SO.. my back gave way :(

Toff

Awards
  • Established
So, my back gave way the other day... nothing special just bit of stress at home, then whilst cleaning up the kitchen frantically i turned to put something in the bin - next thing i know theres a lightening bolt up my back and im on the floor!

This happened to me a few years back - it was a spasm, protecting the muscle around the one that torn, locking up so i couldnt even stand or sit. Doc just game me some massive ibuprofen pills.

This time, damage was milder, and after a few days of strong painkillers, its edvident its the thing lower back muscle, lumber area that went.... I pretty sure i know what it was, poor posture at my office job and poor shoes (im a heel stomper)

My question is, how long before i can go back into the gym? Its still sore so presume i dont train it at all and just do arms etc instead?

Going to stick to machines as i know there are supporting uscles just from walking that you feel tense up, so isolation is key. Ive got a stretchy waist brace, some decent sports inner soles and a new pair of trainers arriving, im also thinking about posture ALL the time.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
So, my back gave way the other day... nothing special just bit of stress at home, then whilst cleaning up the kitchen frantically i turned to put something in the bin - next thing i know theres a lightening bolt up my back and im on the floor!

This happened to me a few years back - it was a spasm, protecting the muscle around the one that torn, locking up so i couldnt even stand or sit. Doc just game me some massive ibuprofen pills.

This time, damage was milder, and after a few days of strong painkillers, its edvident its the thing lower back muscle, lumber area that went.... I pretty sure i know what it was, poor posture at my office job and poor shoes (im a heel stomper)

My question is, how long before i can go back into the gym? Its still sore so presume i dont train it at all and just do arms etc instead?

Going to stick to machines as i know there are supporting uscles just from walking that you feel tense up, so isolation is key. Ive got a stretchy waist brace, some decent sports inner soles and a new pair of trainers arriving, im also thinking about posture ALL the time.
It took me a good 3-6 months of lighter weight and different movements to fully recover from my back injury.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Drop the dropset in deadlifts. Or better, drop deadlifts.

Smb405

Awards
Did you get an MRI? My back went out in April from simply leaning over to pick up something extremely light (small box that may as well been filled with feathers). Dr said it was a pulled muscle & gave me a muscle relaxer & Aleve. Excruciating pain for 3 weeks when it pretty much subsided around day 20....then sciatica symptoms set in...pain down hamstrings/numbness in foot & big toe. Saw another Dr & got an MRI which showed a large herniated disc at L4-L5 pressing on a nerve root. I had surgery to remove the herniated disc 2 weeks later & I am now 3+ weeks post-surgery. I plan to FINALLY get in a light workout tonight but my incision is still healing...it should be good in another 2 weeks & I hope to be back to "normal." However, I don't plan to go back to any exercises that involve bending over...deadlifts/stiff legged deadlifts, bent over rows etc. I'm sticking to chest supported rows & other cable/machine work. Good luck.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
no i didnt. but il amlright now. I can feel the muscle at fault

but youre right, its the muscles that lock around problems to protect things so worth considering if others read this

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue from time to time due to some bad discs.

When I re-injure the area, I'm usually bed-ridden for days and in pain for a couple weeks.... but I get back to training quickly by doing the following:

1. go see a sports therapist
2. ask for Graston work (ask them for some handlebar action - super brutal but works like a charm)
3. TENS stim daily on medial glutes and quadratus lumborum
4. glute bridges, glute bridges, glute bridges
5. mini-band work (around thighs) - side stepping, etc to strengthen glutes while rehabbing (this is also basically PT for hip injuries/pain, etc)
6. Glute walks to strengthen QL's (when feeling a bit better). Basically sit on your ass on the floor, with legs straight in front of you, hold a KB or DB in your hands and walk forward using your glute bones (not sure proper name)

Instead of months, I'm back in weeks.

I also just purchased the mobility star from Rogue Fitness which is similar to a graston tool.

Check out the reviews on it. It's amazing.