5AT - (dhea + T metabolites causing low T)

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

5AT - (dhea + T metabolites causing low T)

Is it possible for people who suffer prolonged long-term stress, to become low on T due to the conversion of T and/or DHEA into excess 5AT (which combats high cortisol and boosts immunity)?

I was just doing more research into things other than adrenal fatigue, diet, primary hypogonadism and pituitary issues that can cause low-T in individuals. Interesting, seems very plausible that not only low-T can cause depression, but depression / prolonged stress can easily divert T/DHEA into other metabolites which may be over the normal ranges and thus cause TT/FT defficiency.

I'm guessing this is where a 24-hour reins test is necessary to view what's going on with these metabolites. Funny that most dr's don't do this.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Is it possible for people who suffer prolonged long-term stress, to become low on T due to the conversion of T and/or DHEA into excess 5AT (which combats high cortisol and boosts immunity)?

I was just doing more research into things other than adrenal fatigue, diet, primary hypogonadism and pituitary issues that can cause low-T in individuals. Interesting, seems very plausible that not only low-T can cause depression, but depression / prolonged stress can easily divert T/DHEA into other metabolites which may be over the normal ranges and thus cause TT/FT defficiency.

I'm guessing this is where a 24-hour reins test is necessary to view what's going on with these metabolites. Funny that most dr's don't do this.

This is a good question. And one that is boggling my mind. I'm in the upper range in 5-AT as well as most of the other androgen metabolites (testosterone is BELOW reference range). Haven't found a clear answer as of yet. But apparently T is being diverted along other pathways.

5-AT is a metabolite of adrenal DHEA-sulfate and testosterone. With my test being so low, it's confusing to me how 5-AT could be in higher range.

Stress could very well play a part in the picture. As I do I have stressful/hectic job.

And my results are from Rheins urine test.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.7%

I think I read your post over at t-nation. I'm almost positive that long periods of stress divert testosterone to other metabolites to help the body cope with the effects of stress. 5-AT does this in many ways, one of them by dramatically boosting the body's immune system. I have a stressful job as well, although not as stressful as it used to be..I used to run my own business and basically lived to work, was a workaholic. Before this I was suffering a few years of untreated depression and partied a LOT. Overall had a poor lifestyle and to top it off was vegetarian for years. I'm yet to get a Rheins test, need to contact them about pricing, but I'd gamble that I have some metabolites that are at top range or over as well, combined with metabolic issues.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I think I read your post over at t-nation. I'm almost positive that long periods of stress divert testosterone to other metabolites to help the body cope with the effects of stress. 5-AT does this in many ways, one of them by dramatically boosting the body's immune system. I have a stressful job as well, although not as stressful as it used to be..I used to run my own business and basically lived to work, was a workaholic. Before this I was suffering a few years of untreated depression and partied a LOT. Overall had a poor lifestyle and to top it off was vegetarian for years. I'm yet to get a Rheins test, need to contact them about pricing, but I'd gamble that I have some metabolites that are at top range or over as well, combined with metabolic issues.
    Hadn't posted at t- nation, but did at meso. So apparently 5-AT plays a part in immune system. This is very interesting b/c my immune system is strong as an ox. I never get sick. But its also been like this for a while. You know quite a bit about stress connection w/ hormones/pathways/metabolites. Please feel free to let me know of any good sites for resources.

If you haven't done Rheins, what type of testing have you had done?
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.7%

I've only just started researching this after something I read over at t-nation...someone with this issue. Low test, high metabolites. It makes sense to me that the body diverts testosterone to deal with the effects of chronic stress, if the metabolites are useful.

I'm just a noob to all this, wish I knew of some good resources! I recently read a study on 5-AT and it's effects in the body and that's what led me to believe that it's possible testosterone can be diverted to this when the body feels it's in need. Like anything, I'm guessing the body can become stuck in homeostasis if this process goes on long enough, resulting in subpar T levels regardless of lifestyle changes.

I'm just trying to figure out what could be up with me, when my LH + FSH levels are fairly high yet T levels are low-normal. I have no idea what could have happened to make me primary. Never had an infection or anything like that.. Good thing is, HCG + DHEA + Preg seems to be helping a lot...as is treating stress via Stablon (tianeptine).

I've only had the normal panels done via BW. Looking to get the Rheins test done, need to contact the lab about prices soon as well as plan out my trip to see Crisler.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Life Extension DHEA Supplements: DHEA vs. 7-Keto DHEA?
    By steve999 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
  2. DIM + TMG to ensure optimal estrogen/ E metabolites?
    By superone in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
  3. Retain - Metabolites and Liver Toxicity??
    By AleX-69 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 08:09 AM
  4. SD Metabolites
    By dmilhouse in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 12:13 PM