Exertion headaches

gbirch98

gbirch98

Awards
Awhile ago I got my first exertion headache while performing a set of leg press. Honestly it felt like my brain was going to explode. Now every time I try to train I feel the tension build up again in the back of my head. Wondering if anyone has had such a problem and what they did to fix it. Thank you.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awhile ago I got my first exertion headache while performing a set of leg press. Honestly it felt like my brain was going to explode. Now every time I try to train I feel the tension build up again in the back of my head. Wondering if anyone has had such a problem and what they did to fix it. Thank you.
What's tour caffeine intake?

Other cause might be dehydration.

Agmatine might help a little.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I had one last year while doing db presses and going to sit up.. anyone excruciating pain dude! Ended up going to the Dr a week later. The whole left side of my head hurt bad! All the pain was radiating from the base of my skull on that left side. Went in for a cat scan and they found nothing. Went to another Dr and she put me on some pretty potent muscle relaxers and pain pills. Basically couldn't lift or even do cardio for about 3 MONTHS!! Long, slow recovery dude.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So in college during heavy lifting cycles I would get pain in the back of my head that would last for a while. Sneezing felt like someone took a baseball bat to the back of my head. Was really weird. Now I'm thinking it might have been exertion headaches. I had never heard of these until now

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Op, my top 3 guesses would be to increase water intake to combat dehydration, stop any pump/NO supplements to combat excessive vasodilation, and (more specifically for enhanced) possible levetar scapulae or supraspinatus strain which are very common with the exact scenario of getting DBs into position on the flat bench.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's very close, and very interesting. My pain was isolated right here:

Screenshot_20170620-111721.jpg

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bingo! It's very common, sort of burns along the muscle fiber, and can radiate up the back of the head clear to the scalp

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For me, less burn and more of a very dull, throbbing pain.. Literally felt like a 24/7 hangover..

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds awful man, I've never had it that bad. I'm assuming it has subsided and it isnt an issue anymore, right?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nah man, completely gone! Months of rest and recovery.. All gains were lost, but the pain is gone.

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I had the same problem a few years ago triggered while doing squats. Like enhanced I went to my dr and got an MRI (ruled out family history of aneurysm).

They are blindingly painful and rest is the only solution. My were caused by holding my breath on heavy lifts and spiking my BP! I took some time off (2-3 weeks I think) and started warming up and breathing properly.

I've read a number of factors can trigger them. Holding breath, too much stims (raises BP), dehydrated, etc. You need to figure out your trigger(s) while you rest and correct it when you come back.

I was able to do calisthenics while resting. Helped me not backslide too much.

Good luck to you.