biking 45 min-1hr 5 times a week

2 days off rest every week

Diet (without going into to much detail)

8:00 Muscle milk lite protein shake with water

10:00 1 cup oatmeal 2 pack equal 1/2 cup 3%milk 1 multivitamin, fish oil capsule

12:00 Chicken breast 8-10 oz and potato with a vegetable, fish oil capsule

5:00 Muscle milk lite protein shake with water

8:00 Chicken breast 8-10 oz and potato with a vegetable, fish oil capsule

10:00 1 TBSP virgin coconut oil, 1/2 cup peanuts, and a zma
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.04%

I'm sorry, I read your post wrong the first time so I had to edit my post:

You will gain some weight back, but if you stick to a high protein, healthy diet you won't gain fat back, you will hold more water again (carboHYDRATES sit in a watery solution making you hold more water) so you will have probably 5 or 10 pounds of carbohydrate weight come back when you return to a more normal diet. Just be sure you dont go wild with the carbs when you come off the keto!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.76%

i would suggest getting rid of that Protein shake. its doing more harm than good.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Quote Originally Posted by engival View Post
    i would suggest getting rid of that Protein shake. its doing more harm than good.
    Please explain and suggest an alternative. What about Optimum nutrition or all the whey?
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.76%

Protein powders are the culprit proteins

What is significant in the various studies of protein intake and bone density is that the studies which purported to show protein intake caused calcium loss were not conducted with real foods but with isolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders of the sort used by low-carb dieters and athletes. The reason why these amino acids and fat-free protein powders caused calcium loss while the fat meat diet did not is because protein, calcium, and minerals require the fat-soluble vitamins A and D for their assimilation and utilisation by the body. When protein is consumed without these factors it upsets the normal biochemistry of the body and mineral loss results.[xviii] True vitamin A and full-complex vitamin D are only found in animal fats. Furthermore, saturated fats that are present with meat are essential for proper calcium deposition in the bones.[xix] It should be no surprise, therefore that vegan diets have been shown to place women at the greatest risk for osteoporosis.[xx] [xxi]

The claim that animal protein intake causes calcium loss from the bones is another popular nutritional myth that has no backing in nutritional science. The studies that supposedly showed protein to cause calcium loss in the urine were NOT done with real, whole foods, but withisolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders (3).

When studies were done with people eating meat with its fat, NO calcium loss was detected in the urine, even over a long period of time (3). Other studies have confirmed that meat eating does not affect calcium balance (4) and that protein promotes stronger bones (5). Furthermore, the saturated fats that many experts believe are so evil are actually required for proper calcium deposition in the bones (6).
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Appreciate it. Considering this and will research more.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.04%

Um...yeah you can drink your protein shakes, you're not going to get 'osteoperosis'...unless you're a 60 year old woman? If you eat healthy and take a good multi you shouldn't have any problems with excessive mineral or bone loss.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.53%

Quote Originally Posted by SFRANGER View Post
    Um...yeah you can drink your protein shakes, you're not going to get 'osteoperosis'...unless you're a 60 year old woman? If you eat healthy and take a good multi you shouldn't have any problems with excessive mineral or bone loss.
    Even with low test?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.04%

The hormone changes that will take place won't really affect anything except your libido...I doubt you are planning on keeping a Keto diet for a year or something crazy like that, if you do it for a few weeks and then return to a clean bodybuilders diet you'll be fine. The only time you have problems from diet affecting your hormones is that you can upset the thyroid by cutting too many calories for too long a time period....but you aren't going to do that.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 17 and Pro-Hormones?
    By rs_pwner in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
  2. Pro hormones
    By J Jack3d in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 12:14 AM
  3. Keto diet and hormones
    By jon671 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0