HCG Shortages?

steve999

Awards
Saw Dr. M in Monterey yesterday. He seems much more knowledgeable about thyroid and testosterone issues than any of the endos I've seen. We'll see how things go over the next few months.

Dr. M was okay with switching me from a transderm (Androgel) to HCG. He did warn that some of his patients had recently experienced difficulties obtaining HCG due to shortages at some pharamacies.

Has anyone experienced difficulties obtaining HCG - - - through legal means of course?

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Saw Dr. M in Monterey yesterday. He seems much more knowledgeable about thyroid and testosterone issues than any of the endos I've seen. We'll see how things go over the next few months.

Dr. M was okay with switching me from a transderm (Androgel) to HCG. He did warn that some of his patients had recently experienced difficulties obtaining HCG due to shortages at some pharamacies.

Has anyone experienced difficulties obtaining HCG - - - through legal means of course?
I haven't any problems.

thenxtgrt1

Awards
...no problems on my end. I believe it does happen from time-to-time. Some folks take HCG as a weight loss drug which increases the demand. Although I believe this craze is dying down.

steve999

Awards
My local Long's Drugs says they can't fill my prescription. They gave me a Novarel number and told me to call. WTF?

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I had problems on and off last few months. It is the HCG diet craze (thank you Kevin Trudeau!).

When there are shortages I've found that the smaller pharmacies lose their supply first. So just take your script to a bigger pharamacy. Actually your smaller pharmacy should call around for you since they don't want to lose you altogether. Mine did.

steve999

Awards
Like Longs, Walgreens was also unable to fill my prescription, although the pharmacy tech wasn't sure why they couldn't get it.

I called the number Long's provided, which I believe was for a Novarel distributor. They asked me why my doctor prescribed HCG, and I responded that it was for testosterone replacement therapy. They told me to contact The Apothecary Shop at 877-792-7684 to fill the prescription. They added that distribution of HCG to non-specialty pharmacies had been limited due to a surge in off-label use, most likely due to unproven weight loss benefits..

So a big thank-you to all the fat bastards out there who are making it more difficult for me to get my prescription filled!

I'm in northern California, so this might be a regional problem. Your results might vary.

steve999

Awards
Quick update. I faxed my prescription to The Apothecary Shop, and I should have my order within (3) days. Apparently they specialize in fertility drugs, so the distributors give them priority on shipments over general pharamacies.

Given the cost of fuel and the problems I've had dealing with (not so bright) pharmacy techs in the past, mail order seems like a more efficient way to deal with filling prescriptions.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
My pharmacy in the Washington DC area told me that Novarel would NOT allow them to fill it if it was for weight loss. It had nothing to do with a shortage.

It is not the "fat bastards" causing the problems, it is narcissistic DRs and drug company execs trying to shut down its distribution.

joe143

Awards
My pharmacy in the Washington DC area told me that Novarel would NOT allow them to fill it if it was for weight loss. It had nothing to do with a shortage.

It is not the "fat bastards" causing the problems, it is narcissistic DRs and drug company execs trying to shut down its distribution.
Well, I would think that if a shortage is being made by the diet, they would start denying it to people for weight loss and saving it for real medical problems. It makes sense to me.