Biomarkers: A quantitative approach to self-assessment: Glucose, BP, Urinalysis, etc.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone! I'm very interested in self-assessment of my physiology before, during, and after peptide and steroid usage.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I wanted to get the attention of you gurus as I'm looking for those who have used such an approach to monitoring themselves. I know for GH use (and slin), glucose testing is often used (and necessary).

What I'm interested in is how others have used biomarker testing (blood pressure, glucose readings, pulse, urinalysis analyte strips, etc.) to track health and results from a quantitative stand-point.

I am interested logging data over a time and tracking trends, along with macronutrient intake, exercise, and substance use.

What have YOU done and how have you used the data?

Dat, I know you are experienced with blood glucose testing. If you (or anyone else) can talk about what brand of equipment, frequency of testing, appropriate GLC ranges, etc, that would be great!

Thanks everyone!

-Papa!-

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I was given Medtronic's new glucose meter (OneTouch Ultra). I used it a couple of times last night to get an idea of how to use it. It's very simple actually.

Results:
1. Glucose: 100: (post-cardio - 1 hr power-walking; post meal: 1/2 chicken breast, ~1C pasta, ~1/4 C peanuts)
time: ~7:20pm
2. Glucose: 104 (post workout, post mass gainer shake: 75g carbs): time: ~ 9:15pm

Not that these two data points will be worth much as I was just testing the GLC meter out.

-Papa!-

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
You can have your IGF-1 levels tested...before...during & after. This sort of thing helps determine IF your CJC-1295 is effective...for instance. You can compare your data with the data in the CJC-1295 study.

As for blood glucose monitors they are all sufficient. The most expensive aspect is the price of test strips or drums. These are unfortunately propietary. Kinda like ink cartridges for printers.

Go with the cheapest tests strips/drums.

Blood glucose feedback may be important for IGF-1, Insulin, GH, CJC-1295 & GHRPs and MT-II.

It isn't necessary for any except insulin.

MT-II by-the-way decreases insulin resistance and induces lipolysis of WAT in the area of injection.

The best analysis comes from the mirror.

So look in the mirror.

Then run CJC-1295/GHRP-6 & Test-prop for six weeks with Humulin-R & CJC/GHRP-6 PWO and EAT during that 5 hour window.

Then look in the mirror.​

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
on the subject i found when running gh without slin(i like to take a few weeks off slin every now and then) my BSLs(blood sugar level) rise. i counter this with 2 x 500mg Metformin(1 am/1 pm). increases insulin sensitivity(lowers resistance).

did not know MTII did so, thanks Dat. any idea if the minute dosages of MTII work?i just hated the damn freckles it gave me so I stopped it, got a freezer full of vials,lol.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
on the subject i found when running gh without slin(i like to take a few weeks off slin every now and then) my BSLs(blood sugar level) rise. i counter this with 2 x 500mg Metformin(1 am/1 pm). increases insulin sensitivity(lowers resistance).

did not know MTII did so, thanks Dat. any idea if the minute dosages of MTII work?i just hated the damn freckles it gave me so I stopped it, got a freezer full of vials,lol.
MTII gave you freckles? They were temporary I'm assuming (hyperpigmentation from MTII).

I was just talking w/a friend yesterday about MTII. I may chat with you about it Pumb if you don't mind. I'd like some color, as I'm WHITE and don't like to get too much sun due to UV damage and all that nonsense :)

Also, my waking blood glucose was 78. I only got up and ate once last night (~1am...had a small handful of peanuts). Is this a "normal" bsl upon waking???

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
MTII gave you freckles? They were temporary I'm assuming (hyperpigmentation from MTII).

I was just talking w/a friend yesterday about MTII. I may chat with you about it Pumb if you don't mind. I'd like some color, as I'm WHITE and don't like to get too much sun due to UV damage and all that nonsense :)

Also, my waking blood glucose was 78. I only got up and ate once last night (~1am...had a small handful of peanuts). Is this a "normal" bsl upon waking???
of course buddy any time.
yes thats a perfectly normal bsl. around 4.3 mmol/l. yes perfect. my fasting level was 4.1 mmol/l.

edit:
To convert mmol/L of glucose to mg/dL, multiply by 18.

To convert mg/dL of glucose to mmol/L, divide by 18 or multiply by 0.055.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I've been running it for 3 weeks or so. I tan easily so just 10mg made me as dark as I want. Plus the stuff I have is pretty darn potent. Now I just maintain.

Its hard to equate rodent dosages to humans. I have accumulated about 10 studies I want to read before I write up something.

I should have taken blood glucose readings. I usually feel it when I come off slin as well. This time I didn't....perhaps the MT-II was the difference.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday I came home from work and had a turkey pattie (~20g protein) and some mixed veggies (no carbs), then I hit the gym. PWO glucose was 68. I had a PWO shake (~55g whey protein, 40g carbs, 6g fat), then power-walked ~45min. Glucose was at 80.

My previous fasting (waking) bsl was 78. I'm assuming a reading of 68 is "ok" considering I worked out w/o consuming carbs in a couple hours. (????)

During the morning and day, I had plenty of carbs (oatmeal, Kashi snack bars, waxy maise, etc). I'd say around 200g.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd start contributing tonight papa, but i'm SO tired right now. I have this thread sub'd though. Tomorrow i shall return. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Oh alright, one post tonight. :D

A normal fasting blood glucose level is between 70-110mg/dl. It used to be within the 80-120mg/dl range when i graduated many years ago, but has since been updated due to supportive research studies and risk factor involvement.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday I came home from work and had a turkey pattie (~20g protein) and some mixed veggies (no carbs), then I hit the gym. PWO glucose was 68. I had a PWO shake (~55g whey protein, 40g carbs, 6g fat), then power-walked ~45min. Glucose was at 80.

My previous fasting (waking) bsl was 78. I'm assuming a reading of 68 is "ok" considering I worked out w/o consuming carbs in a couple hours. (????)

During the morning and day, I had plenty of carbs (oatmeal, Kashi snack bars, waxy maise, etc). I'd say around 200g.
Yes - Utilizing your available circulating glucose and glycogen stores from weight training can cause a dip in your BGL(Blood Glucose Level.)

Gluconeogenesis/Glycogenolysis can sometimes fall behind when glycogen stores are severely depleted. You body utilizes different compensatory mechanisms for basal blood sugar regulation when this occurs.

Glucagon is a substance released from beta-cells located within the pancreas that helps to enhance stored gycogen breakdown, as well as the formation/synthesis of new glucose.

Your body is in a constant state of assessing the situation, and then responding appropriately if one mechanism fails to regulate. In other words, having a slightly lowered BGL status post exercise is completely normal. :)

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Yes - Utilizing your available circulating glucose and glycogen stores from weight training can cause a dip in your BGL(Blood Glucose Level.)

Gluconeogenesis/Glycogenolysis can sometimes fall behind when glycogen stores are severely depleted. You body utilizes different compensatory mechanisms for basal blood sugar regulation when this occurs.

Glucagon is a substance released from beta-cells located within the pancreas that helps to enhance stored gycogen breakdown, as well as the formation/synthesis of new glucose.

Your body is in a constant state of assessing the situation, and then responding appropriately if one mechanism fails to regulate. In other words, having a slightly lowered BGL status post exercise is completely normal. :)
Hey I'm glad to see you Trauma!

Let me ask you a quick question.

I've used insulin here and there in anabolic cycles with careful monitoring over the years without any problems. Then last month I did what I always do (Humulin R 6-8iu) BUT ate more than I normal had in the past...but between slin peaks I administered some GHRP-6 and my BG plumetted within 10 minutes it hit 41 at which point I was shaking & drenched in sweat and I literally gobbled several packs of Glucose tabs and it rose back into the mid 50's more food brought it way back up.

The next day I duplicated the experiment with more food & the same thing happened after the GHRP-6 shot...my BG actually hit 41 again and I had to gobble glucose tabs...

Since then I have dropped the GHRP-6 shot with slin and never come close to a problem. BG stays above 80 at all times.

Strange...but I won't EVER let that happen again.

So tell me how close was I to passing out from a momentary BG of 41? I was shaky, sweaty but for some reason the mind was focused like a laser on what I needed to do (prick finger, tab machine, pound glucose).

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
thats an equivalent BSL of 2.27 mmol/l.
its hard to say how close you were, many would already find it hard to stand at BSLs under 2 but then ive seen patients with BSLs lower still fully functional while ive found patients unconcious at 1.9 and requiring a glucose infusion immediately.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey I'm glad to see you Trauma!

Let me ask you a quick question.

I've used insulin here and there in anabolic cycles with careful monitoring over the years without any problems. Then last month I did what I always do (Humulin R 6-8iu) BUT ate more than I normal had in the past...but between slin peaks I administered some GHRP-6 and my BG plumetted within 10 minutes it hit 41 at which point I was shaking & drenched in sweat and I literally gobbled several packs of Glucose tabs and it rose back into the mid 50's more food brought it way back up.

The next day I duplicated the experiment with more food & the same thing happened after the GHRP-6 shot...my BG actually hit 41 again and I had to gobble glucose tabs...

Since then I have dropped the GHRP-6 shot with slin and never come close to a problem. BG stays above 80 at all times.

Strange...but I won't EVER let that happen again.

So tell me how close was I to passing out from a momentary BG of 41? I was shaky, sweaty but for some reason the mind was focused like a laser on what I needed to do (prick finger, tab machine, pound glucose).
Thanks man, glad to contribute! :)

I can't stress enough how dangerous of a hormone insulin can be. Everybody has a different threshold before they become symptomatic or unconscious from a hypoglycemic state.

I've had people with a BGL (Blood Glucose Level) in the low 30's still talking to me, and i've had people in the 60's unconscious and diaphoretic (Sweaty). Very often when a patient presents with AMS (Altered Mental Status), hypoglycemia is often the culprit......however, then you need to find out why they became that way in the first place (Insulin, oral antidiabetic medications, seizure episode.)

Just be very careful my friend. While insulin is a powerful hormone that we need to grow and survive, it can equally be just as deadly.

If you guys have anymore specific questions, i'd be glad to help with what i can. :)

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, glad to contribute! :)

I can't stress enough how dangerous of a hormone insulin can be. Everybody has a different threshold before they become symptomatic or unconscious from a hypoglycemic state.

I've had people with a BGL (Blood Glucose Level) in the low 30's still talking to me, and i've had people in the 60's unconscious and diaphoretic (Sweaty). Very often when a patient presents with AMS (Altered Mental Status), hypoglycemia is often the culprit......however, then you need to find out why they became that way in the first place (Insulin, oral antidiabetic medications, seizure episode.)

Just be very careful my friend. While insulin is a powerful hormone that we need to grow and survive, it can equally be just as deadly.

If you guys have anymore specific questions, i'd be glad to help with what i can. :)

the technical version of my answer. :p j/k
much respect Trauma, what do you specialize in, trauma?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the technical version of my answer. :p j/k
much respect Trauma, what do you specialize in, trauma?
Yeah, i've worked E.R. for about 9 years now. My fascination has always been with trauma. I've always been good at making decisions fast and trusting my abilities, so the field suits me well.

I hope to get my butt back into school soon though. I'd like to either move up to physician assistant or nurse anesthetist. I could always moonlight in the E.R. if i wanted to. ;)

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Much respect to both you guys.

Thanks pumb & T1 for answering my question. It is interesting to see that there is a range not an absolute threshold.

I won't ever drop that low again for sure. In part because if & when I use insulin it is to actually injest a large quantity of nutrients over the period when it is active. There is no need to manage calories on the low end IF GH or CJC-1295 are being used. Plus T3 helps...

T1 I know it is a pain in the ass to go back into the classroom... but if thats what you want to do then don't waste anymore time...just put your head down and go do it.

I promise not to go into an insulin induced coma if you promise to go back to school pronto. ;)

As for you pumb all I want for you my crippled brother is mass, mass and more mass. :lol:

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established

Thanks pumb & T1 for answering my question. It is interesting to see that there is a range not an absolute threshold.

I won't ever drop that low again for sure. In part because if & when I use insulin it is to actually injest a large quantity of nutrients over the period when it is active. There is no need to manage calories on the low end IF GH or CJC-1295 are being used. Plus T3 helps...

T1 I know it is a pain in the ass to go back into the classroom... but if thats what you want to do then don't waste anymore time...just put your head down and go do it.

I promise not to go into an insulin induced coma if you promise to go back to school pronto. ;)

As for you pumb all I want for you my crippled brother is mass, mass and more mass. :lol:

thanking you kindly my grey-matter efficient brother. :box:
yes me too especially after watching The Incredible Hulk movie last night. wife thought i was crazy when i told her it would be cool to be that huge.:head:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It's a deal my friend! :)

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
It's a deal my friend! :)
Aww G-dammit you guys! I have been pondering going back to school for SO long (well, it seems long..but ever since ~2006). :)

Anyone have a PhD or Masters in the hard sciences? Masters in Public Health or Healthcare admin? I have been looking at PhD programs (cell bio/physiology/etc) but am not sure I want to go back for 5 more years. I love the sciences though...big time. I do like people and working with them, so I came across an alternative..masters in healthcare administration. HUGE difference, but I'm still trying to figure out WTH I want to do! :) I'm almost 31 and I'd hate to find wifey in the 5 yrs I'd be in grad. school....would make life hard. I'd be 150 yrs old by the time I had a kid (I'm iffy on them yet). Hmmmm! :rant::blink:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aww G-dammit you guys! I have been pondering going back to school for SO long (well, it seems long..but ever since ~2006). :)

Anyone have a PhD or Masters in the hard sciences? Masters in Public Health or Healthcare admin? I have been looking at PhD programs (cell bio/physiology/etc) but am not sure I want to go back for 5 more years. I love the sciences though...big time. I do like people and working with them, so I came across an alternative..masters in healthcare administration. HUGE difference, but I'm still trying to figure out WTH I want to do! :) I'm almost 31 and I'd hate to find wifey in the 5 yrs I'd be in grad. school....would make life hard. I'd be 150 yrs old by the time I had a kid (I'm iffy on them yet). Hmmmm! :rant::blink:
The only thing that holds me back is i want kids with the wife soon. While i could still probably swing it, i want to be an active role in my kids lives.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Whacked Anabolics 26
Supplements 11