What the freak!! Igf side effects.

turbofish

Awards
What is going on here? I have been taking 20 mcg of IGF ED for the last month. Having great results with healing my shoulder. However I have noticed the past two weeks my hair is falling out. Its to the point that I am cutting my cycle short. What is the deal here. Did I get bunk stuff? Not to my knowledge does IGF have any type of side effects like that. What do you guys think?

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I have not come across any negative side effects of IGF-1 aside from it speeding up the growth of tumors and possible organ growth issues.

Did you get a COA with your IGF-1?

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
That is hella weird. Have your balls gotten noticeably bigger?

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
wtf? i do have a friend that got alopecia whilst using T3 but not igf-1.

if anything you would expect faster hair growth, I certainly get it while on igf.

in studies where finestride was used, patients showed increased IGF-1 expression in hair follicles and some hair regrowth.

The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia

maybe the exogenous igf-1 you are taking is somehow reducing endogenous expression in your body and causing hairloss? thats all I can think of.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Now the question...did you recently run anything else or are you stacking it?
Predisposed to MPB(male pattern baldness)
Stress?
New shampoo?
think of everything.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I got faster hair growth (I am already thinning), but what's there is growing VERY fast, Like NEED a haircut every 4 weeks instead of 6. Haven't had an issue with it falling out faster while on it.

Like MT mentioned, anything else you are on?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
wtf? i do have a friend that got alopecia whilst using T3 but not igf-1.

if anything you would expect faster hair growth, I certainly get it while on igf.

in studies where finestride was used, patients showed increased IGF-1 expression in hair follicles and some hair regrowth.

The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia

maybe the exogenous igf-1 you are taking is somehow reducing endogenous expression in your body and causing hairloss? thats all I can think of.
Nice study Pumbertot! Thanks!

Yes, another study excerpt on Growth Faactors and Hair Growth as it pertains to IGF-1:

In humans, each hair follicle goes through repeated cyclical periods of growth including an active growth stage (anagen), which can persist for approximately 2 to 6 years; a transition phase (catagen), which lasts for only a week or two; and a resting period (telogen), which lasts 3 to 4 months. The hair is shed at the end of the telogen phase, and a new hair is grown as the cycle repeats. In the human scalp, which contains approximately 100,000 hair follicles, normally about 86% are in anagen, 1% are in catagen and 13% are in telogen. Therefore, in a normal human adult, approximately 100 hairs are shed from the scalp per day.

There is no single hair growth factor. Hair growth is an interaction between several different cytokines, however, two cytokines stand out from the rest in terms of importance; these are IGF-1 and TGF-BETA. IGF-1 maintains hair follicles in the anagen phase. The follicles enter catagen if IGF-1 is absent. IGF-1 and IGF-1-R gene expression declines. TGF-BETA triggers the catagen phase. It is a potent inhibitor of hair growth in vitro. Relaxin increases IGF-1 and decreases TGF-BETA therefore it has the desired effect on hair growth and prevention of hair loss
Given this info, I do not beleive IGF-1 is responsible for the hairloss as it would be putting your follicles into a higher anagen phase. However, it may not be unreasonable that lower IGF, in post IGF cycle could possibly cause the ratio if TGF to IGF to be higher and put you in greater catagen phase which may lead to a greater ratio of shed hairs to newley grown hairs... Just speculating from the info at hand...

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Nice study Pumbertot! Thanks!

Yes, another study excerpt on Growth Faactors and Hair Growth as it pertains to IGF-1:

Given this info, I do not beleive IGF-1 is responsible for the hairloss as it would be putting your follicles into a higher anagen phase. However, it may not be unreasonable that lower IGF, in post IGF cycle could possibly cause the ratio if TGF to IGF to be higher and put you in greater catagen phase which may lead to a greater ratio of shed hairs to newley grown hairs... Just speculating from the info at hand...
yes i knew if i found a study you would give us another with great info. ;)

2RIIPPED

Awards
IGF doesn't cause hair loss it helps stop hair loss if anything. I've run 4 cycles of IGF and it has never shed hair from the top of my head where as AAS does. Your probably just prone to MPB and thats what is happening. It has nothing to do with the IGF.

turbofish

Awards
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!

The only thing different besides vitamins is recreate. I started taking both about the same time. I have since stopped everything and am going to stay off for a few weeks. See what happens. I have been off two days and have already noticed a decrease in the little hairs falling out. I have never been predisposed to hair loss. I have freaky thick hair to be honest. There has been some stress but not really anything out of the ordinary.
If I was just losing hair that would be one thing but I have never heard of one day having normal not falling out hair and the next falling out all over the place kindof hair.....

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!

The only thing different besides vitamins is recreate. I started taking both about the same time. I have since stopped everything and am going to stay off for a few weeks. See what happens. I have been off two days and have already noticed a decrease in the little hairs falling out. I have never been predisposed to hair loss. I have freaky thick hair to be honest. There has been some stress but not really anything out of the ordinary.
If I was just losing hair that would be one thing but I have never heard of one day having normal not falling out hair and the next falling out all over the place kindof hair.....

just a comment on your closing sentence. my friend George had the thickest hair you can imagine. then his started falling out everywhere, in the end he lost all the hair and follicles from everywhere including his face and body.
he had used AAS many times and never lost a hair. that one time he was running T3 and igf. we thought the T3 somehow caused it, now im wondering if there are a small minority of people that will lose hair on igf.

turbofish

Awards
Ha ha ha everywhere from his face and body... So now he is completely hairless?!?! That sounds pretty much horrible. Well lets all say a quick little prayer that that is not the case in my situation.

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha ha everywhere from his face and body... So now he is completely hairless?!?! That sounds pretty much horrible. Well lets all say a quick little prayer that that is not the case in my situation.
yes he has no hair at all, no eyebrows no body hair and I have no desire to witness it personally, but no pubic hair. lol.

im sure it wont happent you, this form of alopecia is very rare.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
yes he has no hair at all, no eyebrows no body hair and I have no desire to witness it personally, but no pubic hair. lol.

im sure it wont happent you, this form of alopecia is very rare.
Other than the 'no eyebrows' part, it doesn't sound all that unappealing, I mean never having to shave ANYTHING ever again?

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
No kidding.....I can't stand body hair! Ok, I value the hair on my head, and that's it! :D

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Other than the 'no eyebrows' part, it doesn't sound all that unappealing, I mean never having to shave ANYTHING ever again?
yes i agree with you. eyebrow tatoo would do fine.

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
just a comment on your closing sentence. my friend George had the thickest hair you can imagine. then his started falling out everywhere, in the end he lost all the hair and follicles from everywhere including his face and body.
he had used AAS many times and never lost a hair. that one time he was running T3 and igf. we thought the T3 somehow caused it, now im wondering if there are a small minority of people that will lose hair on igf.
Alopecia Universalis (Totalis) is the condition and is not completely understood. The congenital route has been linked to this form of Alopecia, but also more recent research has shown that a good percentage of people with this condition exhibit higher than normal levels of Thyroid Antibodies which is inidicative of possible Thyroid Auto Immune Disease or possibly pre clinical stages fo thyroid disease.
Who knows if messing with T3 and thyroid homeostasis could possibly exacerbate an underlying Thyroid condition in such a case. There definitely seems to be a pattern which links thyroid function and Alopecia Universalis, so it may not be unlikely that T3 abuse could have had some influence.

Also, I have found new info in a study linking increases of IGF-1 to male vertex pattern balding. I was quite surprised by this find given the role of IGF on the hair growth stages, but none the less:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10025745

Hormones and hair patterning in men: a role for insulin-like growth factor 1?

Signorello LB, Wuu J, Hsieh C, Tzonou A, Trichopoulos D, Mantzoros CS.

Department of Epidemiology and Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

BACKGROUND: Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone-deficient men. No previous study has jointly evaluated the function of sex steroids, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in determining hair patterning in men. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the relationship between circulating hormone measurements and both head and chest hair patterning in a sample of elderly men. METHODS: Fifty-one apparently healthy men older than 65 years of age were studied cross-sectionally. Head and chest hair patterning was assessed by a trained interviewer. Morning blood samples from all subjects were used for measurements of testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, SHBG, and IGF-1. RESULTS: Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]). CONCLUSION: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men.
I am wondering if downregulation of IGF-1 receptor expression in the hair follicle could be decreasing the IGF-1 effect on the anagen phase of hair growth as per the previous study info I posted? Seems plausible. Who, knows. The body is such a complex machine, its just amazing.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established

Also, I have found new info in a study linking increases of IGF-1 to male vertex pattern balding. I was quite surprised by this find given the role of IGF on the hair growth stages, but none the less:

I am wondering if downregulation of IGF-1 receptor expression in the hair follicle could be decreasing the IGF-1 effect on the anagen phase of hair growth as per the previous study info I posted? Seems plausible. Who, knows. The body is such a complex machine, its just amazing.
Interesting study Bob. But you're right the study wasn't designed to draw any meaningful conclusion...so we are left a-wounder'in.

I like this line in the abstract "Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone-deficient men." Makes me want to look into this topic a bit more...

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Here is an interesting few lines from studies that mention T3's positive & negative effects on hair growth...which leads to "hair regrowth" applications of novel peptides. There may be a "research chemical" type solution to your friend's alopecia problem. The discussion section from the study is interesting.

ABSTRACT 1 (snippet):
Previously, we demonstrated stimulation of epidermal proliferation and hair growth in triiodothyronine (T(3)) treated mice. To distinguish skin effects of directly applied T(3) from those of systemic hyperthyroidism, we treated CD-1 mice with either intraperitoneally (IP) or topically administered T(3)....

T(3) stimulated proliferation in a dose-dependent, biphasic pattern with the peak at 0.5 nM T(3) (84 +/- 30%, p < 0.05). Paradoxically, T(3) inhibited proliferation of keratinocytes cocultured with fibroblasts, the nadir at 0.1 nM T(3) (34% +/- 4%, p < 0.001). These studies are the first describing divergent effects of IP and topically administered thyroid hormone. The data suggest that while T(3) stimulated keratinocyte proliferation, T(3) also stimulated proliferation inhibitory factor(s) from skin fibroblasts. - Thyroid hormone action on skin: diverging effects of topical versus intraperitoneal administration, Safer JD... Thyroid. 2003 Feb;13(2):159-65

ABSTRACT 2 (snippet):
Human skin produces parathyroid hormone related peptide. This peptide is a potent inhibitor of epidermal cell growth. - Topical PTH (1-34) is a novel, safe and effective treatment for psoriasis: a randomized self-controlled trial and an open trial, Holick MF...Br J Dermatol. 2003 Aug;149(2):370-6

STUDY FULL DISCUSSION:
A Topical Parathyroid Hormone/Parathyroid Hormone-Related Peptide Receptor Antagonist Stimulates Hair Growth in Mice,Joshua D. Safer...Endocrinology 2006 Vol. 148, No. 3 1167-1170

Introduction
Although the physiological role of PTHrP in the skin is not well understood, mounting evidence suggests that this peptide plays an important role in epidermal proliferation and differentiation (4, 5, 6). The PTH/PTHrP receptor agonist, PTH 1–34, inhibited epidermal proliferation in cultured keratinocytes and SKH-1 hairless mice (7). The PTH/PTHrP receptor antagonist, PTH (7–34), reversed the agonist’s antiproliferative effect in vitro. In mice, ip PTH (7–34) stimulated 3H-thymidine incorporation into epidermis in a dose-dependent manner, increased visible hair number, increased hair length, and advanced telogen hair follicles into anagen (6, 8).

The current project was undertaken to determine whether we could deliver PTH (7–34) topically and achieve hair growth stimulation in that fashion.
Discussion

One of the biggest hurdles in developing peptides for the treatment of hair growth disorders is that there has been no effective method of delivering them topically. In the current study, we formulated PTH (7–34) in a novel liposome cream, which dramatically stimulated hair growth. This represents the first demonstration that a topical peptide preparation can effectively stimulate hair growth.

PTHrP has been implicated as a possible chalone, the hypothesized but elusive hair growth inhibitor that gradually accumulates during anagen and moves the follicle to catagen when present in sufficient concentrations (6, 12) A putative mechanism for PTH (7–34) action is competitive inhibition of the PTHrP antiproliferative and prodifferentiating effects (8).

A unique aspect of skin, is the possibility to directly target it via topical treatment. Our group mixed the PTH/PTHrP receptor agonist, PTH (1–34), into Novasome A and applied the compound topically to humans (13). The antiproliferative properties of PTH (1–34) resulted in successful treatment of the hyperproliferative skin disorder, psoriasis. Whether increased epidermal proliferation caused by PTH (7–34) could exacerbate hyperproliferative skin disease, like psoriasis, remains a topic for future study.

Although the reported study was done with female mice, similar experiments have been done with male mice. The results were the same, consistent with the cutaneous effects of PTH (7–34) being similar in both sexes.

SKH-1 hairless mice were chosen for the study because they provide a background on which changes in hair growth are well discerned. SKH-1 mice lose all external hair in their first hair cycle after birth. Their complete hair loss is related to a mutation in the hairless gene (hr). Although SKH-1 mice appear to have complete hair loss, close inspection reveals that a small number of their hair follicle appear normal histologically.

The SKH-1 mouse model was chosen in part because they are amenable to close visual inspection without shaving or depilating. The avoidance of hair removal procedures removed a potential source of skin injury from our study. In addition, it was straightforward to inspect the mice and confirm the absence of inflammation or injury. In that way, we could attribute the results to anagen and not inflammation.

Endocrinologists see both men and women with alopecia that may be associated with gonadal hormone deficiencies. There are few options available for treatment. Our current study is the first to report the hair stimulating effect of a PTH/PTHrP receptor antagonist topically applied to skin in vivo. Thus, we introduce a novel paradigm to develop topical PTH analogs for treating disorders of hair growth.

References:

1. Kronenberg HM, Lanske B, Kovacs CS, Chung UI, Lee K, Segre GV, Schipani E, Juppner H 1998 Functional analysis of the PTH/PTHrP network of ligands and receptors. Recent Prog Horm Res 53:283–301
  2. Hayman JA, Danks JA, Ebeling PR, Moseley JM, Kemp BE, Martin TJ 1989 Expression of parathyroid hormone related protein in normal skin and in tumors of skin and skin appendages. J Pathol 158:293–296
  3. Atillasoy EG, Burtis WJ, Milstone LM 1991 Immunohistochemical localization of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) in normal human skin. J Invest Dermatol 96:277–280
  4. Henderson JE, Kremer R, Rhim JS, Goltzman D 1992 Identification and functional characterization of adenylate cyclase-linked receptors for parathyroid hormone-like peptides on immortalized human keratinocytes. Endocrinology 130:449–457
  5. Kaiser SM, Laneuville P, Bernier SM, Rhim JS, Kremer R, Goltzman D 1992 Enhanced growth of a human keratinocyte cell line induced by antisense RNA for parathyroid hormone-related peptide. J Biol Chem 267:13623–13628
  6. Holick MF, Chen ML, Kong XF, Sanan DK 1996 Clinical uses for calciotropic hormones 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and parathyroid hormone-related peptide in dermatology: a new perspective. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 1:1–9
  7. Holick M, Ray S, Chen TC, Tian X, Persons K 1994 Novel functions of parathyroid hormone antagonist: stimulation of epidermal proliferation and hair growth in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91:8014–8016
  8. Schilli MB, Ray S, Paus R, Obi-Tabot E, Holick MF 1997 Control of hair growth with parathyroid hormone (7–34). J Invest Dermatol 108:928–932
  9. Fleisher D, Niemeic SM, Oh CK, Hu Z, Ramachandran C, Weiner N 1995 Topical delivery of growth hormone releasing peptide using liposomal systems: an in vitro study using hairless mouse skin. Life Sci 57:1293–1297
  10. Safer JD, Fraser LM, Ray S, Holick MF 2001 Topical triiodothyronine stimulates epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in mice and rats. Thyroid 11:717–724
  11. Safer JD, Crawford TM, Fraser LM, Hoa M, Ray S, Chen TC, Persons K, Holick MF 2003 Thyroid hormone action on skin: Diverging effects of topical versus intraperitoneal administration. Thyroid 13:159–165
  12. Chase HB 1954 Growth of the hair. Physiol Rev 34:113–126
  13. Holick MF, Chimeh FN, Ray S 2003 Topical PTH (1–34) is a novel, safe and effective treatment for psoriasis: a randomized self-controlled trial and an open trial. Br J Dermatol 149:370–376

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Makes me want to look into this topic a bit more...
DBT, I will definitely stay tuned for another one of your "Hair Raising" Peptide Adventures!!

PS- Great study info you have contributed again as well as awsome cliff notes for us all (in a different thread well).
As soon as I spread some more reps I'll be comin around to ya! ;)

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
DBT, I will definitely stay tuned for another one of your "Hair Raising" Peptide Adventures!!

PS- Great study info you have contributed again as well as awsome cliff notes for us all (in a different thread well).
I'm interested in getting your input on Growth Hormone Releasers so I think I'll start a thread and discuss some of the research.

Long story short you were spot on in your CJC assessment...but the interesting thing the studies show is that synergy is created when you combine GHRH (or longer-lasting analog) and a GHS.

Thanks for the Reps comment but I think I'd really rather have a bag of Doritos...must be the GHRP-6 talking. :)

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Alopecia Universalis (Totalis) is the condition and is not completely understood. The congenital route has been linked to this form of Alopecia, but also more recent research has shown that a good percentage of people with this condition exhibit higher than normal levels of Thyroid Antibodies which is inidicative of possible Thyroid Auto Immune Disease or possibly pre clinical stages fo thyroid disease.
Who knows if messing with T3 and thyroid homeostasis could possibly exacerbate an underlying Thyroid condition in such a case. There definitely seems to be a pattern which links thyroid function and Alopecia Universalis, so it may not be unlikely that T3 abuse could have had some influence.

nice one Mr Fett. :p
the T3 part confirms what we all thought had happened to George. yes he certainly abused the T3.

tshaw024

Awards

Quick question... I started my IGF-1 a few days ago and my glands in my neck are ridiculously swollen, any relation to the igf or is it simply just a a stand alone aspect of sinus infection? I've never heard of anyone getting swollen glands from this but I just started a few days ago so thought it might be related

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Quick question... I started my IGF-1 a few days ago and my glands in my neck are ridiculously swollen, any relation to the igf or is it simply just a a stand alone aspect of sinus infection? I've never heard of anyone getting swollen glands from this but I just started a few days ago so thought it might be related
By "neck", I'm assuming the areas flanking the sides of your throat? If this is correct, then you probably have swollen lymph nodes (as groups are located there). Lymph nodes become swollen often times due to infection. Whether or not this is related to the IGF-1, I cannot tell. Any fever or prior illness? Are injection sites inflammed at all? Oddly painful?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
By "neck", I'm assuming the areas flanking the sides of your throat? If this is correct, then you probably have swollen lymph nodes (as groups are located there). Lymph nodes become swollen often times due to infection. Whether or not this is related to the IGF-1, I cannot tell. Any fever or prior illness? Are injection sites inflammed at all? Oddly painful?

Ya Papa, this is the direction I was about to head in :)

If the IGF and/or injection protocol was not completely sterile, could be possible... Also allergic reactions can cause your lymph nodes to become swollen as well, so you could evaluate based on this as well. You could be allergic to the benzyl alcohol in BW (if using that for dilution)or something in the IGF mix (bulking agent,etc). Too many variables, but you could cancel some out and see if it is the issue. Have you (OP) had any issues with any other peptides (if used)? Have you had this issue with other IGF from different sources? Depending on the answers you could try using a different dilutant like NaCL .9% instead of BW, or try a different vendor for IGF. Not sure this applies to you, but your can use this process to narrow things dow if in fact it is an allergic reaction.

tshaw024

Awards
Ya Papa, this is the direction I was about to head in :)

If the IGF and/or injection protocol was not completely sterile, could be possible... Also allergic reactions can cause your lymph nodes to become swollen as well, so you could evaluate based on this as well. You could be allergic to the benzyl alcohol in BW (if using that for dilution)or something in the IGF mix (bulking agent,etc). Too many variables, but you could cancel some out and see if it is the issue. Have you (OP) had any issues with any other peptides (if used)? Have you had this issue with other IGF from different sources? Depending on the answers you could try using a different dilutant like NaCL .9% instead of BW, or try a different vendor for IGF. Not sure this applies to you, but your can use this process to narrow things dow if in fact it is an allergic reaction.
Thanks for the help guys, the injection sites aren't inflammed so I'm going to chalk this one up to coincidence. I'll finish out the week and see if things subside. Also, I've read in previous posts that people have had shooting pains in problem areas (i.e. the knees) when starting out a course of IGF-1. How long do these shooting pains take to subside? Everything I've read said that once the pain subsides the problem area was as good as new, I'm hoping that's the case. Oh yeah, and this lethargy is a *****.

pinkster

Awards
I have not come across any negative side effects of IGF-1 aside from it speeding up the growth of tumors and possible organ growth issues.

Did you get a COA with your IGF-1?
Interesting, I have started a cycle of IGF LR3 after a series of operations (motorbike crash) to just speed up my muscle memory, so to speak. One of the scans I had have shown a possible cyst on my cruciate ligament. There's no way the IGF has caused it, but I wonder if it will cause it to grow. I'm holding off having the cyst removed as I've had enough of operations for now (4 in 6 months).

Apologies for the lame 1st post & hello all