Endos suck. Time to find a new doc!

steve999

Awards
Background: I'm hypothyroid and have been taking Levoxyl for a few years now. I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone, although that seems to be a recent problem as my bone density scan came back okay.

blood test from about 3 months ago:
*FSH = 1.7 mIU/mL (range 2-12)
*LH = 2.3 mIU/mL (range <10 whatever that means)
*Testosterone = 380 ng/dL (range 200-1200)
*Testosterone, total, S = 250 ng/dL (range 240-950)
*Testosterone, free, S = 6.3 ng/dL (range 9-30)
*Testosterone, bioavailable, S = 53 ng/dL (range 72-235)

My endo reluctantly put me on Androgel 5g/day based on the above.

blood test after 1 month on Androgel:

*Testosterone: 233 ng/dL (range 200-1200)
*Prolactin: 6 ng/mL (range 2.2-18.5)
*Ferritin: 18 ng/mL (range 8-282)
*Testosterone, total, S: 416 ng/dL (range 240-950)
*Testosterone, free, S = 14.6 ng/dL (range 9-30)
*Testosterone, bioavailable, S = 121 ng/dL (range 72-235)

Note that my endo didn't bother testing for estradiol, and he's sending me back for a PSA test because he forgot to mark that on the test form.

I had an appointment with my endo today, and he thinks I'm A-okay because all my numbers are "in range".

I asked him about using HCG, and he responded that no endocrinologist would treat low testosterone levels that way unless there was a fertility issue, and even then they would only treat with HCG until the wife/girlfriend got knocked up. When I asked why, he said that HCG was not the preferred treatment that is taught in "classical" medical circles. Also, that direct replacement was a more accurate way to reach targeted testosterone levels. He also made a weird comment about how using HCG would attract "government attention" because it's a red flag for steroid abuse.

I'm going to research local urologists. I might head down to Monterey to see Dr. M. The only downside to that is he doesn't take health insurance, but if the prescriptions are covered by my medical plan, I can easily pay the doc bills.

Lesson learned - - - don't waste time with an endocrinologist.

pete073

Awards
How much are you eating a day? It might be causing all these problems....

darkblue1

Awards
  • Established
Background: I'm hypothyroid and have been taking Levoxyl for a few years now. I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone, although that seems to be a recent problem as my bone density scan came back okay.

Note that my endo didn't bother testing for estradiol, and he's sending me back for a PSA test because he forgot to mark that on the test form.

I had an appointment with my endo today, and he thinks I'm A-okay because all my numbers are "in range".

I asked him about using HCG, and he responded that no endocrinologist would treat low testosterone levels that way unless there was a fertility issue, and even then they would only treat with HCG until the wife/girlfriend got knocked up. When I asked why, he said that HCG was not the preferred treatment that is taught in "classical" medical circles. Also, that direct replacement was a more accurate way to reach targeted testosterone levels. He also made a weird comment about how using HCG would attract "government attention" because it's a red flag for steroid abuse.

I'm going to research local urologists. I might head down to Monterey to see Dr. M. The only downside to that is he doesn't take health insurance, but if the prescriptions are covered by my medical plan, I can easily pay the doc bills.

whene he says all your numbers are in range, why he did he put you on androgel?
Almost all of the endos say the same thing, HCG is not prefereed treatment,

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
9 times out of 10 its probably his crappy ass diet and lifestyles have induced a degree of insulin resistance and adrenal imbalances that are causing a negative feed back loop to the pituitary. Ferritin being low is not helping the pics. Are you some vegan and do not eat red meat due to low ferritin levels or better that the t-4 is not doing crap and not being utliized properly by the tissue due to low ferritin levels representing low adrenal out put most likely. Rheins 24 hour urine test would answer alot of issues

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Low TotalT after a month on Androgel,
likely due thyroid problem.

Do not worry much about HCG but if your doc refuses Arimidex also, watch out.

You have no TT progress after Androgel because
not enough of it goes thru skin
but enough to shut down your testis.
Will need T shots.
When you go to T shots,
do not sc*rew around,
do E2D schedule
use 31Ga 5/16" neddle

do testing at Quest, blood drawn at Quest on the day of T shot but before T shot.

Look at my list for testing, post #44
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jan-s-bloodtest.html
You will have to eat some iron pills (low ferritin), but do better blood test first.

In the mean time
try Betaine HCL
and
Zinc Tally
but first read this:
TESTOSTERONE NATION - Question of Strength

steve999

Awards
9 times out of 10 its probably his crappy ass diet and lifestyles have induced a degree of insulin resistance and adrenal imbalances that are causing a negative feed back loop to the pituitary. Ferritin being low is not helping the pics. Are you some vegan and do not eat red meat due to low ferritin levels or better that the t-4 is not doing crap and not being utliized properly by the tissue due to low ferritin levels representing low adrenal out put most likely. Rheins 24 hour urine test would answer alot of issues
Actually, my diet is pretty good. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 185 lbs, which I think puts me in a very low weight percentile for my height. I don't eat fast food. Fruit, yogurt, and/or cereal for breakfast with coffee. Big salad or a healthy entree at work for lunch. Light dinner. Occassional beer or wine. I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I think my protein intake is sufficient. I walk my dog at least 2 miles/day with longer hikes on weekends. Plus cycling.

So no, I don't think my "crappy ass diet and lifestyle" are the problem, which is too bad, because those would be easy things to fix.

Kingston pt

Awards
If you have PPO insurance, they pay for out of network, you might check out Dr. Crisler.

steve999

Awards
I'm on the left coast, so a trip to Michigan just to find a doc seems kind of extreme. On the other hand, I could waste a lot of time looking for somebody local, so it's not out of the question.

brwnsuga

Awards
Can you detail some good dietary habits and basic guidelines?

brwnsuga

Awards
steve999, I'm a new patient of Dr. M. It was definitely worth the trip out for me to see him. He properly diagnosed by hypothyroidism and mild case of adrenal fatigue. He ordered a complete set of tests to determine vitamin, mineral, and hormone issues. We're awaiting those results to see what else I'll need to be put on (TRT, cortisone, etc...). I was very impressed by his knowledge and attention to detail.