Hamstring Injury

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Late last year tore both my hamstrings playing dek hockey. Black and blue inside the back part of the knees and up the hamstrings.

Let time heal and have been doing stiff dead lifts, good mornings etc. Can do decent weight no issues.

Here is where things went crazy...decided to do lying hamstring curls and was struggling and slightly painful with 30 lbs...

Thoughts?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Late last year tore both my hamstrings playing dek hockey. Black and blue inside the back part of the knees and up the hamstrings.

Let time heal and have been doing stiff dead lifts, good mornings etc. Can do decent weight no issues.

Here is where things went crazy...decided to do lying hamstring curls and was struggling and slightly painful with 30 lbs...

Thoughts?
tore one of mine exactly like you a few years ago. The motion definitely makes a difference though as its the way the muscle is triggered/stretched that makes the particular exercise hurt or not.

What I did for months after my injury was single-leg, lying curls with VERY low weights and slowly worked up from there. Focus was on very slow and controlled motion from start to finish with as strong of a squeeze as I could do without pain.

Once I was able to get a decent weight, I began focusing on more explosive motion as this simulates more of what typically causes hamstring injuries.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
tore one of mine exactly like you a few years ago. The motion definitely makes a difference though as its the way the muscle is triggered/stretched that makes the particular exercise hurt or not.

What I did for months after my injury was single-leg, lying curls with VERY low weights and slowly worked up from there. Focus was on very slow and controlled motion from start to finish with as strong of a squeeze as I could do without pain.

Once I was able to get a decent weight, I began focusing on more explosive motion as this simulates more of what typically causes hamstring injuries.
Thanks man, appreciate the great insight. How did you blow your hammy?