Why SubQ instead of IM?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Peptides like hexeralin, ghrp-6, GHRH, hgh are said to administer subQ. What is the advantage over IM injections...sustained release?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Peptides like hexeralin, ghrp-6, GHRH, hgh are said to administer subQ. What is the advantage over IM injections...sustained release?
The release rate difference between IM and Sub-Q is not significant as it pertains to these peptides.
Method of action is agonism of the Pituitary Somatotrophs, thus these secretagogues need to go systemic to get there.
You could do either IM or Sub-Q to acheive this, but since no specific "local" effect is characteristic to these peptides, IM is not necessary.

Take Care.

PS- There have been long debates on IM vs. Sub-q for Humulin. One side said that IM will cause it to be utilized more quickly and be out of the system in 3 hours (instead of the normal 4+ hours or so) This was welcome for ppl that could not get fast acting Humulog. After much research it seems the conclusion along withsome date I saw somewhere showed that it makes no real difference, both methods have equal clearing rates, thus this injection style does not make much impact on release differences.

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
The release rate difference between IM and Sub-Q is not significant as it pertains to these peptides.
Method of action is agonism of the Pituitary Somatotrophs, thus these secretagogues need to go systemic to get there.
You could do either IM or Sub-Q to acheive this, but since no specific "local" effect is characteristic to these peptides, IM is not necessary.

Take Care.

PS- There have been long debates on IM vs. Sub-q for Humulin. One side said that IM will cause it to be utilized more quickly and be out of the system in 3 hours (instead of the normal 4+ hours or so) This was welcome for ppl that could not get fast acting Humulog. After much research it seems the conclusion along withsome date I saw somewhere showed that it makes no real difference, both methods have equal clearing rates, thus this injection style does not make much impact on release differences.
another well written and presented answer to add to the several I have seen.
ive absolutely no idea why your reputation score is so low, people give rep where its due and Boba(is that as in Boba Fett btw?) deserves a lot.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good post.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Take Care.

Nice post Bob. I've read quite a few studies/research over the course of my career in regard to different insulins(humalog,humulin,lantus,Nph,70/30) and their administration, effects, and onset/peak/duration. It probably does slightly effect the absorbtion and subsequent effects, but probably not to the extent they initially thought. Some medications do benefit from administration through the Subcutaneous route of administration due to decreased vascularity delaying absorption and leading to an overall longer duration. Here's a good read of an article in this regard:

Subcutaneous or intramuscular? Confronting a parenteral administration dilemma

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With some medications this is the intention of using the Subcutaneous method of administration. It largely depends on many factors however. Give that article i posted a read brotha. :D