Myostatin and MGF/IGF proliferation-differentiation mechanisms?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Hi Guys,

I have read a bunch and understand from the literature and studies that Myostatin is responsible for sending inhibitory mRNA for myoblast proliferation and differentiation, thus keeping it regulated against other factors.... If this is not correct please chime in.
So, regarding MGF/IGF for the purposes we use it in our labs here. MGF is what we use to increase proliferation of our myoblasts and then IGF to help speed up differentiation which gets us to hyperplasia,correct?
So, Does myostatin signaling actually "negate", to a degree, the messaging that MGF/IGF triggers at the myoblast receptors, since all these growth factor mechanisms target proliferation and differentiation? How is the MGF/IGF supposed to work if myostatin is sending the opposite message? Is it the large exogenous amounts we take of MGF/IGF that outweigh what myostatin is doing? I just want to know if they are competing messages between these growth factors (myostatin/mgf/igf) with regards to proliferation and differentiation. On any myostatin studies I have read, I have not seen any mention of IGF or related growth factors so I am curious.

Thanks a bunch for any input.