IGF-1/insulin resitance/type 2 diabetes

1. Registered User

IGF-1/insulin resitance/type 2 diabetes

So guys here is my question ...

Is igf-1 a type 2 diabetes promoter, or not. Here is my problem, (I'll make it short so that those who know can easily understand my question).

On the one hand, igf-1 as an insulin like hormone should pretty much act like insulin. And prolonged levels of high insulin can in the long term cause type 2 diabetes ... right??
    Although, It is possible to imagine that the high expositions to insulin (on cycle) promotes insulin sensitivity when you get back to a normal level (~ insulin receptor downregulation on cyle, post cycle those receptors show up again with lower levels of the stuff).

On the other hand, igf-1 promotes insulin sensitivity so that's a good thing against type 2 diabetes ... but in that case we could think that being exposed to high levels of igf1 could lead to insulin resistance off cycle as you are not exposed to the insulin augmenting sensitivity factor ...

So my question is this ... Is igf-1 a type 2 diabetes promoter or not ...
    I am hope I am making myself clear enough.

ps: if the answer is yes, I am sure that it's well dependant on how you cycle the stuff, and that a reasonable/well controlled injection of the substance can prevent this from happening. But my question is theoretical here.

I very much appreciate any imput.

Thanks

Marc-Antony

2. Registered User

Bump!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  167 lbs.

I am also very curious about this too. As are many other Im sure. The problem that your going to run into, while looking for a concrete answer, is that it hasnt been studied enough to really know. If Im wrong, someone feel free to let me know.
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I am also very curious about this too. As are many other Im sure. The problem that your going to run into, while looking for a concrete answer, is that it hasnt been studied enough to really know. If Im wrong, someone feel free to let me know.
    Yeah I feel you on this one, I've been looking for studies on the subject, but couldn't find anything spot on. Then again, I am only 19, so I thought that more experienced lifters would know more, as I am starting to build my knowledge on steroids, and peptides.

If I had to answer my own question I'd say that ppl shouldn't use IGF1 for the longterm, and overdose it because it will most probably have similar longterm effects as insulin (read type 2 diabetes). Key words here are: longterm, and overdose; But, I am quite confident when I say that a reasonable use of igf-1, and proper cycling should prevent this from happening.

If anyone wants to contribute to the thread don't hesitate.
  5. Registered User

Read this

Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I increases insulin sensitivity and improves glycemic control in type II diabetes -- Moses et al. 45 (1): 91 -- Diabetes

IGF probably shouldn't be run long term and you're only using it 3 times a week or so, so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbacker View Post
    Read this

Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I increases insulin sensitivity and improves glycemic control in type II diabetes -- Moses et al. 45 (1): 91 -- Diabetes

IGF probably shouldn't be run long term and you're only using it 3 times a week or so, so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.
    good read. thanx
  7. Registered User

Read all you can from Grunt and Gavin Kane and run it like they say and you shouldn't have any problems.
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbacker View Post
    Read all you can from Grunt and Gavin Kane and run it like they say and you shouldn't have any problems.
    What is your feeling about going hypo on igf-1 alone (no slin) ?
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Antony View Post
    What is your feeling about going hypo on igf-1 alone (no slin) ?
    Truthfully, it depends highly on the individual.
  10. Registered User

Regarding IGF1 increaing insulin sensitivity, that can be a little tricky. It increases sensativity initially but longterm decreases it. IGF1 can be a potent insulin mimetic, it can DEFINITELY lower your blood sugar. Unfortunately some studies use the lowered blood sugar as an indication of decrease insulin resistance when in truth it is just because IGF1 itself can act like insulin.

Voilą, here is my conclusion.
  11. Registered User

HGH was shown in the 1990's to increase insulin levels in a transient fashion. After one is on it for 4-6 months, the changes clear up. Based on that, it has been stated that this does not in anyway suggest an increased risk for diabetes. And given the reduced fat, increased muscle mass, improved sense of well-being and resulting improvement in activity... those aspects will reduce one's risks for diabetes.

If you are a diabetic who monitors blood sugars and changes insulin or drug doses to suit, you will be making compensations as you do and there should be no issues at all.
  12. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

yea this topic comes up every now and then...scares me a little....nobody wants to be a diabetic for a few pounds of muscle....i only use a max 2 times a week,every now and then.......
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.

IGF-1 does not bind to any significant degree to the insulin receptor, making insulin desensitization a non-issue. LR3 IGF-1 is not a promoter of type 2 diabetes since it lowers glycemia through its own separate mechanism. Although it was found to be a promoter of diabetic retinopathy in some cases of people who already have diabetes.
  14. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76 View Post
    IGF-1 does not bind to any significant degree to the insulin receptor, making insulin desensitization a non-issue. LR3 IGF-1 is not a promoter of type 2 diabetes since it lowers glycemia through its own separate mechanism. Although it was found to be a promoter of diabetic retinopathy in some cases of people who already have diabetes.
    sigh.............thanks for the reasurance grunt.....DAM your pretty jacked for a bird lookin thing..lol
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    sigh.............thanks for the reasurance grunt.....DAM your pretty jacked for a bird lookin thing..lol
    Don't make fun of Horus. :bruce2:

I will post pics in a couple months. Right now I'm taking a month off the gym, then finishing this cut I started a while ago...
  16. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76 View Post
    Don't make fun of Horus. :bruce2:

I will post pics in a couple months. Right now I'm taking a month off the gym, then finishing this cut I started a while ago...
    hahaha you gave the bird a name......ahhh too funny bro
  17. Registered User

Horus is an Egyptian God with a head of a Falcon and the body of a man.
  18. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

hmmmmm,i guess i'm the only one here that doesn't study about egyptian gods.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.

It's OK you are more jacked than Horus.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Increased IGF-1 and Insulin Resitance/Sensitivity
    By qwestar in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM
  2. Can Lr3 IGF use make one a diabetic ?
    By heavyperformer in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 11:41 AM
  3. IGF and insulin together
    By jjjd in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 05:32 PM
  4. timing issues with igf and insulin
    By GH_MAN in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
  5. IGF-1, insulin and muscle building ?