question about shoulder pain from lifting

chaossentry

Awards
I had just been doing 5x5 and was only doing small numbers. i injured myself one day when i felt a throbbing pain doing the overhead press. I gave it two weeks and was feeling fine. No loss of ROM or anything. just waited for pain to subside. Went back,first set,hurt it again on the same exercise and then instead decided to do bench afterward. Apparently it was like working to close to the same area and much like grinding gears i pushed it cause i thought it might be a different area.

was trying to work around it,only doing squats and being careful to not use my arms to put any undue pressure when holding it on behind my neck. Had some left over somal-1 from months ago and took it for a 4-5 days and felt way better. pain pretty much gone.

had a strong night terror on vacay,threw a punch out from bed apparently at full blast and felt like i really strained the same shoulder. woke up with alot more discomfort. It hurt even at night at rest. lifting over my head hurt,lifting it out to the side like the formation of T hurt.

No current insurance to speak of and can't get any at the moment till jan.

Need opinions on what it could be? I have been doing all kinds of stretch and physio exercises such as hand behind back and rubbing the tendon with the index finger,pressing down on a chair or counter while stepping back and forth.

I am guessing based on my discomfort that it might be the supraspinatus since the discomfort can run down to my bicep.

Any and all advice is welcome. I am only hoping it isn't a tear as the fact that i wouldn't look forward to surgery.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I had just been doing 5x5 and was only doing small numbers. i injured myself one day when i felt a throbbing pain doing the overhead press. I gave it two weeks and was feeling fine. No loss of ROM or anything. just waited for pain to subside. Went back,first set,hurt it again on the same exercise and then instead decided to do bench afterward. Apparently it was like working to close to the same area and much like grinding gears i pushed it cause i thought it might be a different area.

was trying to work around it,only doing squats and being careful to not use my arms to put any undue pressure when holding it on behind my neck. Had some left over somal-1 from months ago and took it for a 4-5 days and felt way better. pain pretty much gone.

had a strong night terror on vacay,threw a punch out from bed apparently at full blast and felt like i really strained the same shoulder. woke up with alot more discomfort. It hurt even at night at rest. lifting over my head hurt,lifting it out to the side like the formation of T hurt.

No current insurance to speak of and can't get any at the moment till jan.

Need opinions on what it could be? I have been doing all kinds of stretch and physio exercises such as hand behind back and rubbing the tendon with the index finger,pressing down on a chair or counter while stepping back and forth.

I am guessing based on my discomfort that it might be the supraspinatus since the discomfort can run down to my bicep.

Any and all advice is welcome. I am only hoping it isn't a tear as the fact that i wouldn't look forward to surgery.
Have you tried internal and external rotation cable exercises. I know when I hurt my shoulder adding these in really helped

chaossentry

Awards
nope.....what are they called. I just need assistance. I will look them up to do them.

w3027193

Awards
Check out some joint capsule stretches on YouTube. Kelly Starett has some great ones. Joint mobility in shoulder and back are vital to allow shoulder to strengthen and reduce pain. You have to make sure things are moving right before strengthening can begin otherwise you are aggravating an inflamed joint by strengthening.